Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1424 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2010 4:43 PM by tina39 RSS
Tina0524 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 2, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 2, 2010 8:44 AM

Help with my knees?

I recently (very recently) started the C25K program with my husband.  Today would be W2D2, but I can't do it.  My knees hurt so bad.  I wake up at 4am because of the pain and have to take some ibuprofin to ease it.  I had to take my 2 year old to the dr for a checkup yesterday and I asked him what I should do.  He said to take it slow, do some biking and swimming as low impact excercises, and work back up to running again.  I was encouraged that he didn't flat out tell me to stop, but I am very discouraged about having to take time off.  Plus my husband was doing well and he's kinda caught between a rock and a hard place with wanting to coninue on, and wanting to stop for a while with me.  I feel like if I stop I'll never start again.  Any suggestions or words of encouragement?

• Atsipootes Pro 102 posts since
    Oct 26, 2009
    1. Jun 2, 2010 11:59 AM (in response to Tina0524)
    Re: Help with my knees?

Sure, you will start again

I think you have knee pain because of never running before, it's a normal body reaction to running. Your knees were "sleaping" and now you wake them up, they are not happy But just for a short time, later they will get much much stronger and you will be able to run muc longer distances.

I think you should keep running, but just until you feel knee pain or instead of running, for example, 10 minutes, run 5 minutes. Just keep your body fit and everything will be pretty easy for you.

Good luck

I am now training for a marathon.

Feel the joy of running

http://www.you-run.com

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    2. Jun 2, 2010 4:11 PM (in response to Tina0524)

The mere fact that you started the thread tells me that you have the capability to continue.  I know it's easy to get discouraged, but stay positive.  Take the doctor's advice; start off slow and substitute some running with walking, cycling, and swimming.  And don't compare yourself to your husband.  Everyone's body reacts differently to the impact on knees brought on by running.  Take a few days off, and then try to run again.  If you start to feel some pain, try walking.  But as Winston Churchill said, "Never, never, never, never, never...give up."

Good luck!

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• tina39 Amateur 11 posts since
    May 2, 2010
    3. Jun 2, 2010 4:43 PM (in response to Tina0524)

Hi there.  I also had the knee pain into my 2nd week.  I rested it for a week, iced it and took aleve....little by little it went away.  It took a week.  When I began again I was more conscious of making sure my feet were not facing to the right or left because that could twist your knee.  It helped my knees, but then my achilles tendon started acting up, lol, but hey, at least the knee pain is gone....

Hope this helps.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points