Skip navigation

3850 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2011 4:58 PM by waterproofmp3 RSS
Shinman Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 6, 2010 2:45 PM

Advice on learning Flip turns?

Hello

I have been witness to a lot of swim practice in my days as a springboard diver in high school and college.  I have gotten into swiming for my Physical Readiness Test for the United States Navy and I am doing well for the times I need to meet. However, I do not flipturn, I have never learned and I am not sure how to go about it.  does anyone have any advice?  I am sure i could enlist a lesson but I was hoping to learnon my own and not have to join a class.

Thanks

• KurtinSC Pro 126 posts since
    Nov 23, 2009
    1. Jun 6, 2010 8:58 PM (in response to Shinman)
    Re: Advice on learning Flip turns?

Well... some of the stuff I did when teaching swim lessons might work... but you could feel a bit dorky.

The first thing I did was have the person standing in the shallow end practice doing flips in the water.  I know it sounds silly and basic... but some people just lose their bearings or get water in their nose and freak out while turning over in the water.  There's no way to progress beyond that point without first getting aclimated to the motion of flipping over.

Next... swim down the pool... doing 4-5 360 degree flips as you go down the length.  This is like the first step, but gets you used to the flipping motion without having your feet on the ground to begin.

Once you're comfortable with that, start just swimming into the wall and flipping over so your feet hit the wall... but dont' push off.  You need to learn the correct distance to begin your flip... too early and your feet miss the wall entirely.  Too late and your feet are so high on the wall that if you did push off, you'd go straight down to the bottom of the pool.

Next, practice flipping and pushing off on your back, keeping a tight streamline position, arms squeezing your ears and hands overlapped pointing directly at the other side of the pool.  Practice exhaling slowly from your nose so water doesn't get up it as you kick on your back to the surface.

Then lastly... do all of the above, but after your feet leave the wall perform a slow roll while streamline kicking so that you are on your stomach as your body breaks the surface of the water.

If you really want to get fancy, you can then work on timing your first stroke so that you begin it while your body is still beneath the water and your hand breaks the water to begin the out of water recovery just as you break the surface.  This is why it appears sprinters "pop" out of the water when they come out of their start or turn... their timing their first stroke perfectly.

Nov 23, 2009
    2. Jun 6, 2010 8:59 PM (in response to KurtinSC)

The biggest mistake people make is turning onto their stomachs while their feet are still on the wall.  It's VERY important to realize you push off on your back then rotate onto your stomach... this increases streamline, decreases the time on the wall... and uses less energy.

Nov 23, 2009
    4. Jun 14, 2010 11:46 AM (in response to Shinman)

It may be a bit different then the flips you do entering the water when diving.  While I'm no diver, I imagine that in diving you use your own momentum and just adjust your body position to cause your body to flip.

In a flip turn, you're using a lot of abdominal muscle to drive your head down to begin the flip.   When practicing, try to avoid sticking your arms out to the side to aid your flipping as well.  We all remember spinning over and over in the water with our arms out to the sides as children playing... but that's not very streamlined for doing a flip turn in the water.  You want your abs driving the flip motion, with your forward momentum carrying you toward the wall while flipping so your feet hit just right.

• GottaTriLK Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010
    5. Jul 10, 2010 5:05 PM (in response to Shinman)

Once you get the hang of it you will be able to do it like its second nature.

You may want to go to youtube and see if there are any videos showing how to, most likely are some videos.

Some things to think about for the flipturn that will help,

1. You're stroke should flow into the turn, its one continuous motion.

2. You don't want to lift your head up before you drive it and your body into the flip, it will disrupt the continuous motion.

3. Try not to take a breath the stroke before a wall, at least not until you have learned it.

4. Don't see the wall, and change stroke because you notice wall, many will shorten up stroke.

5. Push off for freestyle is on back, but immediatley goes to your side and slowly rotates to stomache.

Hope these help.

• waterproofmp3 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 6, 2011
    6. Jan 6, 2011 4:58 PM (in response to Shinman)

Im a newbie when it comes to flipturns but with plenty of practice and applying good techniques, you will eventually get the hang of it.

waterproof mp3 player for swimmers and water sports enthusiasts to help you get motivated in and out of the water.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...