Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

918429 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 315 Previous Next
  • lindakay228 Legend 201 posts since
    Apr 11, 2010

Wow Calbiker, I like that advice you just found out.  I'm going to work at finding my pace more and not worry as much about trying to add distance yet.  I really like that!

Whole Enchilada 5k, Las Cruces NM 9-26-10 43:32

All Souls Trail Race, Silver City NM 10-30-10 45:55

Global Health 5k Run/Walk, Albuquerque NM 11-6-10 40:11

Ultimate Fitness 8th Annual Turkey Trot 5k, Deming NM 11-25-10 38:35

New Beginnings 5k Jan 23, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 40:20

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 12, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 39:54

Bataan Death March Memorial 15 miles March 27, 2011 White Sands Missil Range, NM 4hrs, 48 min 45 sec

Fort Bayard Wilderness 5k Trail Race May 28, 2011 40:52

Ultimate Fitness 9th Annual Turkey Trot, Deming NM 11-24-11 35:14

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 11, 2012 Las Cruces NM 38:29

• morganmike Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 23, 2010

Wow what a great thread this is.  Trying to read the many posts.  I'm 54, starting running at 50 after losing 50#s on WW online, started with 5K program and am now training for marathon #7, Marshall University in November.  I am slow but seem to find the finish line and have fun.  The Galloway run/walk/run has made the difference for me.  Thanks to everyone for the inspirational posts.  If anyone is on Daily Mile I am MikeF over there.

• grandrun Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010

Tightness in calves and hips is a huge problem for me so I'm hoping they will have suggestions for me.  I am so open to suggestions because I am very motivated to do this.  I do love running.  I see it as a time for myself in a quite reflective way-even though I do often wear my ipod and pay way too much attention to my Garmin!  I'll let you know how it goes with the workshop.  It's not until the 22nd though. Tomorrow will be an 8 miler for me.  I haven't run since my half marathon on Sunday.  Can't wait to get out there.  The weather in Boston has been perfect-cool and somewhat overcast sky-love it.

• Bill80027 Pro 68 posts since
    Apr 14, 2009

I too would be interested in hearing about the REI class.  I just bought the book Chi Running to take with us tomorrow when we leave on a two week vacation in the Grand Canyon, Zion & Bryce Nat'l Parks.  I have heard alot of good things about it.  But an actual live class would really interest me.  I have only taken on class at REI and wasn't impressed, but then it was a freebie.  Let us know how it goes and if it helps.

I have decided not to try running till Sunday to give my legs a nice long rest.

See ya all in 2 weeks!

Graduated C25K 10/11/09 with Mountain House 5K 33:25

Personal Bests:

Mountain House 5K 10/23/10  24:45

Nitro Turkey Trot 10K 11/25/10 55:32

San Jose Rock N Roll Half Marathon10/1/10 2:08:49

California International Marathon 12/5/10 4:51:42

• Beka52 Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 29, 2008

Hi everyone.  I have been trying to read all the posts in this thread.  It is a weath of inspiration so I thought I'd chime in.  A little about me...I started running about a year ago (52) and before I could really get into it my 9 year old grandson got killed by a drunk driver. It was a difficult time in my familys life. The woman just got sentenced to 30 years.  At the beginning of the year I started up again and now he's my little running angel.  When I fill tired I talk to him and ask him to give grandma some of his little angel energy.  Anyway Since then I have managed to get two 5Ks under my belt. First time was 44.25 and secound one was 39.39.  I have signed up for the Disney half so now I'm in training.  I follow Galloway's run/walk method, it great. I have also been trying to lose a few pounds but have not been sucessful.  It looks like WW has done well for some. I may give it a try.  I run and weight train three times a week and XT twice a week by doing Xtreme fitness at my local gym.  I am half way through getting my personal training certification through ACE. I'm teaching myself and its a little difficult, biomechanics, applied science, anatomy etc.  I don't run for time (yet), I love the way running makes me feel, but sometimes I am fatigued throughout the day.  My pt says I'm not eating properly.  How is a person supposed to eat to run to lose weight ?????  I am open to suggestions.  I know my time would get better if I could lose 10-15 pounds.  Kudos to all of you keep up the great work and never give up.

• Beka52 Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 29, 2008

Hi Mike

Just entered my first post.  I to use Galloway's run/walk method and I think it's great. It really makes a difference in my stamina.  I also read that you lost weight on ww on line. I would love to lose about 10 to 15 pounds what a improvment it would make on my running.  Marathon # 7 wow that is great. Thats a hugh inspiration well If you have any tips I would love it if you would share them with me.  Keep up the fantastic strength and drive and motivation.....

• Tinpanharry Amateur 14 posts since
    May 30, 2010

Hello all,

What inspirational lives you lead!

I was feeling sorry for myself because I am 53 and have been trying to complete the C25k program for the last few months and keep pulling one calf and then another.   I don't understand it because last year I trained for a 5k in August for the first time and ran it in September.  I didn't do a bit of stretching and had no problems.  I kept up the work on the treadmill over the winter and then pulled my back out in January.   Rehab prescribed LOTS of stretching and strengthening for my back, which I do religiously and now I am pulling my calves regularly.   I am puzzled as calf stretching is part of the rehab.

But after reading the past few pages of inspirational posts, I am going to persevere!   After my latest strain is cured, I will be back! 

Tinpanharry.

2010 Sep. 11, Eureka Mo. Lions Club 'Race for Sight' 5k 26"10

2009 Sep. 12, Eureka Mo. Lions Club 'Race for Sight' 5k 33"10

• Tinpanharry Amateur 14 posts since
    May 30, 2010

Grandrun,

It sounds like you are doing well.  How do you overcome the tightness in your calves and hips?

Thanks

Tinpanharry.

2010 Sep. 11, Eureka Mo. Lions Club 'Race for Sight' 5k 26"10

2009 Sep. 12, Eureka Mo. Lions Club 'Race for Sight' 5k 33"10

• grandrun Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010

Well actually I haven't overcome it yet!  I am working on stretching and trying to stick with it-that's my problem-staying with it.  I have a bad habit of thinking well I feel great and then just go off and run. Hopefully no more though-stretch-stretch-stretch-my new mantra.

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010

Welcome Beka, Mike, and Tinpan, glad you joined in!

Beka,I am sorry to hear of your loss but glad to see you have found a way to forever feel a connection with him as your running angel. Was that the Anaheim Disney you were referring too? This link may help you with your weight loss goal. From the few people I have talked with they say they tried weight watchers with little to no success but they did well using some of these principals as they apply more to athletes and weight loss. http://www.livestrong.com/diet-and-nutrition/

Grandrun,

Which Garmin do you have?

Onward and Forward !

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 315 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...