Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

769 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 8, 2010 4:56 AM by Haselsmasher
stbtsprgsnewrunner Amateur 14 posts since
Mar 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 7, 2010 9:08 AM

Probable Stress Fracture

Hi,

I just completed my first full marathon yesterday and enjoyed every second of it; however, I noticed last night and this morning some pain on the outside top of my left foot right where my toes bend.  Simply putting weight on it doesn't hurt, but there are certain bending or pounding movements that are pretty painful.  Almost everything I've read pertaining to my symptoms points to a stress fracture except that when I touch affected area and apply quite a bit of pressure, it causes no pain at all.

I am going in for xrays on Wednesday, but I am wondering what other type of injury this could be.  Could it simply be pain from running farther than I've ever run before?  If it is a stress fracture, what is the typical recovery like?  Would I still be able to mountain bike?  Also, I'm going to Europe for 10 days on Thursday, so I'm hoping to at least have some mobility.

Thanks!

• Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 8, 2010 4:56 AM (in response to stbtsprgsnewrunner)
    Re: Probable Stress Fracture

My guess (and it's a guess - I'm not a doctor) is that you're not dealing with a stress fracture.  After I ran a half my foot hurt and the next day I was in my podiatrist's office - convinced I had a stress fracture.  I had some very minor soft tissue problem from 13 miles of pounding.  Wow - what a shock.  :-)

Be aware that x-rays can't see all stress fractures.

Congrats on the marathon!

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points