Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

933941 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 287 288 289 290 291 ... 315 Previous Next
  • az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Great running everyone!!  Overcoming challenges makes our training runs hard earned and sweet when we finish!!  YAY!!

Well, my training has come to a screeching halt.  Caught a horrendous chest/head cold quite suddenly. 

On Sunday evening, I ran 11.5 miles just under 2 hours, a few walk breaks due to dogs who met me on the county dirt roads I found to be less busy.

My run was after a good downpour which dropped the temps but the clamminess left a cold wetness against my skin.  Came home to find some reddish spots on my upper chest, following the lines of my sportsbra.  Felt okay the next day, a little sluggish but ran errands all day.  Decided against running till the next day.  Woke up at about 3 am with a sore throat, ear ache, and feverish.  The only thing running is my nose, haha!!  Feel awful, coughing and muscles ache.  Staying hydrated but depressed now after seeing doctor and the advice:  stop running, no racing, get some race!!  Darn it!!

So my brain says to follow the doc's advice although my pride and yeah, okay......... stubbborness ....... want to challenge the HM ............ but hubby is sticking with the doc!! 

I'm totally perplexed ............ health just has been dismal it seems since moving to MN!!  I hope it improves when I get back to northern AZ in a couple of weeks. 

So guess I need to vent too ............... maybe I should not have ran after the rainstorm. 

Oh well, I will continue when I get over this and try for another HM in Sept. 'somewhere' ............ and Oct. in Albq, NM.

You all take care and stay safe. Keep it up everyone, love reading your posts!!

Can't believe the signs of fall is already here!!

Trail runner

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,321. Aug 18, 2012 11:55 AM (in response to az2mn)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

Az, I am going to say to you what everyone has been saying to me (guess I wasn't totally ignoring them). You have been through enormous stressors in the last six weeks with packing, moving, returning to AZ, returning to MN and training for a HM. Any one of these events could cause a body to rebel and you have taken on a Dagwood sandwich of them. I am so sorry you're not feeling well and I hope you feel better instantly!! But, if it turns out that you don't, I hope you get a good plan for your return to health and rest and recover.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    4,322. Aug 18, 2012 11:59 AM (in response to mkayc)

Hope all of my mighty masters friends have had a good week of running. It has been for me.  Nothing spectacular, just a bit cooler temps and most enjoyable. I'll take it. 75 beat 85 anyday!

According to schedule, today was a "short" long run, only 4 miles after a long of 11 last week. I have questions about that, but I'm following the plan as Galloway outlines......well mostly. I did add an extra day to make it 4 runs this week. I really feel best when I run 4 days vs 3.  So I plan to continue the 4th day.

I hope anyone running races this weekend had a good one and those recovering from illness and injury are doing better.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• Rob Pelletier Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011

Hello all - it's been a while...

For some strange reason, I haven't been getting updates for this forum anymore.  Active.com doesn't seem to like me:  I wrote twice a while agao about so-called "restricted content" amd never got a reply.  Now, I have been getting cut off from updates.  Really, I'm not such a bad guy!

Still working at getting ready for the Columbus HM in October.

Ran a 5 km fund-raiser race on Friday night.  "Reach the Beach" in Port Stanly Ontario held their 6th annual this week.  Funds raised went to a local Youth Opportunites group. 

This is my favorite race event, as it was the first race I ran, three years ago.  I try to run it every year, but missed two years ago when I worked on the organizing committee instead.

This race starts and finishes at a popular beachside restaurant/bar, so we were running for beer, always a strong motivator for our group.  One notable featrure is a long steep hill at about 1.75 km.  I have never managed to run the whole hill, but ran out of steam just 10 steps from the top this year.  Still managed to catch up to my friend after I reached the top.

We love to tease folks signing up for this run, telling them the hill is a killer.  I described it this way to a race newbie this year:

" Wish they at least would turn on the alpine chair lift.
    Oh well, at least there are always a bunch of emergency staff there, taking all the casualties away on stretchers...
    I hope I'm close by when Robin gets her first glance of the hill: the top shrouded in mist, probably snow-capped this time of year... "

My PR for a 5 km race is 26:30, but I limped for a week after.  However, I had never managed to finish under 30:00 for this particular race - that hill really is a killer!

Friday night however, I was determined to make that mark.  I had been working hard recently and was eager to learn if all that heart-rate training in the aerobic zone (between 75-85% of my calculated maximum HR) was helping me get stronger.

I was happy to see how quickly I recovered from the exhaustion I experienced near the top of the hill:   I caught my breath quickly and sprinted to catch my friend.  Managed to keep a steady pace for the remainder of the race (running down that hill again may have helped a bit).

Official time at the finish was 28:09 - completely crushed it!  

Average pace:   5:38 min / km (9:04 min / mi)

As someone else on this forum said, training SLOW when doing your longer runs doesn't seem to slow you down on race day.  My research indicates that it helps improve endurance/stamina - feeling optimistic that it might be so.

Went out the next morning and ran 15km (about 9.3 mi), in the aerobic HR zone.  I have noticed that my average pace while training that way is getting faster.  Started in June at about 7:30 min/km (12:04 min/mi) - yesterday's run was 6:52 min/km (11:05 min/mi).

Here's hoping I start getting updates to the thread again after posting this...

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Rob- glad to hear the aerobic training has been paying off for you.  I just started doing that within the last 2-3 weeks, and trying to read more about it on a different thread.  I'm trying to use the "Maffetone formula" to calculate the HR range I should be running in.  To keep my heart rate there I end up walking about as much as I run, occasionally more.  It's too early to tell if it is going to make a significant difference for me, but it sure helps me complete the long runs.

This was a lighter week, only 14 miles total.  I had planned on it being lighter, but thunderstorms cut into how much I could run.  And the slow pace just doesn't allow for as many miles before I have to be back home and getting ready for work.  Maybe getting up a little earlier will help.

Several weeks ago I had mentioned possibly doing a FM to honor my brother; it's scheduled for his birthday, 10/21.  He is now in hospice and won't make it till that date.  I'm tentatively planning on using a HM on 9/15 as another training run, but getting used to the race atmosphere, pushing a little at the end.  If I'm doing OK with the low heart rate training I'll use just a slighty faster pace for the FM in October.  We will see.  No money paid yet, so I can still change my mind.

Run strong and safe this week!

(If Active is shutting this down in October, is there another site we can go to so we can continue to encourage and learn from one another?)

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

I don't think Active is shutting down the forums, but they are doing away w/ the old training logs. It appears they are going to one that requires purchased training programs. Apparently they have also done away w/ the reminders of new messages. Bummer.

AZ, so sorry to hear about your severe cold. Hope it is better soon. Like Mary Kay said, you have been under a lot of stress, which weakens one's immune system

Rob....aren't you the mischieveous one when it comes to building up the visual of that mountain!  Congrats on killing it yourself! Awesome.

Dan, I'm so sorry about your brother. Running a marathon is a wonderful way to honor his life and memory.

Today was a rest day for me. Hopefully it will be nice running weather tomorrow morning

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

Jun 8, 2011

Marie, cooler weather here, too. Yess! I wanted to email Active support to get the scoop but can't find the address antmore. Prolly staring right at it.

Rob, we are all having the problem.

Dan, sorry to hear of your brother's decline. I hope you get to spend some quality time with him.

Finished a 10k at dawn this morning w a PR for 5k (39 min) and 10k(1:25). The times were ok but could have been better. I was more impressed that I finished and had such good splits for m. 1-3 (<13). Yesterday hr was over 144 after 15 min and up to 158 in 20. I quit in a fit of tears at 33 min. Chalked it up to a grief ambush. Today's hr never got over 145 and hovered at 135. ??? Being human is so confusing. Got 1st in AG (of 1F) but one of the 60+ M placed 5th overall w 6:45 pace so there's something to aim at.

Run strong and fierce, all!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

Jun 8, 2011

kicks 4 8-19-12.jpg

Why i need to prepare the night before.

Mary Kay

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Oops, sorry I misunderstood Marie!  Glad that we'll still be able to learn and support each other.  I did find a site, RunningAHEAD, that appears to have a training log area, but I haven't looked into all the details to see if it's pay as you go or free.  It has some interesting threads as well.

Mary Kay-wow, finishing a 10K at dawn!  no wonder you got the shoes a little mixed up!  At least it was R&L!  love the pic

Enjoy the week, enjoy the runs!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Dan, I hope you can spend as much time as possible with your brother in the time that he has left.  You have my sincerest sympathies.

Mary Kay, at least you didn't wear two left-foot shoes.  Congratulations on your two PRs.

Rob, your training plan is paying real dividends.  Stay with it.

The last two weeks of running were good for me.  Twenty six miles two weeks ago and 17 last week.  We have finally had some cooler mornings, about 60 degrees, so I did eight yesterday and 4.6 this morning at 10:00 pace.  Tomorrow will be either a rest day or a light cross-training day at the gym.

Grandchild alert:  Our daughter-in-law is going into the hospital next Monday, August 27th, for a scheduled c-section to deliver their baby.  She will be in the hospital until Thursday.  I don't know when we will first see the baby; it will depend on when they are comfortable having visitors.  We have Skype, so that will suffice for the first few weeks.  I think our first visit will be only a short day trip, spending no more than two or three hours with them.  Randy is taking all of next week off and will do half days at work the following week.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009

Steve! Congratulations on your impending new Grand child! Nothing like them! They are wonderful. My son was born on the 29th of August, but that was a long time ago! LOL

Hello everyone!!! So sorry that I have been MIA for so long. No excuse for some of it except that I have just been very busy, but my other excuse is that I also no longer get notifications from this site and thought that everyone was being terribly quite! Also, for some reason this stupid site would not let me log in for several weeks. I had to go in and create a new account and this site is terribly slow. I have tried to come in a couple of times and my computer would just sit and work and never go into the site.

Shout out to Mkay~congrats on your PR's! So glad that you are on the mend and getting back to your running! Marie~ you always amaze me with your runs and I am also speechless that you are doing a HM followed the next day by a FM! You GO GIRL!!! Rob, Dan, AzAz, Tony and everyone else..great runs and for those of you injured, I hope you get well soon.

As for me, I am still battling some left over problems from my FM in March. After recovering from my ITBS and my Morton's Neuroma I finally got back to normal running schedule and times for me somewhere around the middle of May. During a training run where I went out to fast, the muscles in my Rt leg from calf to hip tightened up and became imbearable to run. My Rt quad, hamstring and calf remain weak and will tighten up after only a short distance. The only way that I can continue on to run is to stop and stretch the calf, hip and quad muscles. After this I am good to go for another couple of miles before I have to do the same thing again. Sigh....but, I was able to get in my 10 mile run this weekend with no tightening of the muscles and only slight tigthening on this mornings run. As long as I go at a pace of 11 mpm or slower I do pretty well, but if I get to a 10:00 mpm or so the tightening will begin so alot of if is driven by the pace that I run. I have tried claf sleeves, CEP compression socks, massage, ice, pretty much everything you can think of and none of it has helped. I think the key is going to be to run slower.

Anywhoo...I am just happy to be able to be out running be it slow or fast!

Keep up the good work everyone!!! You are all winners in my book!

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

kathy

Welcome back from the land of the lost!,!!! glad to see your overcoming your injury. just wanted to let you know that both Dan and I both have been running slower. working more with Heart rate rather than speed. our Florida heat and Humidiy have been brutal this summer. I went from training runs between 10:00 - 10:30 to 11:00 - 12:30. I feel so much better with NO DOWN Time. I have 24 miles on the books for Saturday. two weeks after that one more long run then it's time to back off prior to tapering. can you believe how fast that training cycle went by? I'm also think about running both Gulf Coast and Nashville in 2013. Nashville beat me up as it was my first Half Marthon 2 years ago. this time if I go I intend to much quicker. slow and easy runs till your 100%

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

Jul 31, 2011

Dan,

Yes, I used the Maffetone site for a lot of the HR zone info.  It was a good read, but I felt that some if the advice there was for rather advanced runners.  Remember the title of his main page "The 2 hour marathon".  Not in my league!

I calculated my MHR usng the Karvonen formula.  As non-scientific as it is, I tried several different sites, choosing the one that set my MHR a bit higher.  I found a difference of 15 between the various methods of calculating my MHR, so chose the result I "liked" best.  Like you, I found 85% of MHR was little more than a brisk walk, until I found a calculation that boosted the rate a bit.

I am still running at or below the 85% HR mark.  As I mentioned, my average pace at that rate is increasing weekly, and my 5km race pace, even with a monster hill, is much improved.

In my totally non-expert, highly-unscientific opinion, you're on the right track.  This kind of aerobic training is apparently the best way to strengthen your heart, increase your endurance, and burn fat.

I can't imagine what you're going through, being faced with possibly losing your brother.  Kudos to you for not letting yourself go to hell while this is going on - a brother couldn't ask for a better tribute than a loved one showing he still appreciates life!  You have reminded me of how precious life is, and that I shouldn't take even a single day for granted.  Thanks for that, Dan.

My best to you and your family...

Jul 31, 2011

Mary,

Don't bother writing to Active.com support - I wrote to them twice 6 weeks ago about another issue and they never responded.  I have decided to just check the site daily for updates to our thread.

I guess we can't complain too much:  it's not like we pay for this, right?  It is sloppy web site maintenance, but I guess I've come to expect it here.

Congrats on your PRs on Sunday morning!  Sounds like you will be ready for Columbus.  Have you registered yet?  I hear that the HM tends to fill up early. 

Hope we get to meet when we're there - it would be great to put a face to the name and compare notes. 

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,334. Aug 21, 2012 12:39 PM (in response to mkayc)

mkayc:  Thanks for your thoughtful reply; yes, need some down time to heal; always battling with patience which tends to be my nemesis.  But on the road to recovery this week and hope to run this weekend and start all over again.  Sometimes the body just gives in to other elements I can't control.  My constant move/travel between different climate to another certainly slows me down but I'm glad I have a body in motion at 52!!  Can't wait to tackle the mountain trails of northern AZ again .......... and at 7000+ elevation, it's a 'high' I'm addicted to!

The 'cooler' temps of Phoenix makes it tolerable for me to enter some trail races which are added bonus to visiting our 18 month old Princess, I sorely miss her!  She is growing up so fast.

You all are amazing in your trainings and races, keep it up!!

My prayers go to those who are hurting in more ways than one. 

Stay safe and healthy. 

Trail runner

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...