Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

840170 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 288 289 290 291 292 ... 315 Previous Next
  • Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,335. Aug 25, 2012 10:00 AM (in response to az2mn)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

Haven't posted in quite awhile.  My broken foot has finally healed enough that the Dr. has let me start weaning myself of my "boot". I went on the treadmill today for the first extended walking/running since July 9th.  I ended up doing 4 miles. I started out walking fast then moved to a jog and then a slow run. It felt great to be able to run again. I didn't experience any pain so I will see how I feel tomorrow.  My exercise for the last month and a half has been 20 miles per day on the exercise bike. If nothing else I think it kept my stamina level up for a return to running.  Basically I did it because it was the only thing I was allowed to do.

Sounds like many of you are going through recovery processes of one type or another.  It seems that as we get older we constantly have to re-group. There are two approaches to an injury. 1) To give in and let it define you or 2) To look at it as an exciting new challenge to work towards beating.

-Bill

P.S. Mary Kay I loved the two different shoes. That is something I would definately do.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

Well great Masters Today the running Gods looked upon me favorably.

I ran my 24 mile long run as a guest with a Marathon running group. The weather wasn't as hot & humid as it had been. It was also overcast not sunny. I started at 3:30am held an average pace of 12:20mm the entire distance. I tweaked my nutrition plan slightly as suggested by a Hammer nutrition consultant. It made all the differnce in the world. I finished strong. i felt good afterwards. Tired but good. Slept like a baby mid day for about two hours.HOW THOSE GOOD RUNS MAKE YOU QUICKLY FORGET ALL THOSE BAD ONES.... 6 weeks to Chicago!!!!!!

Bill Glad your back. You'll be surprised how much all those hours on the bike helped maintain your stamina.

Marie Sent you a private message concerning goofy.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Bill, glad to hear your foot is healing and that you can get back to doing some run/walking. Do be cautious and don't over do.

Mary Kay, the shoe deal could have been me. LOL I did that one day going to work...one black, one navy shoe.....same style of flat. I didn't notice until almost quiting time.

Kathy, glad to see you back. I figured you were playing a lot of golf this summer. Sorry to hear about all problems, but glad to know that you are back running. Yes, being able to run, is much more important than the speed.

AZ, hope you are feeling better....but 7000 ft, I'd think the air would be so thin it would make it even harder to run. I suppose it is all what one gets used to and that is your old stomping grounds. Hope you enjoy it.

Tony, good luck w/ your long run. Hope you get it in before the storm hits.

Rob, keep us informed re heart rate training.

Steve....we want to see pics of the grandbaby as soon as possible. I know you are excited.

I did my lsd of 13 miles mid week and wore my CR-X compression pants. I loved them. They really supported the abs and back. DD,who has probs w/ her knees, said they really helped support her knees too. So, :I suppose they were worth the$$$.

Tonight I got in a short continous 2.4 miler. It got dark, the neighbors said they had just seen a skunk, and I had it hadn't been long since I had eaten. Not good omens for a run. I thought I was flying.... nope. Surely the Garmin was wrong!!! I swear the run seemed like it was 4 miles.

Question: This week's long run was scheduled for 13 miles, then next week, back to 5, then the next up to 15. Problem is, week after next, I plan to run in a 10K race. What do you all recommend I do about the long run? Skip, work in this coming weekend, or wait until after the race and do midweek?  Here is the plan I'm using http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/training-programs/2013/MARATHON13time.pdf  Suggestions are appreciated.

Happy running everyone!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Bill, glad you're back! Love your attitude!

Tony, awesome run! You have had such great training for this race.

Marie, when I have a race on a Saturday, I run my LSR on Sunday, even after a 10k. Of course, that doesn't make it wise but you are planning a HM and FM back to back.

Rob, I registered for Columbus in May right after finishing Cleveland and yes we will have to meet up! I still haven't reserved a hotel room. If I wait much longer, I may have to stay in Cincy or sleep in my car at a rest stop. Eh, I don't sleep much before racing anyway.

Kathy, glad to hear from you!! I too thought you might be busy golfing and being a Grandma. Sorry to hear you're dealing with aches and pains!

Saturday was the first aniversary of my first 5k and I stumbled through it. Me and steep hills, not a good mix. Saw the Reds lose in a late game Fri. night and dealt with a fair amount of drama last week so maybe I didn't prepare so well, either. This week I need to get serious about training and hopefully won't hurt myself in the process.

Run strong and fearless, all!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

hey folks,

Bill, good to be back running isn't it!  Just be careful.

Tony, congrats on finishing your LSR.  Not nearly ready to run those distances - even in practice...

Marie, I've been substracting the race from the total for that day and then doing secondary runs to meet the total.  I figure that with the extra effort of an actual race it's most important to meet the mileage goal for the day. 

Mary Kay, congrats on your 5K anniversary.  You're still running and that's important.

2 weeks ago ran the Muddy Buddy Boulder.  My son ran with hosts' son and I ran with a friend from Calif.  Race was fun, my buddy isn't really in shape and we did well on the obstacles, but he wasn't really up for the 4.5 miles of running.  We were the 2nd oldest team and just missed finishing in the top 1/3.  My son's team finished 8th out of 410 teams.

Today ran a 5K.  Conditions were good, temp was just under 60F with a good breeze coming off the bay.  This was billed as a timing chip race, but there was no sensor at the start.  Change my strategy based on this and started closer to the front.  We started off a bit late heading into a headwind.  The course was dirt trail with lots of rocks most of the time not too bad, but occasionally bad.  About 1/3-1/2 mile in we made a right turn and got a bit of a tailwind.  Was running with a guy who was working hard to stay infront of me, but he seemed to moving a good clip so I just sort of stayed on his tail.  About 1 mile in made a left turn and headed back into a headwind.  A 12 year old passed us about this point, but then slowed a bit so we were able to keep him close.  Staid that way for a about a mile.  Around the 2 mile mark notice a younger gentleman running with us (could have been there the whole time) he seemed to want to go faster so I told him to go on by.  We made a couple of turns and were headed back the way we started, so had a nice tailwind.  The guy I had been pacing off wasn't able to keep pace at this point so I went by him and started pacing of the guy I just let go by and hoping we would catch the 12 year old.  About this time a couple of younger guys (late 20's early 30's) went by us. 1/2 mile later realize the kid is speeding up and catching him isn't realistic.  About 1/4 mile from finish line pass my pacer, plus 1 of the 20-30 guys, but get past by 40 year old guy.  Pick up the pace as I see the finish line and clock and sprint (fast run) in.  Time was 23:16 a new PR!   Still need to run 6 miles today, so maybe some hill work yet to go.

Run strong everyone!

Ray

Jun 8, 2011

Awesome race and race report, Ray! Congrats on your new PR!!

Finished 7.7 in 2 hr. Was aiming for 8 but I'll take it. It was supposed to be under 85 but was 96 and, of course, muggy. Rain? Yes please!

Underwear. I need to discuss. Fair warning.

Can anyone suggest a good bra for an ample chest? Started with Walmart specials and now everything sags. There are so many choices with high prices. I just want to keep the girls from moving, be able to put it on without help and be able to stand up straight in it.

You all have strong fun runs this week!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

It's a girl!

We are grandparents of a baby girl, Anneliese Marie, born this morning at 10:34, 7 lbs. 11 oz., 20-1/4 inches.  Randy was 21 inches and is now 6'2", so she may be a tall girl.  All went well and Mom is recovering well.  Randy will put pictures on Facebook and will e-mail some.  I will try to post when I can, but I had problems with posting the last time I tried, so no promises.  Anyway, we are elated and are now burning up the phone lines calling family and friends.

Congratulations to all on your races this weekend and I'm glad Bill and others are recovering from injuries.  We are back to 90 degrees here, so early morning runs for me or else the health club later in the day.  We may get some rain later in the week from the remnants of Isaac; that may cool things off and we can certainly use the rain.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

Steve, Congrats Grandpa!

Mary Kay, Thanks!  Can't comment on running bras - wife uses them, but her girls aren't large...On running shorts, my son and I definitely prefer the ones with compression shorts built-in, I think Brooks sells a nice one.  Don't remember the exact name off hand, but there's a I and II version of it. 

Got 5.25 miles of hill work in yesterday (Stanford Dish run) to go with the race and a very easy 4.4 with hills today (Los Gatos Vasona Park - easy rolling hills).  Lots of wildlife on both runs - turkey vultures, ground squirrels, Canada geese.

Run Strong everyone.

Ray

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Steve.....congrats GrandDad! That suit looks good on you!  I know you will enjoy being a grandparent! I hope you can get it worked out to post pics.

Mary Kay, whoo hoo on your almost 8 miles!! good for you girl friend! Sorry I have no input on the underwear issue, God didn't bless my in those regards. I was alway jealous of my well endowed friends it when I was younger, but not so much now. Tks for the suggestion of doing the LSD the day following the race. I've been thinking of that, or maybe a cpl of days later, even if I walk most of it. Galloway says the impt thing is the mileage. He doesn't schedule back to back run until later in the training, and I'm paranoid about getting hurt. Been there, done that, toooooo many times.

Ray, what can I say....23:16 pr.....WOW!  Are you sure the kid didn't have roller blades on?

Had a nice hill workout today 6 repeats (up from 5 last wk) and covered a total of 5 miles. The smell of fall is in the air, but it still was a balmy 75 degrees at end of run.

Happy running my mighty master friends.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

steve;  CONGRATS!! to the parents and family!!  Glad mommy and babygirl are doing ok! That is joyous news!!

Ray:  way to go, WOW!!  training is well worth it!!

mkayc:  so glad you're still running after a year!!! Love you spirit

Marie:  good job on your five miles! don't you just love those hill repeats, lol!

I'm starting again after being sick and recovering for 2 weeks exactly, and have managed to keep my 6 mile base: yesterday: 6.0 miles, 1:15:15, ugh!!  took 1 minute walk breaks after every mile. This morning: 6.1 miles, 1:07:02 with 1 minute walk breaks every two miles, YAY!!! Feeling good finally!

Hope to run a HM in Sept and another in Oct and return to sub 2 hour finish time.  Can't wait to get back to my trail running in northern AZ and to hug my grandbaby .

Keep at it everyone!!  Safe running!

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010

Webpro:  AWESOME!!  I love hearing your training reports! You're amazing and making 'us' proud!!  Excited about your marathon just as much as you are!!

Trail runner

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009

Steve great news!!! Congratulations to you and your family.  Was this your first grandchild? 

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It does fell good to be somewhat back in the "game".  i probably have been doing a little too much so I have backed off a bit.

-Bill

Jun 8, 2011

Steve, Congratulations to you and all your family!! Such a beautiful name and healthy size! What a blessing!!

Ray, hill work with wildlife. So jealous. I'm off to the gym because it's been in the 90s again for hill work on the TM. No geese, just gymrats and maybe a few turkeys.

Marie, glad you are being cautious. Back to back runs aren't for everyone. I've fallen into a routine with short runs on Sat and a long on Sun followed by coaching (which is a short easy run) on Monday and speed work on Tues. Can't figure out why I'm not progressing. Doh. Actually the Monday run is my "recovery". So, in my mind I wasn't thinking the back to backs would be risky. I can't wait for the coaching to end so I can cut back on the number of runs and make them more demanding.

AZ, so glad you're feeling better and back to running!! Maintaining a 6 mi base is great!! I'm there also and hoping it won't take too long to bump it up.

Bill, good attitude!

Thanks for your underwear input. I don't know what I was thinking. It started with a pair of sox on another thread and probably should have stayed there, too.

Hope everyone is getting stronger every day and loving it!

Mary Kay

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Thank you for all your good wishes.  Yes, Anneliese is our first grandchild.  They are due to go home from the hospital tomorrow and we've not heard anything to the contrary.  I don't know when our first visit will be; we'll go when they're comfortable having visitors. 

AZ, I'm glad you're feeling better.  You're certainly taking the right approach by gradually ramping up your running.  Marie, good for you on the hill repeats.  If fall is in the air in Tennessee, can northern Illinois be far behind?

I did a 25-mile easy-pace bike ride yesterday with some friends.  Today will be a rest day and I hope a long run tomorrow, weather permitting.  Apparently the hurricane is now stalled over New Orleans, so it may be delayed in coming north and raining on us.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Jan 20, 2010

Hi everyone!

Wed. ran 6.1 miles, 1:06:?? took 1 min walk breaks every 2 miles.

This morning, ran 7.1 miles, 1:14:10, YAY!!  took 1 min walk breaks every 2.5 miles. 

Overcast skies and lower temps with strong breeze on the return made the run so much nicer!!  less muggy!! 

Will incorporate hill repeats and more intervals next week ......... feeling great! 

Hope to run a HM in Sept and Oct, and return to finishing under 2 hours!

Good luck to each of you if you are racing this weekend!

Trail runner

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...