Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

952637 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 284 285 286 287 288 ... 315 Previous Next
  • az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Rob: I caught that AFTER I signed off; it was a typo :() sorry. Only in my dreams LOL!

I hope to finish under 1:55:00 in the HM I finally registered for closer to home instead of near Minneapolis.

Hubby happy about not driving ALL the way there :)) But its a week earlier yikes!! Haha!!

Changing  my mentality & set a goal to finish under 2hrs! Excited about it.

Trail runner

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Webpro: how observant:() haha!! I noticed the same routine......... guess harley rides dont qualify as crosstraining LOL!

Trail runner

• Rob Pelletier Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,277. Jul 29, 2012 11:29 AM (in response to az2mn)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

Good luck on getting under 2:00 - that's my goal for this year as well.

Ran to the beach today - chose a distance just under 10 mi.  Running by heart rate, so estimated an average pace of 7:30 / km.   (12:04 min / mi)

Stuck to that 80-85% of MHR for the first 6 miles or so.  By that time. I had climbed the last hill and felt so good that I decided to ignore the HR for the rest of the run.  Felt like a million bucks ($US).

Ended up with an average pace of 7:20 min / km (11:48 min / mi). 

Sure, I gotta keep my heart rate in the aerobic zone, but it felt great to let fly for a bit today.  Running across the finish feeling so strong is one of the real high points in a Runner's experience,  don't you think?

Our summertime beach runs are a great experience.  We have folks starting anywhere from 6 miles from the beach to 26.2 mi.  Participants are encouraged to time their finish at the same time.  It's great standing at the end, cheering on your friends.  You get to handicap yourself (by the way you choose your start time), so there's no telling who "wins".  Everyone there is a runner who succeeds.  We cheer one another on, take off our shoes and stand in Lake Erie for a while, then go to a local open air restaurant for a great meal and a beer or two.

Not sure, but I estimate there were about 150 or so today.  It's organized by one of the local running shops, water stations with water, eLoad, candy, pretzels, etc. every 3 miles or so.

Had a great morning.  I should be outside in the garden right now, but sitting in front of the TV watching the ball game is alright too!

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

Az1414 my longest scheduled run prior to taper is 27 miles . I have two prior 21 miles Aug 12th, 24 miles Aug 16th. Wow this training is going way to fast. I'm not ready yet!!!!

Rob. I also am hoping to break thru that 2 hour barrier in December. I almost had in in Disney thru mile 10 and blew it.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Rob-That sounds like a great run-it fit's lots of levels of runner skill and a great way to finish!

Tony- you really did the job on the heat/humidity.  Nice job!

I did my long run yesterday at the lake again, taking advantage of more shade than I ever have near home.  Total 16.1 in 3:30, using 1:1 walk/run ratio the entire way except the long hill at the end of the run, when I switched to 30/30.   Tried Gu gel and chomp blocks which worked well.  10 minutes in the lake to cool off, then a Big Louie before heading home and 20 minutes in a cold water bath.  Legs feel pretty good today.

Have a great week, run strong and safe!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Rob - thanks for the conversion. No need to continue for my sake. I've got the picture ($1M) :D

All this training is going to pay off big in Columbus! I can't wait. Heard it's quite a party. I'd love to meet for a beer or drink! Still don't have a room reservation.:-/ I am particularly worried about finding enough time to train. Your training has progressed really far for a race in Oct. soon it will all be gravy. You will burn this one up if you keep going at this rate.

Tony - Amazing distances and commitment! You really want this! You are doing great and your race is in October. You'll be fine.

Dan- very impressed with the big miles from you! are you training for a long race?

Well did 3+ today in 40-45 min. Three gps program and all different. They all agree my run portions were much faster and I'm pleased about that. I pooped out and walked after 17 min but it's ok. I've lost a bit of weight and haven't been able to eat. Eating has become so painful I've resorted to Hammer gel and Recoverite as sustenance. Wondering if this is normal. Anyway, started with a gel and body told me it was gone after 40 min. Good to know.

Good runs to you all!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• JoniSchatte Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 2, 2012

I'm going to have to do some catching up here! Chris and I went camping at Beaver's Bend State Park, Broken Bow, OK. It's a beqautiful place and if you live near I would suggest it! Looks like Colorado without the altitude!

Lots of steep hills for running and cycling! I got the bike up to 32.2 mph! Woooo hooo! Did two days of 7 mile runs 1:10 and 1:07. The humidity was killer in this heat! I did a 1 hour swim in the lake and have deduced that my hyperventilation is not from fear of open water. Looks like it's race nerves. I have a sprint tri on Saturday. Than a 100K bike race on the 18th and the Hotter Than Hell 100 on the 25th (I'm only doing 50 miles)

Mary Kay~ So very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard this is. My Mom is very proud of my running and comes to some of my races. She's 74 and has even jogged a bit on her walks lately. I'm proud of her too.

I'll have to go back and do a lot of reading to catch up here!

I hope everyone is being careful in this heat.

You all inspire me sooo much!!!!

• Dance Fever Mrs Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 14, 2011

Hi Mary? Mary Kay?

So sorry to hear of your Mom's passing.

Just kinda reading the posts and trying to get to know you all.

Years back I had anemia, not the same, but really threw me for a loop. After it was diagnosed

I was able to recover very quickly and got back to untired running.

Tomorrow I will hit the running path for a 4.5 mile run, then take my bird for a

1.5 mile walk in our neighborhood.

Trying to keep up to the 10,000 steps a day program and I can do that

with ease on my running days. I just use a step pedometer for that count.

Met up with a gal on the trail Fri. She was visiting from Chicago and intended to do

the Chi Marathon, her 8th. First time I have run with another person in years.

She was 11 years my junior, but I was able to keep her pace-which surprised me

to no end. We did 4.2 miles together, then she continued on to complete her 13 mile training day.

Something different for me.

Stay healthy and keep on running/Janet-Henderson, Nv.

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Good day Mighty Masters! Special shout out to Dance Fever and Flakijak girl.....I just misspelled that I know....so sorry. Welcome to our group!

I'm sitting here watching a bit of the olynpics & it has women's kijak....still not spelling right.

Loving the olympics! After lunch break, will have to get back to work!

Enjoyed reading everyone's reports on their long runs.

My entire lower body is sore from the 9 mi trail run! It is a good sore. I walked 3 mi yesterday, thinking that would work it out. Ha! So today was a nice, slow, continuous recovery run of 4 miles. Interesting to note that my midweek runs, regardless of whether it is a 3:1, 2:1 run:walk or slow continuous runs, turn out to be about the same overall pace.

111:28.3 1.00 11:28
    210:58.8 1.00 10:59
    310:34.7 1.00 10:35
    410:02.3 1.00 10:02
    51:58.2 0.21 9:30

This is today's breakdown of pace per mile.Mile, Time, distance, Avg Pace....overall avg pace 10:42.  Strange that my perceived rate of exertion and pace was even through out. Other than the old body getting warmed up, how does one justify or explain this speed up? 

Happy Running everyone!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• suzeecat Amateur 20 posts since
    Feb 28, 2012

It's been WAY too long since I've posted.  Although I have been keeping up with reading, by the time I'm caught up, I'm out of time to respond.  But, I get so much inspiration and information from everyone that it's not fair to contribute, so I'll try to consolidate a quick catch-up.  Before that, condolences on those who have lost loved ones or dealing with family members' illnesses or illnesses/injuries of your own. 

I have completed 8 weeks of the "official" marathon training, and have 10 more to go until Chicago on 10/7.  So far (knock wood) injury free.  As others have mentioned, it's quite a challenge to train 6 days/wk and keep a full time job and a household running.  The training is definitely my main focus for now; at least I know it's temporary and I will have more free time come mid-October.  What motivates me?  It's the fact that I put my (registration and travel) money on the line and committed to a specific race.  There's no way I want to show up and not finish because I "cheated" on myself!  Although I have slacked off from time to time on the cross training and/or strength & core training, I have run every single mile that I was scheduled to so far.  I'm not sure how many miles it is total, but our team leader said it was time for a new pair of shoes, so I got them today, YAY! 

I've been running in hot, humid MI either early mornings (weekends) or later (8-ish) on weeknights after work.  When it's been scary-hot, I've sucked it up and stayed inside on my dreadmill.  I've noticed that my conditioning for running in the heat has definitely improved,  This past Sat. I ran a half-marathon, just by myself in my neighborhood.  The training schedule said to do 13 miles and our team leader suggested we just add the .1 and make it a half-marathon.  At the end it was hard to imagine that being the half-way point for a full marathon.  But, I also remembered starting out my training running 3 miles and being scared to think about 6 miles.  Although I don't keep track of my pace or time precisely, I figured it took roughly 2:35.  That may be on the slow side, but when done I feel good (some stomach upset but no muscle soreness), and the next day I'm good to go again.  I've been doing run/walk at the ratio of 2 min. run and 1 min walk.  I started off great with my fund-raising, collecting just over half of my goal right away.  Then, I slacked off, and now I realize that I have just a little over 2 months to get the remainder - time to step it up!

Does anybody use/recommend a self-massage device called The Stick, aka Tiger's Tail?  A fellow runner highly recommended it and I picked one up today with my new shoes, since the store was generously offering a 20% discount for everything for my team's members.  I have/LOVE a foam roller, but I'm thinking The Stick might work for some areas that are hard to get to on the floor with the foam roller. 

Sue P. (age 57)

Started running January, 2012

First Marathon, Chicago 10/7/12 - 5:53:31

• urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010

@Sue, great to hear from you again! It looks like your training is going well. Don't think of those additional 13 .1 miles you will need to go. Just think about the mile or two you gradually add to your long runs. Eat the elephant one bite at a time.....

I've been wiped out since my 20 mile run a few weeks ago. I realized that three days after the run I traveled 6,000 miles, seven time zones, and entered a climate twenty degrees warmer, but I've just been sore and felt run down. My longest run in the last two weeks was six miles on Saturday. I felt fine during the run but later in the day and the following day there were the little aches and pains in the hips and legs. I'm just going to take it easy during my midweek runs and get my body and MIND ready for 23 miles on Satyrday. I'll have to get an early start, put my head down, and just get it done. If the 23 miles wipe me out again, I'm going to have to reassess my training plan. There's no sense getting injured at this point and that's what happens when the body runs tired. Part of my problem may stem from he fact that I did no strength work while away for three weeks. Getting back into the gym has been tough!

Time to get back to swimming finals! Go USA!

Jun 8, 2011

Marie, it looks to me like you were in a groove and just feeling good? It looks like a really strong run!

Joni, sounds like you are enjoying yourself, also.

Good job, Janet!  Your bird walks with you? On your shoulder?

Sue, you are goin to kill that marathon! You've run every mile do far. Trust in your training if you can't trust yourself.

Urun, so sad to hear you are not feeling 100%! You've been moving forward so consistently. Isn't that the way it seems to go, though?  Good luck with your long run!! I'm hoping you just have prolonged jet lag.

Coaching a group for a local run shop beginners program so did 2 mi. In 30 min and that included 10 min walking warmup/cool down. Run pace 12:34. Good for newbies and for me. Doing this 2x wk with HM training. At least that's the plan. Tomorrow speed work with the pros. They'll keep me humble. worried because I can't eat anything but fruit and potatoes.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• TXDiversMom Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 29, 2012

Hi everyone!  I've been reading for 2-3 weeks and really appreciate the inspiration and motivation!  I turned 50 last year and wanted to get healthy and lose weight.  I started walking the dog around the block last August in the Houston 100+ temps and before I knew it, I was walking 30-45 min.  Then I thought, OK, I'll run to the stop sign, etc. until 3 months later, I was walking about 3 miles in 50 min (yep...slow) and jogging a little.  In June, my 20 year old daughter and her friends talked me into doing a half marathon with them (well some are doing the marathon) in College Station.  7 weeks ago, a co worker told me about c25k and it's worked amazingly.  I can't believe that I can actually jog 28 minutes.  In addition to my c25k, I have been walking and running for 30 more minutes to try to burn more calories and get my mileage up a bit.  I did 6.6 miles on Sat., running about 2/3 of it.  Of course, I am VERY slow.  My pace is only about 14:45 mm...but I"m short.  LOL!! 

I love reading about what everyone's doing and can't believe that I'm a runner now.  I played softball in HS, but I was never a runner.  I was terrified about running 6.6 mi on Sat., but feel very empowered that I actually did it.  I'm trying to stick with a 4 mi. run on Mon., a 5 mi. on Wed., and trying to stick with 6-7 on Sat. till I get comfortable with this...or till it gets cooler.  LOL!!!  It's really hot and I'm not a morning person.  I hate the treadmill and it seems like I just can't go very far on it without giving out and usually end up running in a park (there is some shade) at 5:30 in the evening.  Also, I've lost 33 lbs since last Aug. and have about 20 left to go.  I may not post a lot, but really love reading here.

Melissa

Jun 8, 2011

Welcome Melissa and thanks for sharing your journey! You've progressed well in a short time. Good job! When is your HM? Keep us posted.

94 degrees, 3.5 mi. in 42 min. and it didn't feel all that hard. I'm coming baack!

Run strong and fierce!

Mary Kay

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

suzeecat  i like you am also training for Chicago. I have been using the Marathon stick for about a year. I think I paid around 30.00 for it at an expo. On Sunday i did a 19 mile training run. i used the stick over my recovery socks . I believe it really helps speed recovery by increasing blood flow. After some runs not sure what I would do without it. I would suggest you give it a try. I think you had a very good run on Saturday. Remember your long runs are suppose to be slower than you Marathon pace. Livining and training in FL. I purposely run mine 60 - 90 seconds slower than my expected MP. Welcome to a great thread. Keep posting about your progress. See you in Chicago!!!!!!

Melissa WELCOME. great post. Urun2me said it perfectly a few post ahead of yours. You eat the elephant one bite at a time. Don't worry about your time. As your endurance builds your speed increases on it's own. It's time on your feet that matters now. long slow runs build endurance and melt fat away. Enjoy all those little wins you have on your runs. You'll also have bad runs. But that what makes the good ones great. When i started running 2 years ago i also ran (walked) 14mm. But after losing 40+pounds and reaching my goal weight strange things started to happen. I'm not short I'm 6ft LOL Your well on your way.

mkay "Your Back!!!!!!!

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

Actions