Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

111573 Views 850 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 9:29 AM by edensacres RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 57 Previous Next
  • faithintx Legend 250 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Jun 17, 2010 6:44 AM (in response to RobRunsIndy)
    Re: Starting c25k 6/14/2010

Rob, I'm jealous...I wish I could go out running after dark. I don't live in a bad area, but it makes me uncomfortable to go out running alone at night. Maybe it will make me run faster....lol. I don't think I want to run in my neighborhood at this point. Maybe when I get a little better.

WTG Wobbles! Keep it up!!!!

I was planning to hit W1D3 this morning, but ended up sleeping until 8 (which is late for me!) I woke up and fell back asleep. Today is a long "2nd-shift" school day for me, in which I don't get home until 9. I played tennis last night so I guess I could give my legs a break, and hit Day 3 tomorrow morning.

Have a great day everyone, and never give up!

Completed - W3D3

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.....either way, you're right.

Do what is unnatural, until it becomes natural.

Medical fact - if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

• faithintx Legend 250 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    76. Jun 17, 2010 6:45 AM (in response to QueenKitty)

Oh yeah...you go, Queen Kitty!!!!

Completed - W3D3

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.....either way, you're right.

Do what is unnatural, until it becomes natural.

Medical fact - if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

• AlteredMentation Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 14, 2008
    77. Jun 17, 2010 7:52 AM (in response to juju31)

Hey Everyone,

Well I finished W1D1 last night...it felt great.  I got curious while I was running about how many of us are using a treadmill versus on the street.  I am starting out on a treadmill but plan to convert to a street a little later.  I know for me it is a lot more boring on the treadmill (I used to run on streets years ago), but it is too hot here when I can run otherwise.  I had heard you definitely have to get used to the street before you try a 5K though....big difference.

Anyway - I have officially started the program now.  Good luck everyone!!

• Lynae64 Pro 79 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    78. Jun 17, 2010 7:58 AM (in response to juju31)

Well I missed my run last night and my workout. Did not feel well all day at work so went home and went to bed. Tonight though I will be right back out there for W3D2, calves are still a bit sore, so I think I will run at the school instead of the pavement this time and see if it makes a difference.

Everyone is doing such a great job! I am jealous of those that can give up the soda, although I have cut way back, I actually go a few days without some and then need a hit. I only drink diet though so at least the calorie intake is lower. Speaking of calories, I lost 1 lb in the last week and 2 inches.....that is a bit frustrating, but my DH says muscle weighs more than fat so I am doing good, if in fact I am building muscle. Hubby started running again too, he is one of those that can just get up and run 5 miles, jealous! My daughter started running also and is following the same program she is W1D3, and is running the Cure with me this year.

Keep up the great work everyone, soon we will all be running all over our cities! Which begs the question, where is everyone from? I am in a suburb of Portland OR.

First 5K will be August 13th, The Catnip 5K benefiting the Cat Adoption Team in Sherwood Oregon

Second 5K will be Sept. 19th, The Race for the Cure, Benefiting Breast Cancer Research

Still looking for an October and November race.

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    79. Jun 17, 2010 8:04 AM (in response to Scarpela)

Anna I'm having trouble getting the app to text to my phone.  What BB do you have?  Did you have any issues?  Thanks for your help.

• maggiemae76 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    80. Jun 17, 2010 9:39 AM (in response to juju31)

W1D2 done!  I had a list of excuses why I couldn't run today. I burnt my back yesterday at the waterpark,  my monthy friend came to visit last night and I slept like sh** (probably because of the first 2 excuses).  But you know what?  I got up anyway (gave myself an extra hour)  and ran.  And I finished it!  There were several times when I wanted to stop and say I've done enough but I didn't and I am so proud  of myself.  I hope I can keep this up!

I think this group is helping with the motivation.  I like coming on here and seeing others complete thier runs but it also motivated me to finish today.  I really didn't want to have to come on here and say I couldn't finish it!

C25k Started 6/15/2010

My C25K blog

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    82. Jun 17, 2010 9:49 AM (in response to maggiemae76)

Maggiemae - GOOD JOB!  You didn't let your "bad angel" win.  One of the biggest enemies we have is ourselves.  Pretty soon you will wake up excited to jump up and get with the program.

Melinda

• Scarpela Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 29, 2010
    83. Jun 17, 2010 9:53 AM (in response to QueenKitty)

Way to go everyone!! I'm glad everyone is finishing up their runs! I went out yesterday and ran/walked a total of 3.78 miles, I walked more then I ran though. But I started at 2 p.m. and it was 90+ degrees out yesterday! I was completely soaked when I got back to my car but it felt GREAT!! And I think I'm going to do it all over again today! (Maybe with a little more running this time.) As for where I'm located, I'm in North Alabama and the humidity is terrible!! But the more I'm out in it the easier it gets!

QueenKitty, I didn't have any trouble getting the app on my BB. I use the Storm and I think I actually found the app in the appworld and downloaded it from there. Keep in mind that this app is only going to keep up with distance, time and speed. It's not going to tell you when to run or walk. If I come up with another good app I'll post it on here.

• jpbgrad98 Pro 78 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    84. Jun 17, 2010 11:25 AM (in response to AlteredMentation)

AlteredMentation - I run on a treadmill, but I read that a way to better simulate the outdoors is to raise the incline of the treadmill by 1% to 2%... this way your body isn't letting the treadmill propel your feet.  I plan on getting through week 2 this way and then, week 3 I was going to take my run outdoors.  If all is well, I can finish C25k outside.  If not, oh well - at least I am moving!  Great job on completing the first step (W1D1)!

maggiemae76 - Great job on pushing through the excuses and accomplishing the run.  I know that excuses got me where I was before I started this program.  WE are all going to be here for you and each other.  I want to shout out to juju31 for starting this thread.  We are all getting so much from it.

QueenKitty - Good angel and bad angel - you got that right!  We are the biggest enemy of ourselves - spot on.

Lynae64 - Great to see that the entire family is taking interest in running.  As far as giving up soda - I have that vice as well.  I have gotten myself down to one soda per day, which is still not ideal, but considering I used to drink like 7 per day, I am proud of myself.  Awesome on losing the 2 inches and 1 pound... every little bit counts, so don't let it upset you.  Muscle does weigh more than fat!  Oh, and by the way... I am from Hazelwood, MO.

FaithInSC - Tennis is a great workout, especially in this heat - make sure to stay hydrated!

Scarpela - Who knew that sweaty clothes could feel SOOOO good???  And sore muscles, even better.  :-)

Alright all - since I have the day off of work today, I think my family will goto the park and play for awhile.  Everyone have a great day!

Happy Running - Jason

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • Wobbles007 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    85. Jun 17, 2010 1:51 PM (in response to juju31)

W2D3 = DONE!!!!!!!! YAY!! I am so very very excited that I am finished with Week 2!! This is the longest I have ever consistently ran (I know, sad), and I am feeling great! I am a little bit intimidated to hit W3D1, as I was having a very difficult time running for the 90 seconds, let alone 3 whole minutes! SCARY. I hope I can do it! I know that you are all there right with me, so that is helping to push me through it!! If you can all do it, so can I.. (right?)

Anyone else already conquer W3D1 and you were intimidated about it before you did it? I would love to hear some advice and someones story on accomplishing this! Thanks!!

Best of luck to all of you today and I hope all of you have a great day! Run, Run, Run!!

Jun 14, 2010
    86. Jun 17, 2010 1:57 PM (in response to AlteredMentation)

Altered, I enjoy running outdoors, although I do have an ellipitical in the garage and I use that when it is really raining (which is often here). Running on the street is harder for me but I do enjoy not having the distraction of my animals, tv, hubby etc...

First 5K will be August 13th, The Catnip 5K benefiting the Cat Adoption Team in Sherwood Oregon

Second 5K will be Sept. 19th, The Race for the Cure, Benefiting Breast Cancer Research

Jun 14, 2010
    87. Jun 17, 2010 2:16 PM (in response to Wobbles007)

Wobbles, I was very intimidated by week three, like  you the 90 second run was killer and I didn't think I could do it and had almost convinced myself of the upcoming failure that I was going to do W2 again. At the last minute I told myself just try it and see what happens, then just to make things more challenging I went completely road (instead of trail) and had sore calves from hiking the day before. Well I made it and YOU WILL TOO! My three minute run turned from a brisk jog to what would probably not even pass for very sloppy speed walking, but it actually went pretty well and I didn't collapse at the end and really when I got done thought I could go again! So have faith in yourself and go for it. I will be doing W3D2 tonight so just imagine that there is someone struggling right along with you.

• jpbgrad98 Pro 78 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    88. Jun 17, 2010 3:14 PM (in response to juju31)

Ok.. question... what do you think is the best way to warmup?  I normally don't stretch and keep reading that stretching before a run or workout helps reduce the chance of injury.  I generally just do the brisk 5 minutes walk as my warmup and then move into the program.  Same for the cool down.  Any advice would be helpful.  The last thing I want to do is get a few weeks into C25k and then *WHAM* injury.  I may cross post this on the main forum and see what responses I get.  I can copy the advice I get if everyone would like.  Thanks!

Happy Running - Jason

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • nosirrahm Expert 92 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    89. Jun 17, 2010 4:37 PM (in response to juju31)

I just started the C25K today (again).  I started it 2 years ago and didn't finish it - re-gained weight, blah, blah, blah.  I suggested my cousin in England do it - she finished and has run a few 5K races and has maintained her weight loss.  OK, so I feel a little like a loser and have gained the motivation to start again.

I just completed W1D1 today.  I still had my Ullrey podcasts, but I am happy to see that other folks created podcasts with better music.  I will see how it works for me since one set doesn't have a speaking voice telling you "Go!"  "Stop!" - just an electronic voice counting down the last 5 seconds and the music changes.  Like I said the music is better so it may be able to work better for me.

Good Luck All!

Started C25K on 6/17/10 

W4: Completed 7/13/10

Garmin: nosirrahm

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 57 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...