Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

120681 Views 850 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 9:29 AM by edensacres Go to original post 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 57 Previous Next
  • TappingMama Amateur 40 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    780. Jul 30, 2010 4:12 PM (in response to QueenKitty)
    Re: Starting c25k 6/14/2010

Where is everyone?????  Did everyone get sick of posting?  You didn't stop running did you???

I was thinking about it today while I was kicking the butt of W7D1...we are done with the "fun" runs that gave us little breaks and little goals to accomplish.  Now we are down to the real deal...running 25, 28, 30 minutes...and it's harder to get those little bursts of energy with the breaks and feeling those little accomplishments that we did the 3, 5, 8 minute runs, etc.

I ran the 25 minutes today and did great.  I ran faster than the last time because I made it farther around my neighborhood so I was glad about that.  I walked the rest of the way home and that made it three miles.

I hope everyone is still hanging in there...I miss reading about everyone's runs.  I go back to work on Monday so that will add some stress to my life.  It's been nice to have the summer off.  I plan on running Tuesday, Thursday after school and then on Saturday.  Hope to hear from you all soon!

*Kim*

Married to Rick (12-30-95)

Happy Mama to Ryan (12.5) and Raegan (9)

I love my pugs, too!  Max and Jack (3)

W8D3 Completed!

• AGC525 Pro 62 posts since
    Jun 27, 2010
    781. Jul 31, 2010 3:18 AM (in response to TappingMama)

Kim - I'm here!

I ran and finished W6 last night and it felt pretty good. My calfs were definately burning, and towards the end I got a horrible cramp...I don't know if it was what they call a side stitch or what...but it was a first for me. It felt like someone shoved a sword into my right side above my hip. I had to walk and stretch it out for a few seconds but everything else was fine. So I'm going to look into it today, I'm not sure if was from eating or drinking before hand, not stretching properly...I'm not sure. I also made sure I ran the 2 1/4 mile distance, and not just for 25 minutes since I'm at a slow pace. my time was 29:53 which is about 13.333 minute pace. better than I thought I would be doing, honestly! So I'm looking forward to W7 and 2.5 mile intervals.

Tony

Tony

C25K graduate, future Ironman

PR:

City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K (38:07)

Upcoming Races:

Operation Troop Appriciation 5K 11/7

Run for the Wounded Warrior 5 Mile 11/13

YMCA 20th Annual Turkey Trot 5 Mile 11/25

Dick's Sporting Goods Half Marathon 5/15

PNC Pittsburgh Sprint Triathlon 7/31

• faithintx Legend 250 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    782. Aug 1, 2010 6:41 AM (in response to TappingMama)

Well, I took a stab at W6D3 today. My little running area is really deserted on Sunday mornings, and the track is DEFINITELY out of the question because it's tucked away and surrounded by woods. As soon as I pulled up this strange guy was mulling around on my running path and I ended up sitting in the car for about 10-15 mins until he went away. I only ended up running 20 minutes - which I guess I will take because I almost didn't get up at all, and almost just left when I was sitting in the car. So, I guess 20 minutes (instead of my planned 29 or the prescribed 25) is a small victory. That's only about a mile and a half, instead of 2.25.

*sigh*

I guess on the positive side, I am learning to look at what I was able to accomplish, more than looking at what I didn't accomplish.

It's finals week and there's lots of stress here. But at least I ran.

Completed - W3D3

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.....either way, you're right.

Do what is unnatural, until it becomes natural.

Medical fact - if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

Jun 16, 2010
    783. Aug 1, 2010 6:42 AM (in response to faithintx)

Jason - you are conspicuously absent! I hope all is well with you and the fam...

Completed - W3D3

• belakz Amateur 29 posts since
    Jan 23, 2009
    784. Aug 1, 2010 3:21 PM (in response to juju31)

Hi everyone, wow it is like a ghost town.  But hopefully everyone will return from their busy summer.  I finished W6D3 Saturday and had my fastest mile.  Monday I will do W7D1.  The breaks are over and only 3 weeks left.  I do have a 5k planned the weekend after I complete the C25k on August 21st.

Kim

"That which does not kill me, makes be stronger"

Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888

C25K Finished 8/19/2010

MAYC 5k Aug 21, 2010 44:38 PR

• TappingMama Amateur 40 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    785. Aug 1, 2010 3:34 PM (in response to belakz)

I completed W7D2 today.  I ran a total of 29 minutes instead of 25.  It's so quiet around here.  I am going to keep posting as I run because it keeps me going.  I hope everyone is still working at it.  Hi Tony and Kim and I know someone else posted after my last post, too! 

I go to work tomorrow for pre-planning.  Looking forward to meeting my class next week.  I plan to run Tuesday and Thursday this week after work.  I hope it works out.  Have a great Sunday, everyone!

*Kim*

Married to Rick (12-30-95)

Happy Mama to Ryan (12.5) and Raegan (9)

I love my pugs, too!  Max and Jack (3)

W8D3 Completed!

• Lynae64 Pro 79 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    786. Aug 1, 2010 5:16 PM (in response to belakz)

Still running but getting very frustrated. I have a 5k to do in 2 weeks, but my IBS has gotten so bad I can only run a mile before having to stop and visit a potty. It is making running very difficult, have tried every time of day and every option I could find on the internet. Guess it is time to go to the doctor. I am irritated because I finally found something I am enjoying and losing some weight with and now this. Ggggrrrrr why can't I just have this? Currently I want to run yet dread going out there as I never know if I will make it or not. I think I am going to go back to running at the school, at least I will be close to the portapotty until I can find some other answer.

First 5K will be August 13th, The Catnip 5K benefiting the Cat Adoption Team in Sherwood Oregon

Second 5K will be Sept. 19th, The Race for the Cure, Benefiting Breast Cancer Research

Still looking for an October and November race.

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    787. Aug 1, 2010 7:04 PM (in response to Lynae64)

Lynae64 - Oh man, I really feel for you!  I have Microscopic Colitis and when it kicks up I sure don't even feel like running.  You have victory in the fact that you keep trying.  See the doctor and relax.  You will do the running, just get your health back first.

Faith - What you ran was great.  And for you today, it was what was good for you.  Sometimes the body tells us what to do.  I know you will do so well on your finals and then you will blow W6 away.

Tony, Kim, and Kim - Rock On!!  Go, go, go!  You guys are awesome!

I know I said I would do W6D6 I the treadmill Saturday, but I just couldn't face the TM!  I have been doing exercises to combat some twinges in my knee I believe are runner's knee.  So out I head towards the park and get the bright idea to go a different way and start on the grass.  BAD IDEA!  Lumpy, rutted, uneven.  I get through that area and back onto pavement and after about 15 minutes my knee and quad are kicking up a storm so I walked home.  I didn't have my Mizuno Creations on because the felt tight after a warmup.  So....I told my husband I better break down and go to the running store and see if I'm wearing the right shoes or what.  Turns out I am, I am a neutral.  O.K. so that means my larger shoes (the ones I was running in are beached or something).  Which is possible.  So I came home and purchased a new pair of Mizuno's on ebay.  I guess until they get here I will chain myself to the TM, in the AC with the shoes that only get tight when I'm really hot.

The other thing is I had started about a month ago doing a shuffle step stride, somewhat like the running grandma's in the video trying to protect my knees.  Sometimes it seems too slow to my legs.  Maybe I should just run my regular, less than graceful gait.  Has anyone else played with their method of running?  I would love to hear your opinions.

Today I rested, tomorrow I will ride my bike and move on to W6 on Tuesday.

Where are all our missing friends?  The Micheles, Jason, MaggieMae, HELLO?  Where are you?

Hope you all have a wonderful week.

Melinda

Jun 16, 2010
    788. Aug 1, 2010 7:30 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

Thanks, Melinda...that is very encouraging. You do what you can do, too.

I'm still here...just busy, busy, busy...

And I can't wait until it cools down enough to where 8 am is not 'too late' to beat that sun coming up. I have a hard time falling asleep before midnight and I usually take something (Melatonin and Benadryl...more affectionately known as "Mel and Ben')...which helps me sleep, but makes it hard to wake up earlier than 6:30 (esp since I usually don't get to sleep till almost midnight), and then it takes at least a half hour of being a sleepy head to actually get up.

Anyway - I'm looking to run again on Tuesday morning...best wishes to everyone this week.

Completed - W3D3

• DCFree3 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010
    789. Aug 1, 2010 9:31 PM (in response to faithintx)

Hello All, Can I join this group?

I kind of started the C25k program by downloading it on my Itouch not realizing that there were sites with others doing the same thing to keep you movtivated this whole thing. I have completed W6D2 twice. That 25 min run is playing mind tricks on me.  I have already scheduled myself to do the Americas Finest 2010 on August 15th! Help! I am determined not to chicken out, especially since I already paid for it.  My goal is to finish even if there are periods where I have to walk. Right now I am playing it safe and just running at a snail slow speed (3.3 on the treadmil) to make sure that I run the amount of time that the program wants me too. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

• osca69 Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 1, 2010
    790. Aug 2, 2010 6:52 AM (in response to DCFree3)

DCFree - You are welcome to join us anytime.  I hate those mind tricks too.  Find a running partner to talk to as you run and then your mind is not thinking about 'how much further'.  You can do it.  Stay determined and committed to running that 5K!!!!!!

This past Saturday morning, I completed Week7, Day 3.  It was hot and it was a tough run, but I did  it.  I was running around the baseball field at a local community park.  There was a softball tournament about to begin, so I decided to hang around and cheer my local church team on.  I had just finished running and felt a little naucious (sp?)  I felt like I could throw up.  Felt much better after I sat down for a while.  I don't know if I should have eaten more before I ran or if I got too hot, or both.  I'm used to running at night and the morning runs are always harder on me.

I asked if anybody had blisters the other day.  I was talking to a running friend and they told me to put Preparation H on them if they weren't opened up.  Anybody else heard that?

I will run Week 8 Day 1 tonight.  Going up to 28 minutes.  I know it will be tough.  I usually have to pray during my run asking God to help me through it because I know that without Him I could not do anything.

Happy Monday and happy running.

KimM

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    791. Aug 2, 2010 7:18 AM (in response to osca69)

DCFree - Welcome!  The more the merrier   Hope to be hearing more from you soon.

KimM - I absolutely agree.  I pray before, a lot of times during, and after.  Michelle (who we haven't heard from in a while) turned me on to the song "Yes" by the Shekinah Gospel Ministry.  It's a wonderful worship song that is awesome to run to.  You can find a free mpeg of it if you google it.  It's one of those songs that takes your breath away because you feel Him.  Let me know what you think.

God bless your day.

Melinda

• c25kagain Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 29, 2010
    792. Aug 2, 2010 9:42 AM (in response to juju31)

Happy Monday!

I am still here!  I ran W7D3 for the second time on Saturday in a light drizzle of rain and it was so nice until my ipod died! I could not make myself run without my tunes - so I walked the rest of the way. Oh well.

This morning I tried to run W8D1 and I completed my 28 minutes but I did take a one minute walk break after the first mile.  That is starting to become a pattern for me and so I think I will 'run' (pun intended ) and do that until I get to 3.1 miles.  I woke up today at 4:45 to be able to get to the gym and get to work (showered no less!) by 7:30.  That would have NEVER happened 60 days ago so I do feel a sense of accomplishment today.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (W9) and it is BRIGHT!!!

Have a great day!

Tina

• AGC525 Pro 62 posts since
    Jun 27, 2010
    793. Aug 2, 2010 11:30 AM (in response to c25kagain)

DC - Welcome! I'm dealing with mid games, too at this point.

Melinda - I know, my sidwalks in my neighborhood are horribly uneven, it makes it fustrating.

Last night after work I decided to run instead of take a walk, and I ended up running a mile in 10:04. How, I have no idea. I went out today to do W7D1, and I just wasn't feeling it. Just kind of "blah" or something, lol. So I ran about a mile and a half, and walked for a bit. I'll probably try Wednesday morning. It seems a little discouraging, but some days your in the mood, some days your not. I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 12 pounds from my last weigh in on July 2nd. So, Julie, you can update my chart! I'm a pound away from my halfway goal, all together. So this is I guess a bit of a milestone. Everybody hang in there!

Tony

Tony

C25K graduate, future Ironman

PR:

City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K (38:07)

Upcoming Races:

Operation Troop Appriciation 5K 11/7

Run for the Wounded Warrior 5 Mile 11/13

YMCA 20th Annual Turkey Trot 5 Mile 11/25

Dick's Sporting Goods Half Marathon 5/15

PNC Pittsburgh Sprint Triathlon 7/31

• Lynae64 Pro 79 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    794. Aug 2, 2010 10:27 PM (in response to AGC525)

Melinda, thanks!!!!!

I was able to run 3.5 miles tonight with no potty breaks, well not quite I ran about 20 feet and had to stop and then started over, but after that I felt really good and just kept running and running, kinda like an energizer bunny.....lol. Hope everyone is doing well with their runs. Gotta run!

First 5K will be August 13th, The Catnip 5K benefiting the Cat Adoption Team in Sherwood Oregon

Second 5K will be Sept. 19th, The Race for the Cure, Benefiting Breast Cancer Research

Still looking for an October and November race.

1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 57 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...