Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2003 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2010 12:12 PM by lenzlaw RSS
gawd Pro 174 posts since
Mar 9, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 3, 2010 9:58 AM

What's your experience of ....?

I started the C25K plan in march and so far the longest distance I seem to be able to run is 3.5 miles.  I have hit stumbling blocks along the way so I don't run this long every run.  Lots of people have said that I seem to have lost a lot of weight.  In truth I have only lost a matter of a few pounds maximum but my shape has definatley changed a lot and as usual, I didn't really think I could have looked that much thinner, until I recently put on clothes I havent worn in ages, they are all much looser, one top is even far too big - ok, maybe just one size too big but it was a size too small before.  I knew my jeans were looser a while ago and put that down to running/legs.....but even my stomach is less bloated, flatter and I seem to have a better figure overall.

I am just a bit confused about how this can be when its mostly just your legs you would expect to tone up, I dont run such a long time or long distances to burn that many calories and I havent lost any weight in a month.  To be honest, I have been doing even less exercise than I had been in the beginning - so how can this be?

Secondly, my knees have recently started getting really sore behind the knee cap when running and then they will be sore when walking up or downhill, other than glucosamine & chondroitin as supplements and eating oily fish once to twice a week, stretching after a run etc, what can I do to ease and prevent this?

• lovethosehills Amateur 32 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    1. Jun 3, 2010 10:09 AM (in response to gawd)
    Re: What's your experience of ....?

This is only to address the pain behind your knees...this is probably your hamstrings (My Dr. addressed this for me). Running does alot of wonderful things for your legs (tone), but sometimes the hamstrings can get forgotten. Make sure you are stretching them thuroughly! Put your heels on a couch and straighten your legs; don't use your back. Hold this for ten seconds or so, and complete a few sets before, and after your runs. this will not only strengthen, but stretch. Also, fitz (poster) has some great core excersises. This will help you tone/strengthen your core, and improve your running.

Good luck, and Happy Running!

• lovethosehills Amateur 32 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    3. Jun 3, 2010 10:20 AM (in response to gawd)

My Bad...pls disregard! Sounds like the IT, but not my area of expertise. I hope things go/get better

Good Luck!

• fenderleigh Pro 69 posts since
    May 25, 2010
    4. Jun 3, 2010 10:28 AM (in response to gawd)

You use your whole body when you run. Every time you leave the ground and become airborn (so every step) you engage your core muscles, which is why you have seen a toning in your waist and middle. YOu use your butt, your abs, your back, your chest and shoulders/arms. WHile we try to keep non essential areas as relaxed as possible, you still use those areas somewhat.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jun 3, 2010 10:42 AM (in response to gawd)

You do a lot with your upper body while running.  You swing your arms, you breath deeply, and you use your "core" muscles to hold your body erect for all those miles.  Proper upper body form is important.  That's one reason exercises for the core become important as you increase distance.

Your knees: sounds like "runner's knee" (aka chondromalacia, patellofemoral pain syndrome, etc.), sometimes related to a slight mis-tracking of the kneecap.  A couple things to work on.  RICE can help, as well as ibuprofen or the like for pain.  You may want to cut back some on your running until it clears up.  Strengthen the muscles around your knee, particularly the quads.  Also when you run, make sure your feet are planting directly below your hips, not out in front of your body.  Here's a good basic article: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml#runknee

Len

Len

• NurseMommy31 Amateur 16 posts since
    May 7, 2010
    7. Jun 4, 2010 11:55 AM (in response to gawd)

This sounds like runner's knee to me, too.  I dealt with this in the early days of my return to running.  The supplements really won't make a difference either way, but continue them if you wish.  The most important thing is to strengthen the muscles of your upper leg.

I am so Blessed!

Lee's Friends 5K-- June 5, 2010  31:57.55 (First ever 5K)

Rock N Roll Half Marathon- Sept 5, 2010

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    8. Jun 4, 2010 12:12 PM (in response to gawd)

The supplements won't help with the immediate problem.  Their long term effect is stiil being debated.  Omega3 oils appear to have some beneficial effects.  Some studies say glucosamine helps, others that it has no effect.  It doesn't hurt anything, at least.  I take them both.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points