Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1153 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2010 6:30 PM by ultimatehlth
TorturedBaker Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 3, 2010 6:42 AM

How to get night time food cravings under control?

I have lost 20 pounds in the past year and have about 10 more to go. I exercise (resistance and cardio) daily, getting one day off a week. I use a food journal on my Ipod (Lose It) which I couldn't live without. I track everything; calories, fiber, sugar, protein, carbs, fat and ect. But my problem comes in the evening after dinner. I just don't feel satisfied and I can't control myself so I eat anything. It's healthy food that I'm consuming, but still calories are calories. When I have these cravings it not that I'm desiring any food in particle, but just food. I'll have a heaping handful of almonds and still not be satisfied. So then I go for a Clif Bar or Kashi cereal. It's as if all my goals fly out the window when these cravings hit me. I don't seem to care about all the hard work I've put in or that I have seen such a huge difference with myself.  I must put in that I do eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. I break my calories up evenly so that my body has been getting nutrition from the start of the day. Any suggestions or tips would be GREAT!

• Nutrition Tara Community Moderator 41 posts since
    Jul 17, 2007

Congratulations on your weight loss!  That's a huge accomplishment!  A lot of times I find that evening cravings are a result of undereating.  Especially if the foods that you are craving are sweets or starchy carbohydrates.  It sounds like you are choosing very healthy foods, which tend to be low in calories.  As you lose fat and gain muscle you actually have to eat more because your metabolism increases.  It may be time to reassess your calorie and protein goals.  I wouldn't be afraid of eating a bit more but you want it to be a controlled snack rather than a starving binge.  Beat that hunger to the punch by planning for it!

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

www.taracoleman.com

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009

I think Tara gave you great advice, but I think sometimes it's an emotional issue and not hunger. Whether it's boredom, depression, etc. I generally recommend keeping some lower calorie options available to you (salsa and celery sticks, no sugar Fudsicles, or pudding). Once you finish your snake brush your teeth. For some the change in flavor and texture can do the trick.

Personal Trainer Los Angeles - Studio City

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points