Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

12445 Views 52 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2010 4:30 PM by rolyone Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • LiLaLaPJ Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 1, 2010

Thanks for this. It is VERY helpful. I think people often forget when someone is new, we need the very basics. I know I watch the ground, need to change that. Thanks again for all the info. It IS greatly appreciated!

• Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009

LOL.  :-)  Good question. 

Center-of-Mass is Center-of-Mass.  It's the the balance point for a mass - independent of how the mass is actually shaped or distributed.  My wife is very slender and weighs about 50% of what I do.  She needs to balance her COM over her foot to be balanced just like I do.  It's just that my MASS takes up more VOLUME than hers does. 

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• running410s Rookie 16 posts since
    Jan 6, 2006

You are welcome.

I just read a book called Master the Art of Running, by Malcolm Balk and Andrew Shields, which had the look ahead instead of at the ground tip.

I have been experiencing pain between my shoulder blade up toward my neck, and since I have been concentrating on looking ahead instead of down, the pain has diminished considerably.

It reminds me of a quote by an old famouls tennis player, which I will horribly misquote:

"If you look like you are really trying hard or working hard, then you aren't really good at all"

Run easy most of the time

• kellymarie1081 Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 27, 2010

I think it's also important to remember that you don't have to be good at something to enjoy it.  And a lot of people run for no other reason than it's enjoyable for them.

• Lauri1959 Amateur 16 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

kellymarie1081 wrote:

to the original post:

two months ago i struggled to run for 60 seconds.  i was embarrassed and humiliated at the gym and felt self conscious about running.  it took weeks of telling myself that everyone there was so focused on their running that they couldn't possibly care what i was doing and probably didn't even notice that i was there.  last night i ran a mile and a half with no trouble at all but i'm still self conscious about it.  this post serves no purpose other than to confirm the fact that there are people judging them, to turn people off to running and set self conscious people back.  and if someone cares so much about the running form of other people, why not post something constructive and helpful instead of trash talking people who may not even know any better without the guidance of an experienced runner.

I hear ya!!!  I was self concious at the 60 second runs as well.  I am always happy to see people at the gym regardless of what they are doing or how out of shape they are. I think you are correct that MOST people don't care what we're doing.

Some people just post stupid stuff about how others do things to make THEMSELVES feel superior.

Good job on the mile and a half.

• SonicBolt Pro 114 posts since
    Aug 21, 2008

Thats one of the best pieces of advice for me anyways...looking ahead instead of down at the ground makes the run go a LOT smoother. I dont know if its the same for running but when I look up and forward on my bike, it opens the airway more so breathing is easier too.

Spring Dash 2009 5 mile 38.52

Spring Dash 2010 5 mile 37:17

Race the River Sprint Triathlon 2009 1:17:34

Race the River Sprint Triathlon 2010 1:14:25

Bloomsday 12k 1:02

Spokane half marathon 1:48

CDA half marathon 1:57

Windermere marathon 4:50

Open heart surgery to replace defective aortic valve 2/9/11

Spring Dash 2011 5 mile--volunteered

Practice winning...or you'll never be any good at it.....

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009

Really, kill someone over their running form?  A bit drastic perhaps?  Suck?  Well, I suck air if that's what you mean... a

• rolyone Rookie 1,084 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Your are wrong and are part of the problem why people get injured trying to force themselves to change their foot strike. It happend to me while a friend who was trying to help made things worse by convincing me that I had to run on the mid or balls of my feet causing more injury.

irregardless of where you land (Heel, mid or ball) of the foot if you are landing while your foot is still moving forward then you are braking. if you land below the torso (hip) while your foot is starting to move back (heel, mid or ball) of the foot ( shorter quicker stride) your are running correctly. Most elite marathoner still tend to land on the  heelor mid strick but land correctly underneath their torso. You run smoother with less impact when you foot is starting to move back and not landing when moving forward.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...