Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5457 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2010 8:40 PM by JenVB
JenVB Amateur 25 posts since
Sep 20, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 12, 2010 9:17 PM

My first 5K!!--and this is what I learned--

I'm a C25K graduate (as of last week).  Today I ran my first 5K and learned a few things  1) XC means cross country, which means hills, lots of them!  2)  Just because you start at the back doesn't mean you won't end up in the middle later on (a lot of people slow down!)  3) People really do cheer you on, even though they finished the race 20 minutes ago  4)  7-year olds are pretty darn fast   5) Running on grass is very different from running on the road  6)  It is amazing just how fast you can run when you see the finish line.

I was slow, really slow.  I finished at 41 minutes, which is a 13:17 min/mile (they were kind enough to email my results and perform the calculations). I'm pretty proud.  Nine weeks ago I would never have guessed I would have been able to run that far. Woo Hoo!!

• dawn_o Amateur 26 posts since
    May 6, 2010
    1. Jun 12, 2010 9:58 PM (in response to JenVB)
    Re: My first 5K!!--and this is what I learned--

Congratulations on your first 5k!  I like your assessment of the experience; makes me look forward to my first race.

--dawn

Terry Fox 5k Race | 19-September-2010 | 35:11

James Cunningham 9.5k Seawall Race | 31-October-2010 | 1:04:03.94

The Fall Classic 5k | 21-November-2010 | 28:15 PB!

• polygro Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010
    2. Jun 13, 2010 2:24 AM (in response to JenVB)

That's great Jen, well done!  I'm not surprised that you feel proud of yourself - you should!

I'm thinking of signing up to run my first 5K but it will have to be in four weeks' time when I've finished the C25K.

Best wishes

Polly

"If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies"

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    3. Jun 13, 2010 2:34 AM (in response to JenVB)

Congratulations!

ITA about people cheering you on (As I came in from the AFLAC 5K in April, the crowd was screaming my name! )

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• moviechic3 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    4. Jun 13, 2010 5:23 AM (in response to Gravity06)

Congrats on completing your first 5K and that was a very decent time for finishing! Keep up the good work and have fun with other races to come

http://some-people-juggle-geese.blogspot.com/ (My Blog)

Upcoming Races :

11/03/12 Race the Bar 15K Winston-Salem, NC

Completed Races :

05/26/12 Run The Haw 10K Graham, NC 1:20:03

04/28/12 Owl's Roost 3.5M Greensboro, NC 46:26

03/24/12 Race the Bar 5K Winston-Salem, NC 42:52

09/15/12 Dublin Half Marathon Dublin, Ireland 3:20:24

10/20/12 Hit the Brixx 10K Greensboro, NC 1:22:05

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    5. Jun 13, 2010 4:55 PM (in response to JenVB)

Congrats!  Awesome news.  So when are you doing a 10K?

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• jpbgrad98 Pro 78 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    6. Jun 13, 2010 5:15 PM (in response to JenVB)

Thats a great assessment!  I look at myself and say - I would be super pumped to run a 5k in under an hour!  My wife and I are looking forward to it!  Great job on your accomplishment!

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • PaulR00 Rookie 3 posts since
    May 24, 2010
    7. Jun 13, 2010 5:29 PM (in response to JenVB)

Congrats, Jen! I just finished my second 5K. Isn't a great feeling to finish? (You're right about some of those little kids being blazingly fast though. I wonder what their secret is?)

• TracyLG528 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 13, 2009
    8. Jun 15, 2010 5:10 AM (in response to moviechic3)

Congrats on the 1st 5K!!!

Moviechic - it looks like you and I are in the same area.  I did the PTI run as well.  Majorly HOT!  I cramped up about half a mile in (left foot and shin) and had to walk a lot of it.  Still finished in 42:19.  Not bad for an old woman, huh?  However, I am determined to be able to run the entire race at the Women's Only in October.

• lcdenner Amateur 9 posts since
    May 11, 2010
    9. Jun 15, 2010 6:06 AM (in response to JenVB)

Congrats! And your post really made me smile because I am getting ready to run my second 5k (and hoping to PR) and when I started my first I remember thinking, 'this many people can't possibly be THAT much faster than me. Then about half way through I realized how many people I was passing because my pace was consistent. I am trying to remind myself of that going in to my second 5k and then half marathon and full marathon by October. Congrats again! I hope you loved it as much as I did!

Upcoming Events:

See Jane Run - I Run for Chocolate and Champagne 5k (Boise, ID) 6/19/10

Fit for Life Half Marathon (Boise, ID) 7/10/10

Eugene Women's Half Marathon (Eugene, OR) 09/05/10

Portland Marathon (Portland, OR) 10/10/10

• M.A. on M.V. Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 5, 2010
    10. Jun 15, 2010 7:56 AM (in response to JenVB)

JenVB wrote:

I'm a C25K graduate (as of last week).  Today I ran my first 5K and learned a few things  1) XC means cross country, which means hills, lots of them!  2)  Just because you start at the back doesn't mean you won't end up in the middle later on (a lot of people slow down!)  3) People really do cheer you on, even though they finished the race 20 minutes ago  4)  7-year olds are pretty darn fast   5) Running on grass is very different from running on the road  6)  It is amazing just how fast you can run when you see the finish line.

I was slow, really slow.  I finished at 41 minutes, which is a 13:17 min/mile (they were kind enough to email my results and perform the calculations). I'm pretty proud.  Nine weeks ago I would never have guessed I would have been able to run that far. Woo Hoo!!

Thank you so much for the race report- I am running my first 5k on 6/26- I am very excited to cross the finish line! you sound like you did great- looking forward to seeing you succeed in your 2nd 5k!

• kimmack Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    11. Jun 15, 2010 8:12 AM (in response to M.A. on M.V.)

That's Awesome! I just registered for my first 5K scheduled for August 28th. I'm excited!!

• DanPhx Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    12. Jun 15, 2010 8:49 AM (in response to JenVB)

Great job! I finished the C25K a few weeks ago and ran my first 5K last Sunday. It's funny how you can run further by yourself but to commit to participating in a simple organized event makes calling yourself a runner somewhat more official in your own mind. Thanks for sharing and spreading the support for us newbies.

• LizinCali Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    13. Jun 15, 2010 1:34 PM (in response to JenVB)

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm registered for an XC 5k in San Francisco and I can't wait. Your post really made me feel like I can do this.

Much appreciated!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...