Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

951346 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 315 Previous Next
  • oldefarmgirl Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010

Thank you all for the warm welcome and sound advice.....my little voice says the same thing - it's okay to go slow, it's okay to repeat days or even weeks if I need to, so I will follow your advice and get myself out there this evening.  We were setting up irrigation on the farm last night, so that made it impossible to get out there before it got dark, so will ensure I get to it this evening instead.

I have one run that I will be signing up for, or actually even two:  The CIBC Run for the Cure in London, Ontario, on October 3rd and then another Women's Run in Toronto on October 23rd.  They are both walk/runs, so I know I will be comfortable with them and will just do what I can.

I look forward to checking in with you again.

• TrishFahey Pro 146 posts since
    Mar 28, 2010

I was so inspired by all of your weekend activities I signed up with a friend to run the Omaha Corporate Cup Race on September 19th. It is a 10k but I think if I just run what I can and walk the rest it should be just fine. It will be nice to have another race under better conditions :-)  I hope all of you are having a good week. We have lots of new people on this thread and between the new and the old..the stories are always inspiring and touch something within. Take good care!

Trish the Dish

Started C25K on 4/12/2010 Graduated 6/20/2010

First 5k June 20th Fathers Day Prostate Cancer Run Finished 40:31

First 10k September 19th Omaha Corporate Cup Run Finished 89.06

5k Memorial Park Turkey Trot 11/24/11 Finished 38:54 :-)

• DisposableSuperHero Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 12, 2010

This morning it finally happened...it was pitch black when I went out for my morning run. Darned planetary revolution! And it was still 90 degrees in the evening when I got home, right up until it was too dark to run. So...how the heck am I supposed to get my weekday runs in? Weekends are okay, but I work during the week, so my time is limited to early mornings and late evenings. What are you all planning to do to keep your running selves going during the shorter days ahead?

• Dougal40 Amateur 29 posts since
    Jul 18, 2010

I almost always run in the dark.  I usually start between 5 and 6 am.  I am lucky to live in the country where there is almost no traffic.  I have run 4 miles and never seen a vehicle.   I love watching the sun rise over the corn fields.  I have a 10K comming up at 6:30pm and don't know if I can run in the daylight!!!!  Running in the dark can be dangerous though.  You can't see small holes, deer, skunks or other hazzards.   Like Coolbikermom said, wear reflective clothing and enjoy the new day.

• Bill80027 Pro 68 posts since
    Apr 14, 2009

Congratulations those weekend results!  I often run in the early AM around 5am cause that's what time works for me.  I wear a reflective belt, light shirt, and I clip a light on my left hip and right wrist to make sure others have a chance to notice me.  I run in a residential area with some street lights, but traffic is minimal at that hour and I always run against traffic.  On the one busy street I move to the sidewalk.  I usually wear an Ipod but I keep the volume low so I can hear a car coming, though I usually notice the lights and will see it first.  I find it all rather peaceful.

I did our weekly track workout with my half marathon training group last night.  It pushes me beyond what I think I can do, but I sure go home tired.  We warm up with 2 easy laps, do 10 minutes of drills involving high knee lifts while running and similar evil things.   Then we do 4 sprints where we build speed throught the run.  We stretch in between all this.  Then we are "warmed up" and start our intervals.  Last night it was run a lap at 80% effort, rest 45sec and repeat 3 more times, then run 2 laps, rest a minute and repeat.  Then you cool down with 2 easy laps in the opposite direction.  Then you question the meaning of life.

Bill

Graduated C25K 10/11/09 with Mountain House 5K 33:25

Personal Bests:

Mountain House 5K 10/23/10  24:45

Nitro Turkey Trot 10K 11/25/10 55:32

San Jose Rock N Roll Half Marathon10/1/10 2:08:49

California International Marathon 12/5/10 4:51:42

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010

Well, as the days get shorter, is where access to a treadmill DOES come in handy.  Of course, I know everyone starts to SAY summer is over about this time of year but in Maryland, we don't really see that.  I'm still waiting for it to really start to cool off.  Today is pouring rain, so I guess that IS cooler.  But not quite the "cooler" that you really envision to run in!

I just read in RUNNING FOR MORTALS, about the value of volunteering to HELP with a race, even before we may be ready to enter it.  Bingham points out that not only do you get to meet cool people but you can also gather good intel about the race, so that when you DO run it, it's not a completely new experience.  Think that I'll sign up for one or two volunteer tasks this Fall.

Our mid-term primary elections (which tend to be the Big Day politically) are only about a month away now, and I'm a political wonk.  So if I am not around as much for a few weeks, know that's why, and I'm still rooting and reading whenever I can, and definitely still running -- just not finding lots of time to post!  I have been thinking about blogging but, that probably won't start until after Sept. 14, for me, either.

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010

Trish,

Atta girl! Hang tough you can do it!

Oldfarmgirl,

Your life sounds interesting, what type of farm do you have and where exactly in Canada are you? Farm living in itself is hard work but you you will get a lot of great running advice and support here if you hang around.

Onward and Forward !

• oldefarmgirl Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010

Thanks Calbiker....and everyone else.  Migraine has me sidelined, so no running yet - darn it all.  Hopefully this evening.

West of London, Ontario

Tobacco (yes, we do still grow it in Ontario)

Sweet corn (we have two HUGE road-side stands)

Peppers (grow for specialty markets in Toronto)

Soybeans and rye are rotation crops.

Stay tuned....tomorrow I should have something GOOD to report wrt my first run!

Mar 21, 2010

I just wanted to let every one know that here in Southern California we have officially started our Summer. We were blessed with "June Gloom" all Summer long which made for awesome running conditions. I read for the past couple months how all of you, all over the country were dealing with the intense heat you were having, secretly smiling due to our cooler conditions. Well, pay back is now. It started Monday but today was brutal. I still stuck it out both days on my regular routine but for the first time I can relate to what all of you have previously stated about what running in this kind of heat does to you. It was 95 here today and humid. It really messes with your mind and body big time. Needless to say each and every one of you were on my mind while grinding it out today.

Every body Take Care!

Onward and Forward !

• PJ Freeman Pro 115 posts since
    Feb 17, 2009

Summer hit San Diego on Monday too.  I live about 25 miles inland and it's been hot and humid (humid for San Diego).  I run at 6:00 am, but it was still warmer than I like this morning.   Last night I ran hill repeats with my husband.  We waited until 7:30pm, but it was still over 80.  You're supposed to run at 90% of your fastest pace for one minute and then slowly jog down for 2.  My uphill run is not that fast so I had to walk back down to use up 2 minutes.  My husband of course smoked me up the hill!  Anyway, it was hard, but not too bad.  I was able to keep upright and use my arms to help push up the hill.  I didn't notice any difference in my run this morning, but long term it should help with my endurance.

I have a sore groin muscle today.  I think I'm going to start keeping a log of what hurts during every run.  Eventually when I get past all these aches and pains (I'm hoping that actually happens), I'll be able to look back and see all that I've overcome.

I saw my sports chiropractor today.  We went over the video that he took of me running last week.  My gait isn't too bad, but my left leg is definitely not in line when I hit the ground.  I have muscle weekness in that leg from when I ruptured the disc 15 years ago so he gave me some exercises to strenghten my hips and gluts which should help pull everything in line.

Here is a link to an article about ways to build endurance.  Find what works for you.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Boost_Your_Endurance_in_7_Simple_Steps.htm

2010 Coronado Independence Day 5K - 40:12

2010 AFC 5K - August 15 - 37:32

2010 End of Summer Fire Run 4mi- August 29 - 49:55

2010 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Relay - October 2 - 57:12

2010 Shelter Island 5K - November 7 - 36:20 PR

2010 Silver Strand Half Marathon - November 14 - 3:14:05

2010 Las Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon - December 5 - 2:58:35

2010 Jingle Bell 5K for Arthritis - December 11 - 37:28

2011 Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker 10K - February 13 - 1:25:46

2011 Lost Dutchman 10K - February 20 - 1:19:11

2011 Saint Patrick's Day 10K - March 12 - 1:13:48 PR

2011 Carlsbad 5000 - April 3 - 34:30 PR

2011 Rock & Roll San Diego HM - June 5 - 2:51:54 PR

2011 Coronado Independence Day 5K - July 4 - 35:34

2011 America's Finest City 5 K- August 21 - 34:40

UPCOMING

2011 Rock & Roll Los Angeles - October 30

2012 Disneyland Tinkerbell Half - January 29

Mar 21, 2010

PJ,

Thank you for that fascinating and informative read. Very useful!

Coolbikermom,

You are absolutely correct, one size never fits all. Where have heard that wisdom before?

Onward and Forward !

1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 315 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...