Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2549 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2010 10:28 AM by runpacowin
EL zorro de sombra Amateur 8 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 5, 2010 2:51 PM

Can I run 40 miles?

I want to run 40 miles on my 40th birthday.

On June 19, 2010 I will be 400 days away from my 40th birthday. I am an average runner (I think). I have completed one marathon (CIM in 2008 4hr 16m), two half marathons, and quite a few other runs t shorter distances.  I am currently running around 23-25 miles a week with a 8-10 mile long run. Can I realistically do it?

Thanks!

3irdView_LogoWithTM.png

• AsphaltRunner Legend 302 posts since
    Nov 25, 2008
    1. Jul 7, 2010 2:24 PM (in response to EL zorro de sombra)
    Re: Can I run 40 miles?

Yes, but you should be running more overall mileage.  But realistically you could easily complete 40 miles off of marathon training.  You would just be walking a large portion of it.

I went from longest of 26.2 to 39.3 (full and half riight after - ran the whole way), but I run a lot of marathons including on consecutive days.  So if you really want to train to run all or most of 40 miles, I recommend doing long/long runs on the weekend... like 20+ Sat and 20+ Sunday.

James
  • JasonFitz1 Legend 575 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    2. Jul 7, 2010 2:42 PM (in response to AsphaltRunner)

I think he wants to run 40 miles, not just cover the distance.

Since it's past your birthday, let us know if you did it!

Strength Running
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jul 12, 2010 7:04 PM (in response to EL zorro de sombra)

I know people who have done similar things but, while they run the full mileage in one day, they don't run it all in one shot.  They may run 12 miles, break for an hour, run 12 more etc.  Even ultra-marathon runners often walk parts and/or take breaks.

Len

Len

• runpacowin Amateur 30 posts since
    Feb 14, 2008
    7. Aug 16, 2010 10:28 AM (in response to EL zorro de sombra)

there are people that "want to do" and people that"do", I say go with it and do it.do your homework,get in the weekly miles. Must cellebrate after you finish.  keep setting goals

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points