Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

934316 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 315 Previous Next
  • calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010

lindakay228 wrote:

Wow Calbiker, I like that advice you just found out.  I'm going to work at finding my pace more and not worry as much about trying to add distance yet.  I really like that!

Lindaykay,

To me it made all the sense in the world. I saw in my self a very unorganized style of running just to squeeze in 6 miles. I kept thinking more is better not realizing that old saying, "quality not quantity" is so very true. I now have done two 5K days  this way and already feel the difference. We can add distance any time but to truly learn to run efficiently is paramount! Running is hard and physically demanding especially at our ages but it amazes me how much easier it is running efficiently.

Onward and Forward !

• morganmike Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 23, 2010

Beka,  Thanks for saying I'm an inspiration.  I never really thought of myself in that way and it seems to me that you are the inspiration.  I lost most of my weight as I said using WW on line and their point system.  This worked and was very gradual.  At the time I was not really getting any exercise and when I turned 50 I decided to start walking and running.  Running has become a passion.  I stopped using WW on line long ago but I would still recommend.  I now use Fit Day every day to enter everything that I eat and the exercise I do.  It's a free website.  It's a bit tedious at times but like every habit it has become second nature for me to enter my food and exercise daily.  In this way I fairly consistently know the calories I use and consume in a day.  Those that sell diet plans and products might have you believe otherwise but I don't think there is any big secret to weight loss, burn more calories in a day than you consume, eat lots of fruits, vegetables, appropriate nuts, high fiber (one ingredient) low fat and low sugar content foods, little red meat and little alcohol, and get 1/2 hour to an hour of moderate exercise a day (say just walking).  Of course all of this is a long term lifestyle choice and not really a "diet".  As someone else posted, I have found by doing these things I  have become fit and having an acceptable weight, BMI and blood pressure have all been by-products. If they are still available I would recommend listening to all of Dr. Monte's Fitness Rocks podcasts which I was able to download from I tunes and the book The Way to Eat by David Katz.  I bought a used hard copy on Amazon for about 5 or 6 bucks including shipping.  You don't have to run marathons to be fit it's just something that I enjoy training for, talking about and doing but that's just me.  Galloway's program has helped me achieve my goals and made me realize that I can be a "runner" and not have to knocking down 7 or 8 minute miles on long runs.  Good on anyone that can do that and stay injury free but that is not me.  There are many ways to stay fit and get that hour of moderate exercise in a day.  Yes losing some weight may help your running but I would not worry about that too much.  Just get out the door consistently and and enjoy your "runs" maybe using a 1 to 1 or even 30/30 till you build up.  There is a great little device called Gymboos you can get for about 20 bucks off Galloway's website that will help with timing your intervals while running.  Have fun!

• lindakay228 Legend 201 posts since
    Apr 11, 2010

Beka I'm so sorry for your loss.  I can't imagine losing any of my 12 grandchildren to any kind of death, whether illness, accident or something else.  But drunk driver deaths are so absolutely senseless and irresponsible.  I do like the way you still see him in your life and know that he's with you.  My mother passed away last year after a long battle with various illnesses, most of them weight related like congestive heart failure and diabetes complications. but I do still feel like she's with me and there are times when I will talk to her a little.  So I understand what you are saying.  My mom suffered a lot from her complications from weight, and although we both fought the same battle with overeating and weight for most of my life, it wasn't until a couple of months after her death something finally kicked in and I started really working on getting healthier.

Bill, hope you have a great vacation.

So good to see so much activity and hear advice, things that have been overcome, inspiring stories, and sharing tips.

I was going to run a 5k this morning for a local charity but woke up feeling really queasy and didn't go.  Feel better now than I did earlier. (it's about 1:30 pm now).  The run was to raise money for a dog rescue ranch and also a spay-neuter program.  I hadn't paid and didn't go.  I could have made myself, but am not quite that committed to running no matter what yet.  But then I got an e-mail from someone I know who did go and said only 9 people showed up total.  Then I felt really bad because even though it's not necessarily good to push yourself when you don't feel good, I could have showed up, paid my money to support them, and walked the thing.

Late this morning, after I did a couple of errands that I had to do, I decided to check out a trail that I had heard about in our town about 2 weeks ago that I had not known about before, and I thought I knew all the trails around here.  I decided to go look at it.  I keep a pair of sneakers in my trunk, although not the ones I really like to run in.  So I started walking on this trail and it was beautiful!!  It has a lot of shady trees and there was no one on it but it is maintained by an alternative high school here and they had put up signs with information about the geology, plants, history, etc in several places.  It crosses a small creek a couple of times.  I was going to just go down it a little bit and go back some other time, but ended up spending about 50 minutes on it.  After about 10 minutes of walking I decided to jog a little, as I am now experimenting with trail running and love it.  I ended up jogging about 35 minutes of it with a few very short walk breaks.  It was a little hilly but not bad.  I still didn't feel great but the jogging felt good and it was just for myself with no time or anything else.  Because I hadn't intended on doing this I didn't have my Garmin with me.  It was fun.  I'm definitely going to have to experiment with more of that type of running on trails just for fun as well as the times when I run to train.

Whole Enchilada 5k, Las Cruces NM 9-26-10 43:32

All Souls Trail Race, Silver City NM 10-30-10 45:55

Global Health 5k Run/Walk, Albuquerque NM 11-6-10 40:11

Ultimate Fitness 8th Annual Turkey Trot 5k, Deming NM 11-25-10 38:35

New Beginnings 5k Jan 23, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 40:20

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 12, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 39:54

Bataan Death March Memorial 15 miles March 27, 2011 White Sands Missil Range, NM 4hrs, 48 min 45 sec

Fort Bayard Wilderness 5k Trail Race May 28, 2011 40:52

Ultimate Fitness 9th Annual Turkey Trot, Deming NM 11-24-11 35:14

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 11, 2012 Las Cruces NM 38:29

• LipstickLady Amateur 17 posts since
    Jun 10, 2009

Trail running is absolute freedom in running. Most times I take my iPod and listen to the beautiful running music from run2rhythm.

It is such a great experience. I got my inspiration from this article.

http://run2r.com/about-run2rhythm.aspx

Jo

• lutzchat Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010

I just finished my first 5K in several years ... wasn't a real serious runner until the last 13 weeks, helping my friend complete the C25K ... we both finished the race which I am very happy about   I am a little disappointed in myself because I was slower than my personal best, but then again that just gives me something to work towards the next race! The fact that it was a humid morning -- haven't had that until today, didn't help!  My body is still strong and feels good running ... it's the breathing that gets me!

• Beka52 Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 29, 2008

Thanks for all the great tips. I hardly ever eat red meat, but every once in a while I just get hungry for a burger.  I get lots of exercise at least an hour plus 5 to 6 days a week.  I have already lost 80 pounds and have kept it off for years but still want to lose a little more. That is one reason I took up running and now I'm hooked.  Ran 6 miles this morning EZ run doing a 4/2 it took an hour and 28 minutes and that included a 5 min warm up, bathroom stop and a 3 min. cool down. it was great.  I'm half way at this point. I have apx 10 weeks left of training so I should be good to go come 1/2 marathon time. I'm excited and scared at the same time. Once again thank you for all the tips and info. Talk to you soon. Have a great evening.

Nov 29, 2008

Lindakay

Sorry you didn't get to run your 5 but there will be plenty of other opportunities.  I live in the high desert and I have plenty of trails behind my home. It is used mostly for quads and hikers.  It is very rocky in spots or I would try it, but don't want to break an ankle.  We also have snakes  It sound like you found a nice trail. Wish we had such trails.  We also don't have many shade trees on our trails, all open desert.  Glad to hear your felling better. I have a Garmin and I love it.  Still working on trying to figure out all the great things it does but have the most important ones down.  I read that you were thinking about getting your certification for personal training. I think that's a great idea.  I am in the middle of getting mine and I am hoping to get a job at our local gym. I have been training there for about 8 years.  I'm like you I will focus on people like us, the 50 plus athletes.  Well hope the rest of your day is fab and hope your next run is a great one.

• LipstickLady Amateur 17 posts since
    Jun 10, 2009

I have fould that running with the run2rhythm running music my run becomes almost as one - in other words - In tricky spots I think my stride length alters slightly to compensate and if I lose my stride rhythm it seems to come back quickly.

I'm not an expert but that's what happens with me. The people at run2rhythm have a lot of running technical information so I think they are qualified run trainers who have a great love of music and have put music and running together.

Most of my trail runs and long runs I do with music at between 160bpm and 166bpm. It obviously works because last year I did a 3:58 marathon. For the final 26 weeks of training I used their music.

I started trail running after a layoff for some variety and absolutely love it.

Kind Regards

Jo

• lindakay228 Legend 201 posts since
    Apr 11, 2010

Lutzchat - congratulations on your first 5k in a long time.  Even if it wasn't your personal best, you did it and eveyrone has off days.  Great job!

Beka, sounds like your doing awesome toward your goal.

I like all the activity going on here and new people joining!  It makes it fun and interesting.

I checked out the link to the run2rhythm and may check into it further.  Sounded good.  When I'm running on the trails right now I usually don't listen to anything.  I like the solitude and the peacefulness and the sounds of nature, just like when I'm hiking.  There are a lot of trails around here in the mountains, but some of them are way too steep for me for running right now.  There is a peak right on the edge of town and the edge of the Gila National Forest that some people have been running for years.  There is a better trail than there used to be now that isn't quite as steep but it's still a very good climb, even hiking it.  About 12 years ago, when I was really first feeling the effects of fibromyalgia but before I was diagnosed, I was going to a doctor that I complained about my tiredness too.  He ran a couple of blood tests and sent me a letter saying everything was fine and come back in 6 months.  I found another doctor.  But this first doctor had also told me I should run that peak every morning before work.  I wasn't even running at all then.  That was his solution to my fatigue.  Even when I get good at running I wouldn't run that thing, especially down because it's a very narrow hard packed trail that is steep and lots of little pebbles on the hard pack that slip easily under your feet.  I use a walking stick and am very cautious when doing that trail even walking, and like I said it's better than it used to be when he told me that.  There is so much brush, cactus, larger rocks, and stuff so you can't get off the hard pack to get more secure footing on the side.  Not a trail I would ever consider for trail running.

Back to the work week this morning.  Hoping the weather stays cooler (in 80's) for a while longer like it's been the past few days with a nice breeze.  Maybe I can go out trail running after work if it stays mild today.  Hope everyone has a great day!

Whole Enchilada 5k, Las Cruces NM 9-26-10 43:32

All Souls Trail Race, Silver City NM 10-30-10 45:55

Global Health 5k Run/Walk, Albuquerque NM 11-6-10 40:11

Ultimate Fitness 8th Annual Turkey Trot 5k, Deming NM 11-25-10 38:35

New Beginnings 5k Jan 23, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 40:20

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 12, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 39:54

Bataan Death March Memorial 15 miles March 27, 2011 White Sands Missil Range, NM 4hrs, 48 min 45 sec

Fort Bayard Wilderness 5k Trail Race May 28, 2011 40:52

Ultimate Fitness 9th Annual Turkey Trot, Deming NM 11-24-11 35:14

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 11, 2012 Las Cruces NM 38:29

• Sqatbdy Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010

Reading through all of these posts has truly inspired me.  I've just started running again (after 10 years).  I have run off and on, mostly off through the years and have never liked it.  Loved the results of how I felt, but it was always a struggle, and I'm very slow.  I ran my last 5k 10 years ago and had what I thought was awesome time.  Now I'm just starting to train for a 5k in August.  After reading through this forum yesterday, I realized that I'm not pushing my performance as much as I could/should.  I've only been pushing myself to a 4.8mph, and when I get tired I slow down.  What I did today though was bumped up my speed to 5.1 and when I started to get tired I pushed through "one more lap" and was able to keep it at 5.1 for 2 miles......thank you all for the tips.

Nov 29, 2008

I think thats a great speed I wish i could get my speed up to that and keep that pace. I am some what new to running and am gradually increasing my time but its been slow. I remember when I could barely run for two minutes straight. I like the run/walk method. I have really pushed myself to run for 30 to 40 mins straight but feel very fatigued afterwards. I usually run 4 mins at apx 4.2 and then walk 2 at apx 3.3. I feel some people walk faster than I run but it is what it is.  But 5.1 for 2 miles I think that great. That is about what speed I do when I'm doing HIIT.   Keep it up, sounds like you haven't lost it....

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 315 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...