Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

12448 Views 52 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2010 4:30 PM by rolyone 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
animahngo Rookie 9 posts since
Sep 9, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 11, 2010 3:26 PM

I hold the believe that 90% of runners suck at running.

If I see one more person at the park or at the gym or on the road land heel first while running, I'm gonna kill something.

Attachments:
  • gettmovin Amateur 26 posts since
    Jun 1, 2010

How can you change the strike pattern?  Not sure where I land, will have to pay closer attention to that.  hope you don't live near me.  grin

• Slow Baztard Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 30, 2009

I know I suck at running. Pretty much as a rule running sucks. Naturally things only run when chasing something or being chased by something usually bigger. That being said I think anybody who is moving themselves forward at a pace considered running will eventually find the stride thats right for them. I'd say if you keep hurting yourself then your doing it wrong, if not good job. Sombody asked me once where I impact when I run and my answer was "usually on my feet". I do occasionally land on other parts though.

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008

Forget the road or the gym -- the next time I see a professional running magazine publish an "artful" photo of some guy or gal extending their foot way out in front of them, toes skyward, heel about to take an appalling strike -- I'm going to complain to the editor!

• SlowDue2Beer Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 30, 2010

Why are you so worried about how other people are running anyway.  I would say mind your own business.  Also I would like to add that I BELIEVE 90% of people over the age of 5 know the difference between belief and believe.  I hold the BELIEF that you are a running snob! LOL

• ozten Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010

If i see one more bloke running with boardies or those knee length cargo pants on im going to scream, do they realise how uncomfortable it is.

Oh im new by the way hi

• nikkicarr1 Legend 314 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009

Slow Baztard wrote:

I know I suck at running. Pretty much as a rule running sucks. Naturally things only run when chasing something or being chased by something usually bigger. That being said I think anybody who is moving themselves forward at a pace considered running will eventually find the stride thats right for them. I'd say if you keep hurting yourself then your doing it wrong, if not good job. Sombody asked me once where I impact when I run and my answer was "usually on my feet". I do occasionally land on other parts though.

Totally laughed out loud at work and got a dirty look....

Who cares if 90% of runners suck at running, hell I'm probably one of them!!!  Should we give up and go back to sitting on the couch?  If the stride feels right and you aren't injuring yourself keep it up and the snobs can look the other way if they don't like where my feet hit.

http://www.active.com/donate/PawsoverPittsburgh/nikkicarr

COMPLETED

2009: Opperation Troop Appreciation 5k oct 29:44 (first race), Greensburg Turkey Trot 5k nove 31:09

2010: On Deck for the Cure sprint 1mi 1-4 9:00, Race for Grace 5k 3-20 32:11, Yough River Council 1/2 marathon 4-10 2:16:39 (goal for 1st 1/2 2:25) 3rd in AG, Pittsburgh Komen Race for the Cure 5k 5-9 30:08, Jerry Mahar Jr Parkinsons Awareness 5k 6-5-10 29:28 6th in AG

Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon 12-5 5:01:?? FIRST FULL MARATHON (with calf tear)

2011: Race for Grace 5k 3-19 30:56, Alpha Fitness 5k 4-9 28:57 8th in AG, Pittsburgh Half Marathon 5-14 2:17:52, 9/11 Heroes Run 5k 9-11 27:34 (PR) 5th in AG, Pittsburgh ZooZilla 5k 10-2 28:03, Greenburg 5k Turkey Trot 11-24 28:35

NEXT PLANNED EVENT: Race for Grace 5k 3-31-2012, Pittsburgh Marathon 5-6-2012, Great Race 10K 9-30-2012

• nikkicarr1 Legend 314 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    7. Jun 12, 2010 12:30 AM (in response to ozten)
    Re: I hold the believe that 90% of runners suck at running.

ozten wrote:

If i see one more bloke running with boardies or those knee length cargo pants on im going to scream, do they realise how uncomfortable it is.

Oh im new by the way hi

Who's to say waht is comfortable?  maybe for you but not for them.

http://www.active.com/donate/PawsoverPittsburgh/nikkicarr

COMPLETED

2009: Opperation Troop Appreciation 5k oct 29:44 (first race), Greensburg Turkey Trot 5k nove 31:09

2010: On Deck for the Cure sprint 1mi 1-4 9:00, Race for Grace 5k 3-20 32:11, Yough River Council 1/2 marathon 4-10 2:16:39 (goal for 1st 1/2 2:25) 3rd in AG, Pittsburgh Komen Race for the Cure 5k 5-9 30:08, Jerry Mahar Jr Parkinsons Awareness 5k 6-5-10 29:28 6th in AG

Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon 12-5 5:01:?? FIRST FULL MARATHON (with calf tear)

2011: Race for Grace 5k 3-19 30:56, Alpha Fitness 5k 4-9 28:57 8th in AG, Pittsburgh Half Marathon 5-14 2:17:52, 9/11 Heroes Run 5k 9-11 27:34 (PR) 5th in AG, Pittsburgh ZooZilla 5k 10-2 28:03, Greenburg 5k Turkey Trot 11-24 28:35

NEXT PLANNED EVENT: Race for Grace 5k 3-31-2012, Pittsburgh Marathon 5-6-2012, Great Race 10K 9-30-2012

Dec 30, 2009
    8. Jun 12, 2010 12:45 AM (in response to ozten)
    Re: I hold the believe that 90% of runners suck at running.

Running the Gate River Run (15k) in Jacksonville I got smoked by a guy in a Sponge Bob costume and a Fire Fighter in fire pants, helmet, and air bottle. Yeah, they probably weren't comfortable, but they were still badasses. The only complaint I have with people running in plain clothes is that it takes a second to figure out if they are exercising or escaping. I gotta look around and make sure there isn't something dangerous coming like a bear or a clown.

• SlowDue2Beer Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 30, 2010

I have to ask the question, why the reference to UGGs?  My wife bought a pair of those this winter and I won't go out in public with her when she wears them.  I wouldn't recommend trying to run in those either and Animahngo(thread starter) would probably shoot on sight anyone that he/she saw wearing them while running.  Especially if you land heel first while wearing UGGs while running.  Shame on you!

runner.jpg

Dec 30, 2009

Nice work! Kinda looks like they actually fixed his stride a little.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

Really?  Well I hold the BELIEF that many people can't write a simple sentence in proper English!

• donnamacd Pro 120 posts since
    Nov 4, 2007

Agree, Marykb - LOL  Probably the same people that "loose" weight, rather than losing weight.

"You can't plow a field by turning it over in your mind." ...and you can't train for a race by thinking about it - you have to put in the miles.

• architeuthis Amateur 32 posts since
    Dec 14, 2008

The UGGs reference was spam. Report it.

• architeuthis Amateur 32 posts since
    Dec 14, 2008

animahngo brings up a good point. Most beginning runners strike on their heels -- I believe because the muscles and fitness to carry yourself properly have not yet developed -- and it can lead to injury as well as being inefficient. I was heel striking like a maniac until I read about the Chi Running style (not the only source of good information about not striking on the heel, but one of few places with good suggestions about how to correct heel strike). I recommend people Google for "heel strike running" or something like that and learn a little about this subject because it can definitely help you stay more injury-free and help you to keep running throughout your life.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...