Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

111574 Views 850 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 9:29 AM by edensacres RSS 1 2 3 ... 57 Previous Next
juju31 Expert 43 posts since
Jun 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 14, 2010 6:57 AM

Starting c25k 6/14/2010

Hi All

I use to be very active and make time to take care of myself.  However, working full time and trying to juggle 2 kids and every day life it's hard to make time for yourself.  I have a 9 1/2 year old son and my husband and I just had a baby girl 7 months ago.  3 weeks after giving birth to my daughter I was put in the hospital because I had congestive heart failure.  I am currently taking 3 different medications and after months on the mend they have agreed that exercise would be good for me.  So that being said I decided I needed to have a goal and I thought this would be the best way to get me moving again so to speak.

I am slowly trying to change my bad habits...I normally would skip meals and then at the end of the day be starving.  I am now  trying to eat 3 meals a day and a snack.  I also have given up soda...this has been the hardest thing for me but I am proud to say that I have not had a soda since Mother's Day!

I look forward to the challenge and taking this time to begin a new journey.  I plan on being around for a very long time for my husband and kids so I want to do everything I can to be healthy.

Just curious if anyone else is starting this week as well?

After I meet this goal of a 5k I really would like to be able to do a half marathon in late Oct.

Wish me Luck!

• TappingMama Amateur 40 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    1. Jun 14, 2010 8:31 AM (in response to juju31)
    Re: Starting c25k 6/14/2010

Hi,

I am starting today as well!  I just got back from Day One and it felt great.  I, too, used to be very active.  I danced for 10 years and always took care of myself.  I work full time and have two children as well so we have that in common.  My son is 12 and my daughter is 9 and they keep me very busy!  I want to get in shape again and lose 15 pounds (how did that happen!).  Good luck!

*Kim*

Married to Rick (12-30-95)

Happy Mama to Ryan (12.5) and Raegan (9)

I love my pugs, too!  Max and Jack (3)

W8D3 Completed!

• VaBigDad Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    2. Jun 14, 2010 8:40 AM (in response to TappingMama)

My plan is start today as well.  I only have one daughter who is 18 months old.  She keeps me very busy chasing after her right now.  I realized 8 weeks ago that I needed to do something to get my life back on track.  Since then I have gotten my diet under control.  I used to love to excersize, but the days of meeting people and lifting for an hour or two are done.  My schedule along with my wife's do not work well with that.  So, I needed a goal.  I would like to start running.  I thought this program would be a very good start.  So, good luck to both of you.  I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

• 2RunAgain Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    3. Jun 14, 2010 10:27 AM (in response to VaBigDad)

Yikes!! I just found out about C25K last night and think I'm ready to finally get active again!!  I'm single and will turn 42 next month. I, too, have been in shape most of my life but I've really let things go recently and would like to lose about 20 lbs. I used to LOVE running and now I'm so out of shape that I'm not thrilled about getting on the treadmill anymore. I used to be sorta cute and I'm ready to date sorta cute men again. LOL I'd love to join you guys and start today. I have a treadmill here at home so I'll commit to jumping on it and doing the first workout later today. I'm scared (that I won't keep my word - yet again) but I'm kind of excited to finally feel a bit of motivation. I look forward to supporting you guys and hope you'll support me too! I'll check back in with you all often...

Jun 14, 2010
    5. Jun 14, 2010 11:09 AM (in response to juju31)

It will definitely help me if I have other people to be accountable to!  LOL  I downloaded an App on my iTouch earlier for the c25k program.  It looks great.  My hardest problem this morning was keeping track of the 60 and 90-second intervals.  This App keeps track for me...that will make it sooo much easier.

Hope you all do well today!  Keep everyone posted!

*Kim*

W8D3 Completed!

• Wobbles007 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    6. Jun 14, 2010 12:35 PM (in response to juju31)

Hello All! I am Tiffany and I am a beginner runner. I have never, ever ran in my life. I attempted to at the gym a couple of times on the tredmill, but I always gave up because I pushed myself too hard from the beginning and didn't feel like I could make it.  I really would love to join the c25K with you all! I am actually starting week 2 as of today, I completed my first 3 workouts in week 1! I am very excited and extremely motivated to get in to shape and do this! I think it would be really helpful to have a good support group to help keep me motivated and to give each other motivation! Good luck to all of you! We can do this and we will look great! 

• Scjohnson Pro 89 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010
    7. Jun 14, 2010 1:48 PM (in response to Wobbles007)

Today I'm doing W2D1 (If I can get blisters taped up enough!)

Hopefully we will all be finishing up at the same time!!

Nike+: scjohnson243

C25k Started - 6/7

_____

Zoo Zoom 5k- 8/28/10 :  44:41

• RobRunsIndy Amateur 22 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    8. Jun 14, 2010 1:54 PM (in response to juju31)

Rock on, JuJu. I started on Sat 6/12, so today, 6/14, will be my second circuit in the first week. I started last week by breaking in with just walking for about 40 minutes on 6/8 and 6/10. Due to work and/or the HEAT I'm going out either really early (yes, I was actually out at 5 am for my first circuit on 6/12) or later in the evening (which I'll do tonight). So, even though I'm a day ahead of you and the other newbies here, I'll be glad to be a part of the JuJu c25k 6/14 club. Good luck, have fun, and stay hydrated!

Cheers,

Rob

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    9. Jun 14, 2010 3:43 PM (in response to juju31)

No starting, but just wanted to say congratulations on giving up soda!  That would be impossible for me!  You're courageous...seriously....

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• Chirojawa Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    12. Jun 14, 2010 4:42 PM (in response to juju31)

Hi all.

I recently lost 39 pounds which started November 2009 and I attribute it to having a good diet and C25K.

It was a long nine weeks but it can be done.  I ran my first 5k in April and ran my second one yesterday.  I am 37 and feeling great.

To the OP, going from a 5k to a half marathon in 4 months may be a bit tough.  I'm just starting C2 10K which is also available for the iPhone.  I plan to run a 10k in November.

Good luck to you all.

Jun 14, 2010
    13. Jun 14, 2010 5:35 PM (in response to juju31)

I am excited to see our little group growing.  It will definitely be inspiring to read others' posts.

I downloaded the 5K APP by Alex someone.  I found two and his seemed to go right along with this program.

I went out to dinner tonight and ate 3 pieces of bread.  What the heck?  No discipline...at least I didn't eat dessert.

*Kim*

W8D3 Completed!

• jpbgrad98 Pro 78 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    14. Jun 14, 2010 6:23 PM (in response to juju31)

My wife and I started yesterday... we would love to join this group if you'll let us.  :-)

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
1 2 3 ... 57 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...