Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

934991 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 277 278 279 280 281 ... 315 Previous Next
  • KimKnapp0 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 8, 2011

Hello Everyone! Thank you for the warm welcome. I am so glad I chimed in and joined the group. Looking forward to learning from everyone.

Tomorrow is Hill Training day. I usually run our parking garage up and down until I reach my distance. We get up and run early before everyone starts leaving for work. Tomorrow I am off ... WoooHoooo, so plan to drive to the park, trail runs along the bayou and there are many steep grades and rolling hills. Very wooded so I don't go alone and especially in the dark! That's why I run the parking garage... hills are where you find them. Need to kick out a 7 miler tomorrow...looking forward to watching the world wake up! Anyone else here run parking garages?

Shoes: Just switched from Nike to Asics. I actually love the new shoe. My foot measured larger this time. I was already a full size up from my regular shoe size.  Yikes!  it's true, my foot changed with the distance and frequency of running. They sold me oars with the shoes... they are like boats!

I have read some of the conversation thread about heart rate. This is something I have not done... calibrated my heart rate... at least not by the text book method. I know my easy pace 11 minute mile, when I can say ABC's and maintain conversation... mouth closed and breathing through nose the whole time....sight seeing as I run... naming all the birds etc....  When I kick it up a notch I can still talk but not as easily and I notice I tend to have my mouth open a bit when I breath. I am comfortable and run at 10 min pace. When I go faster, feels like I glide along but the breathing is labored and my form suffers a bit, I do catch it and make corrections.... when I am at 9 or faster pace. From what I have been reading the Heart Rate devices are not that accurate... I was thinking about getting one and trying it out, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Next week I head to Florida to be with my family. Can't wait to be home and get some beach runs in.

y'all  have a wonderful July 4th!

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Happy Independence Day all of you Mighty Masters! I hope everyone got their run in and are able to celebrate our freedom!

Kim, welcome! Running parking ramps...that is great thinking out of the box! Today was hill training for me, so I thought about you. Being in East Tennessee, I don't have to go far to find plenty of hills!  Take your choice, long, short, steep, gentle, they are all within my neighborhood. I wonder if that is a curse or a blessing. Both, I suppose.

As to heart rate, I'll be 61 next Wednesday.....eeek!  One more year to SS yeah!!!!    I wear a Garmin 405 and my HR is in the 140's for a comfortable pace around 9:45-10:00 min per mile pace.  Speed intervals and hill training will push it to  150-165 and I'm really getting uncomfortable at the upper end. I have to be doing a run/walk interval to slow it down below 140, which is what I strive for on LSD runs. I'm doing mostly a 2:1 or 3:1 run/walk ratio and hitting an 11-12 min pace on those long runs. My HR has hit as high as 188 according to Garmin, but how accurate is that?!? I think you just have to use it as a guide. I do know that my Garmin measures distace longer than my daughter's newer watch by approx .1 per mile.

Stay safe everyone and I wish everyone a happy July 4th!

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Kim, welcome!! I LOVE your parking ramp idea!! It sounds like the perfect solution for a morning workout before a hot and humid day downtown. It's outside but under cover; it's challenging but predictable. And, cement is cool in the mornings. I work downtown and need to get my runs in early if I want to be outside so I've got to try it!

Marie, thanks for your HR details. They're very useful as a benchmark for my age range. Your lifestyle sounds more active than mine and I'm betting you weigh a lot less (am 155) so these might be factors but it makes me wonder why my HR is at 140 when I run a 2:1 ratio with 12 mm: 17 mm speeds. It all seems too slow and I'd love to push harder but worry about injury since I've been told I'm pushing too hard already. Last race the weather was hot so I used a 1:1 ratio and let myself go the speed of the race since I was going to be walking so much. Turns out I spend a lot of time running 9-10 mm when I don't regulate and I'd love to get to the point that I could stop holding myself back. I've been as high as 150 HR with just fast walking so...? Going to cardiologist soon and if he clears me, I'm making a big push.

My metabolism decided to wake up recently and I'm slowing losing weight. Today is my first official day with a healthy BMI. WhooHoo!! Worried that I'll gain. Also, saw a pic from the last race and hated how old and overweight I looked. Am dealing with Mom's terminal state; we don't know how long she'll be conherent, etc. and difficult relationship stress at work so reality makes joy a challenge these days. Ran 3.5 yesterday and if felt like 6. Wondering if I've lost a lot of endurance. Time to start training again for fall HMs and need motivation. Am not organized or excited yet, just worried. I guess that's a beginning.

Happy 4th to all! Enjoy your runs and races!!  

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Happy Independence Day!

My older son and I ran the Firecracker 4 mile today and enjoyed a fun race.  The race is sponsored by a local running group and their events are always top knotch.  The RD sent out a notice yesterday that the race was on, but warning of the impending heat and humidity.  They made provisions for 4 aid stations, numerous ice/water sponging stations and suggested that today was not the day for a PR!  Temps were already 88 degrees at the start of the race as the 1.7 mile walkers and the 4.0 mile runners headed in opposite directions on the course.  Most of the ccours was run through an older residential area with mature trees that offered shaded areas.  The home owners and spectators offered sprinklers, running hoses and cheers as we passed by.  It was fun asking some of the younger kids to squirt us with the hoses, and they gladly obliged!  Everyone was playing it safe with pace and effort due to the conditions, and I noticed only 1 runner being assisted by the EMTs at mile 3.  Ran for a while with a local legend who is 89 years young!  I can only hope to be still running strong like that one day!  The last 3/4 mile was run on a bike path through the park and as we crossed a wooden bridge the path opened onto a field and the finish was within view.  Finished strong, but not with a great time.  Just happy to be out there today celebrating the wonderful country we are blessed to live in!  Great post race food and beverages, including beer at 8:30am (it is Milwaukee!). The park swimming pool opened up for the runners, and after a rinse off, we dove in.  What a treat!  Headed home to light off the Q for chicken, ribs, lots of watermelon and watch the fireworks from the patio! 

Mary Kay~Hope running helps to bring some peace into your life right now.

Marie~Wishing you an early Happy Birthday!  Bet running the TN hills is a challenge, yet beautiful!

Kim~Enjoy your visit w/ family and running at the beach!

Run strong, run safe!

• DeanBard Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 17, 2011

Hi everyone,  50+

I am 62.5 years young and started running 2 yrs ago after 30+ yrs of  not running.  Ran decathalon in college and continued to run until early 30's.  Presently running 3-4 days/wk , intervals, tempo,and long runs totaling 20 mi/wk.  Mastered 20 5K's this past year with a pr of 22:58.  Presently training to break 22:00 5K over the next 4 months..  Running more than 20+ mile/wk usually ends in injury for me.  My training now is at shorter distances/day but at a much faster pace.  I also found that training every other day allows my body to recover faster.

Adidas Micoach Pacer has worked very well for me.  I program my own training and use micoach training schedules also.  Nike + GPS watch helps keep acurate distances and pace, but their internet site is usually down and not very helpful.  My  old stopwatch and marked distances are my faithful stand-by.

Ran across a book last week, "Run Less Run Faster" by Pierce, Murr, and Moss.  This is by far the best information on training I've read in years.  Plan to start their training program next week.  It's similar to how I train but more intense and slightly faster training pace.  This book covers training for 5K to Marathon.

Running has allowed me to get off BP and Cholesterol meds, lose 20lbs, and be in the best shape of my life.  I guess I've reached my most important goal! 

Dean

• Rob Pelletier Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011

Tried again to post here - keep getting "Restricted Content" message.  Have spent about two hours on this - no more time to waste on this...

Have written to Support, and received no reply.

Too bad, I was enjoying participating.

If they reply and I get it soprted out, I'll post again then...

Rob

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Dean:  Hello and a hearty welcome to our 50+ group.  We cover everything from beginning 5K'ers to experienced marathoners and, as you have probably seen from reading a few pages of posts, we're not shy about voicing our opinions and suggestions.  I think we're in every part of the country (NE Illinois for me) and we're all sharing the hot weather.  I am impressed that your running has freed you from some of your meds.  Unfortunately, my cholesterol went up even after I started running, so I'm continuing it.

Kim:  Welcome to you also.  No parking ramps in our town, but we have a variety of hill terrain.

Mary Kay:   Congratulations on reaching a healthy BMI.  I'm sad to hear that your personal life could be better, but we're all here if you need a place to vent.

Marie:  An early Happy Birthday To Youuuuuuuu!!!

Debra:  I'm glad you didn't push hard on your race today.  Yes, it is Milwaukee, so beer at any time of day is expected.  Running with your son has to be a joy.  After the recent deaths in the Chicago and other marathons, race organizers are being exceptionally careful to warn runners of adverse conditions and are adding water stops.  At my HM in Michigan in May where it was close to 80 degrees by the 9:00 start time, most of the course was in the country and the residents turned out in droves with their hoses. 

Still way too hot for me to run outdoors; it was 80 at 7AM here in the Chicago area.  Some runners thrive in this heat, but I'm the opposite.  Give me 50 degrees any day.  So, off to the health club for four miles on the track, preceded and followed by some machine work.  Home now, drinking chocolate milk.

Happy July 4th to all.  Stay hydrated and run safely.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Jun 8, 2011

Thank you Debra and Steve for your kind words. I have no idea how the next few months will be. I just left a perfectly nice party early (after 3hrs) overcome with a need to be alone so I guess I'll find out just by plodding through. Running did help a lot when I was visiting Mom so I'll hold onto that. Unfortunately, it is now 99 w an allergy alert and the gym is closed and I don't drink. Bummer.

Debra, loved your race report! Sounds like so much fun I want to look for a race for next year's 4th.

Rob, I hope you'll try posting from another computer or using iExplorer. Hate to lose your fine wisdom and I suspect it's a browser compatibility issue. Lenzlaw would have had the answer if there was restricted content. Now that I think about it, I've only gotten the message when using my MacBook Air. I haven't had that problem posting when using my work desktop and MS iE as the browser.

Welcome, Dean! You'll find these folks have a wealth of information and inspiration to offer. I'm rather new and still trying to catch up.

Steve, glad to hear you're planning your next run! Was starting to get concerned. It is rediculously hot here, too, but I'm going to push for at least my LSR days outside. I was encouraged at today's party to see the heat bothered me a whole lot less than many others which I credit to adjustment more than anything else.

Stay strong, hydrated and happy out there!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Debra-sounds like a good way to race if it has to be in this heat.  The 5K this morning started at 84 degrees; I had hoped to stay under 30 minutes by using a 3/1 run/walk ratio, but couldn't make it.  Still satisfied, given the heat.  I was hoping for sprinklers and hoses to run through, but none of that, despite running through neighborhoods with folks on the lawn cheering us on.  That would have helped.  Only one water stop too.  There was one runner who needed ambulance assistance, but I think they just gave him fluids and cooled him, didn't hear of him being transported.

Dean- Welcome!  I just checked that book out of our library yesterday to take on vacation. It looked like it would be helpful to me, since I normally only run 3x/week.  Glad you found it helpful!  

Marie-birthday wishes next week!

Mary Kay- sorry it's a struggle right now.  Prayers going your way- persevere! 

Leaving tomorrow for SW Missouri to inter my Mom's ashes and visit my wifes best friend since childhood.  Quick trip, back by Sunday, then 5 days vacation in northern Wisconsin!  The question is, will it be any cooler by then??!!

Run strong and safe; have a blessed 4th!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• Rob Pelletier Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011

Mary - so sorry to hear about your Mom.  I feel your pain.

Tried posting an update on my heart rate training on an iPad, on a PC with IE8 and from another with IE9.

Can't get it posted.  Took out any brand names, proper names, even replaced contractions with real words.  Can't even find a word that could be construed as rude or even mildly negative.

Giving up.

Have written twice to support, found their terms of use document and treid going through it, but it's written by lawyers and I'm just a lowly computer geek - can't slog through it.

I will continue to read and make little comments where possible, but the posting I already created just won't post!  Had some interesting stuff to tell you about my training (ran 26 km or 16 mi since Sat AM)...

Jun 8, 2011

Rob, sounds like you've tried everything I thought of and more. So sorry it's been such a frustrating time for you. A person can only take so much! For example, the damn mice aren't even hiding any more; they're up on the counter top. Last night I heard them push the mouse trap aside. Guess it was in their way. Grrr

Thanks for your prayers, Dan. One day at a time. Unfortunately my training is suffering and it's eating me up that I'm not on target so soon in the season. Thought I was doing speed work today, at least that was my reason for letting myself run only 2.5 m on the TM. Turns out my overall pace was,.. good grief, I hear a faint bark. Oh, thank God, it's a dog and not those damn mice. Well, anyway, my pace was slower than Sat.'s race. Of course I didn't get that info until I was off the TM and cooled down. It's balmy outside right now and I'd love to run but it's dark. I really should wait until Sat. morning but it's going to be hard. Good news, though. We had some wicked rain and it seems to be cooling a little.

Run strong and have fun, all!

Mary Kay

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Mary Kay~Wish I could fly to Ohio to go for a run with you!  Hang in there - you are going through a lot of stuff right now.  When I read your post I see a stong, determined athlete with an awesome sense of humor.   Please know you're in my prayers.  Brazen rodents!  They are never happy with a little corner of your abode, they move right in.  Never understood why Beatirx Potter (& other children's authors) found them so charming! 

Dan~What a blessing for your wife to share such a long history with her friend.  My husband met his best buddy at Little League 54 years ago.  Those frienships ar pricless!   Thinking of you while you make the emotional journey to MO.

Rob~Is Active support on an extended holiday???  Keep trying...I've been lucky on my desktop w/ Mozilla Firefox.

Steve~ Happy you are to get in safe workouts at the gym.  Looks like more seasonable weather heading our way for the weekend.

Dean~Welcome!  Sounds like you have a lot of wisdom to share.  Post often, and let us know how training is going for you.

The furnace-like temps continue in the upper midwest, and I'm heading to the track at the indoor ice rink for a 4 miler this afternoon.  The track is hosting the Heatbreaker HM & Relay at the end of the month.  So happy to have a "cool" place to run! 

Run strong, friends! 

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

What a wonderful day to run! It was a cool 65 deg this morning after a really severe storm (lots of wind damage in neighborhood and thoughout the area) w/ some good rain blew through last evening. My daughter's house had a bit of damage, but fortunately we dodged any major stuff. I started and stayed slow and steady, having to watch the debris on the road and had the best 4 miler I've had in a long, long time.  These are the runs where you just want to keep running and running. But, I knew I would run tomorrow w/ daughter so didn't want to push matters. Ankle is still tender, but with the drugstore brace, it is feeling fine.

Rob, so sorry to hear you are having so much trbl posting. Hopefully Active Support will get things cleared up for you. They had a LOT of trbl a while back and many of us got frustrated and left the site. Several haven't returned. I thought Active had it cleared up, but apparently  not for you. I appreciate your input and hope you will hang around.

Dean: Welcome!!! Congrats on the wt loss and the success in rejoining the running ranks. Sounds like you have a lot to share w/ our group.

MaryKay, I feel your pain. I too am dealing w/ aging/ailing parents. Each day brings it's challenges. A few days ago, my Mother (who has dementia) put some "eye cream" in Daddy's eye...only it wasnt' optical stuff.....it was Super Glue!!!! I just about freaked out. Fortunately, he realized something wasn't right and started immediately washing it w/ cold water. Major disaster averted.

Dan, hope you and your wife have a safe and enjoyable trip. It's good to connect w/ "old" friends, but I know it will be an emotional time for you.

Steve, stay cool my friend! Yes, 80 deg at 7 am is absurd running weather! I deal w/ it, but just s-l-o-w my pace down.  I do hit the indoor track when it is cold and rainy!  I can take the heat, somewhat, the cold ok, the wind, even the rain, but when it is cold and rainy, I draw the line and head inside!

Debra, congrats on your race and doing it w/ your son. Sounds like you had a fun time and played it smart by not pushing the pace.

OK, impt stuff:  NRR....we had a terrible tradgedy just up the lake from me over the holiday. 2 young boys were electrocuted and died while playing in the water in a marina off their houseboat.  http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/jul/05/boy-11-extremely-critical-after-apparent-lake/     Please, if you or anyone you know is enjoying the lake this summer, pass this information on. We often hear of drowninngs, but there are other dangers associated w/ the water too. 

Stay safe, stay cool and happy running!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• DiDi55 Pro 120 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010

Hi Everyone

I have been slacking on posting however; have kept up with what everyone has shared. My brother & I did not participate in the 4th of July Race and I truly missed it!  Did manage to get out at 7:30 a.m. to get in 3 miles. Glad I did so early morning; with the heat I would not have done it later in the day.  Debra: How great to be able to jump in the pool! Now that the way to end the race!  Dan: Hope you & your family are enjoying your vacation in Wisconsin; such a pretty area!  Dean: Congrats with the weight loss and being able to kick the meds; that is terrific! Dean: Keep posting; we all know it can be challenging at times; however; we are getting some of your posts! Love having newbies join us!  MaryKay: Yikes! Mice! Sure not fun to have them as roomates! Hope by this time they have departed!  Marie: So glad your dad acted fast on flushing his eye. I work at an eye care facility and you would not believe some of the stories I have heard...& these are stories from so-called healthy people w/ out dementia!!  I'll say an extra prayer for you I know how challenging caring for a parent with dementia.

Happy Safe Running all!

Started Running August 2008

5 mile race/May 2010 59:00

5 mile race/July 2010 62:00

Half Marathon/September 2010 2:45

5 mile race/May 2011 63:00

Half Marathon 09/24/2011 2:53

5k 03/31/2012 43:00

5k 06/09/2012 41:39.5

If your tired of starting over; stop giving up!

• KimKnapp0 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 8, 2011

Hello Everyone! It's Friday      Dear Friday, you should know that Tuesday tried to be you this week and it was not cool!

Well, training weekend here... tonight 6 mile run with 2 at MP, Tomorrow easy 3 mile run and Sunday 13 miles long, slow... 12 weeks out from the Denver marathon... have the finish line in my sight! (off Monday's, 7 mile Hills Tuesday, Off Wednesday - the rest of my schedule)

MaryKay - Have you tried the garage run yet? Seek JOY in every day - it's there, often, you just have to look for it.

Debra - What an AWESOME July 4th experience! Jealous - runnning in an Ice Rink...it's HOT here in Houston!

Dean - Welcome... I also use Nike+ ... love it... yes the website has issues, but hopefully when they get the new site completed, it will be smooth operation. I also was on Cholesterol meds, been off for a year now! Celebration! Excellent work with your weight loss and reaching your goals!

Rob - I had the same thing happen to me on another sight - frustrating! Hope things get ironed out for you... looking forward to reading about your training.

Steve - I will be in Chicago the end of July - can't wait to run along the lake! Praying for cool weather! Pipe dream I know

Dan - Safe Travels on your journey...

Marie - I grew up on the water and around marinas. My Daddy taught us to never go in the water around marinas...full of elec current...very dangerous... I did hear about this tragic accident on the news.... so sad! WOW - nice cool runs, your ankle is better and you get to run with your daughter... WONDERFUL! Great that you can have time together running!

Ya'll have a great weekend... stay COOL, run smart!

Kim

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...