Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1111 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2010 9:22 AM by JasonFitz1 RSS
Karensfit4life Expert 80 posts since
Dec 27, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 11, 2010 11:57 AM

Help with Half Marathon Training Schedule

I need help with my half marathon training schedule.  I have been a hit or miss runner off and on since about January last year.  Nothing too steady or consistent but I did manage to work my way up to a 6 mile run last summer before taking a long break from it.  I finally started on a regular program following Hal Higdon's 10k program the beginning of May and have been doing really well on it but don't know when to jump over to ramping up my miles for the half.  Should I stay around the 5-6 mile range for a month or so before I start adding more miles?  How much time should I allow for the actual half training and building up that distance?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Karen (38)

Mom to 2 boys (13 and 5)

5/22/10 Festival of Hope 5k [39:12]

10/17/10 1st Half Marathon - Girlfriends Half Marathon Vancouver, WA

• campi_mama Expert 40 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    1. Jun 11, 2010 4:07 PM (in response to Karensfit4life)
    Re: Help with Half Marathon Training Schedule

I liked the training schedule on  marathonrookie.com.  You should be able to start it now at the level you are currently.  Do you have a half picked out yet?  I would work backwards from the start date of the half to know when to start whatever training program you choose.  Then just work on your base miles till  then.  (Does that make sense to anyone but me?) LOL

Good luck with your training.  I can't wait to do my next half!

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    2. Jun 14, 2010 9:22 AM (in response to Karensfit4life)
    Re: Help with Half Marathon Training Schedule

My recommendation is to be as consistent as possible until you start your half training schedule with easy running.  If you are comfortably running 5-6 miles (how many times/week?), you can increase your long run to ~7 miles.  Try adding another day of running with 3-4 miles if that makes sense; it's tough to suggest specifics without looking at your training for the past month or two.

For a half, you should run at least two 10 mile long runs (at the minimum) but preferably more longer runs so you are sure you will finish and feel good.  Depending upon where you're currently at, specific half training takes about 8-12 weeks.

Cheers, - Fitz.

Strength Running

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points