Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

114659 Views 850 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 9:29 AM by edensacres RSS Go to original post 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 Previous Next
  • STEVEALBRECHT Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 18, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    795. Aug 2, 2010 10:31 PM (in response to Lynae64)
    Re: Starting c25k 6/14/2010

Ok, I have been a horrible running partner for all of you.......I am so sorry

I am on W7D2 and still going strong....I got to my weight goal, but now have become a little complacent with my energy.  I used to make sure and do something active everyday, but now I find myself making little excuses sometimes on why not to do something........

I am not liking this outlook I have

I am glas you are all doing so well, more power to you and GREAT JOB

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    796. Aug 3, 2010 10:00 AM (in response to STEVEALBRECHT)

Steve, Steve, Steve - Your momma says go do something!  Go play outside!!

Lynae64 - I am so glad you are feeling better and doing your energizer bunny imitation.

I headed for the TM for W6D1 and I just hate it.  Can't get my gait or stride right.  Then here comes the pain in my knee and calf area, it seems to travel.  Yuck!  I ended up going outside for my last 5 minute run.  Less pain there.  When I came inside I iced it for 5 minutes, then threw on Bengay after my shower.  Hasn't been too bad now.  I really think it's the shoes, because I felt like running after I got to work.  Hope they get here soon.  I think I'll ice it again tonight, maybe I'll run again tomorrow.

Has anyone used Self Myofacial Release?

Have a great day everyone and keep moving!

Melinda

• jpbgrad98 Pro 78 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    797. Aug 3, 2010 5:04 PM (in response to juju31)

Hello everyone... I'm back.  I apologize for my absence.  My problem has and always will be that I am very good at starting something and terrible at finishing it.  I have not run since my last post, well over 1.5+ weeks.  Not once.  I kept telling myself I need to and that I need to follow my own advice, but I just couldn't get the passion I had back.  I kept reading the posts (which are now few daily ) and I wanted to post, but I felt so ashamed that I couldn't live up to what I have been preaching on here...

Anyway, I am not even sure what week I am supposed to be on now, so today, I did the best I could... I walked for 5 minutes @ speed level 3, then jogged for 20 minutes @ speed level 5.  At this point I was exhausted (probably cause I haven't ran for almost 2 weeks), so I walked for another 2 minutes.  I put it up to speed level 5 again for 3:30 and then I was done.  All in all, I jogged for a total of 23:30 and walked 7.  Not exactly where I wanted to be at this point, but again, not bad for doing nothing for so long.

Not looking for any good jobs or atta boys here.  I just wanted to confess that I truly messed up, didn't hold myself accountable, gained more weight back, felt sorry for myself, yadda yadda yadda.  I hope that by the end of this week I will be able to do the full 28 minutes like week 8 prescribes, which is what week I think I am on, now that I look back.  I want to be able to graduate with all of you that haven't given up and that haven't quit.

Hope everyone else is doing well.  Even though I didn't post, I have been reading - sad to see that so many people stopped posting.

Happy Running - Jason

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • TappingMama Amateur 40 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    798. Aug 3, 2010 5:34 PM (in response to jpbgrad98)

Jason...so good to see you!!!  I know you didn't ask for any "good jobs" but really, you are doing great!  I'm so impressed that you got back into it after taking 1.5 weeks off.  I know it's hard!  I took a week off and it was tough getting back to running.  Keep at it...we are almost there!!!

Tony...awesome weight loss update!  You gotta be happy about that!!! 

I cannot believe how much a difference it made today when I ran at 6:15 p.m. instead of in the afternoon.  Wow!!!  I was able to run 37 minutes today...a full 3 miles.  I never thought I'd be able to do that.  So that was my W7D3.  I was feeling so good after 25 minutes that I just kept going.  I guess I'll just keep doing that for weeks 8 and 9.

I'm back to work...I have 17 students in my class this year!  That rocks!  So excited to meet them next week.  I love my job so much!

Have a great week, everyone!  I'm going to do W8D1 on Thursday.

*Kim*

Married to Rick (12-30-95)

Happy Mama to Ryan (12.5) and Raegan (9)

I love my pugs, too!  Max and Jack (3)

W8D3 Completed!

• jpbgrad98 Pro 78 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    799. Aug 3, 2010 6:04 PM (in response to TappingMama)

Kim:

Thanks for the welcome back.  I appreciate it...  GREAT JOB ON RUNNING A FULL 3 MILES!!!!!  That's what I'm talking about!  And, you did it in 37 minutes!  I am extremely proud and jealous of you.  LOL!

Great job to everyone that has come so far - and to everyone that has lost weight.  After C25k, I see there is something called 5k to 10k... maybe, if we all want, we can move into that phase together as well!!!!!

Happy Running - Jason

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • Lynae64 Pro 79 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    800. Aug 3, 2010 10:43 PM (in response to jpbgrad98)

Hi all!!! I would post more but I seem to be so busy right now. I should have worked out tonight, but I got home late and my hubby wanted to take me to sushi. He is not a big fan, so that is a big deal for him to sacrifice his dinner for me. BTW we had a delicious time. Anyway I have been so tired lately I decided to take the day off. I have been doing Jillian Michaels Shred DVD on my off day of running, it kills me though, she is one tuff lady. I have not lost any more weight and haven;t grabbed the measuring tape in a couple weeks. you would think with as many times as I visit the potty I would lose some weight....lol....wish it worked that way. I did pick up an inhaler which I will try before my run tomorrow and see if it helps with the breathing. I struggle so hard with the breathing at first. Once I have run for about 20 minutes I seem to be better and the breathing gets easier, I think if it wasn't for my lungs I would be hecka fast...lol... well not really but a girl can dream. I started taking some chinese herbs from the accupunturist which I think may be why I was able to run for 3.5 miles without having to stop for a visit with my friend Port'o'potty, we shall see what tomorrow brings.

Anyway everyone, I know it is tough but keep doing what you have been doing, I never thought that I would be able to run a mile without stopping let alone 2 or 3 or more. We can either keep going when things get tough or we can go sit on the choice and lament our lives. It doesn't matter whether you ever run a race, run really fast or even run a mile without stopping, what matters is that every day you do something that will make you healthier and happier. I am running a 5k in 2 weeks then I don't know if I will run one again, I like running for me, I like the way it makes me feel about myself and its fun. I hope it is that for you too, and if not that you find something else that is good for you, that you can enjoy as much as I do the torture (oops running) I put myself thru 3 or 4 times a week.

Hugs all and Happy running.

First 5K will be August 13th, The Catnip 5K benefiting the Cat Adoption Team in Sherwood Oregon

Second 5K will be Sept. 19th, The Race for the Cure, Benefiting Breast Cancer Research

Still looking for an October and November race.

• belakz Amateur 29 posts since
    Jan 23, 2009
    801. Aug 4, 2010 6:28 AM (in response to juju31)

Hi everyone.  Today was W7D2 and I made in the very hot and humid weather this morning.  The air was so thick it felt like you could cut it with a knife.  I am so pumped, I have now completed 3 - 25 minute runs.  It is great to know that if I train my body, I can ask more of it.  Keep running and Friday I will complete W7.

Kim

"That which does not kill me, makes be stronger"

Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888

C25K Finished 8/19/2010

MAYC 5k Aug 21, 2010 44:38 PR

• osca69 Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 1, 2010
    802. Aug 4, 2010 6:56 AM (in response to Lynae64)

We knew that there would be several people that would drop off of the program as it got harder and hotter.  Congrats to all who have persevered and seeing the goal to be accomplished in the near future.

Jason - Hang in there buddy.  Even though you took a week or so off, it sounds like you did great.  Just don't stop.

Kim - Three miles in 37 minutes.  YAY!!!!!  I have to run after the sun goes down or I am sucking wind.

Melinda - I listened to that song and I did love it.  Is that myofacial release a type of massage?

The other Kim,  Tony, Steve, Faith, Janna, Tina, Jason, and DCFree, lets keep it up and finish what we started.  Maybe some of the others who haven't posted are still running.

I will be doing W8, D2 tomorrow evening unless something frees up in my schedule tonight.

By the way, I signed up for a midnight 5K run on August 13th.  Mostly flat with a couple of small inclines. I'm not a night owl, but surely I can stay up for this one.  Hopefully it will go well.

Have a great day.

KimM

• AGC525 Pro 62 posts since
    Jun 27, 2010
    803. Aug 4, 2010 3:59 PM (in response to osca69)

Jason - Don't worry about it, your still here that all that matters. You have the right attiutude, the fact you felt embarressed lets your mind know something wasn't right. It's ok to take whatever time off you need, just as long as you stick with the program. I think we are a very special group here. Some may be doing better than others (I like to think I'm in the middle) but as long as we all help each other across that finish line, everything is all right.

I attempted W7D1 in the swealtering humid afternoon and it wasn't the best but weather was a huge factor, I actually felt nauseous a few times. I'm still having the hang up that once I get past about a mile or mile and a half I start struggling and have to stop for a few seconds. Other than that, no problems. I think it's drilled into my brain that this is where I usually should stop at. I just need to suck it up and just go till I finish or something serious says stop.

I just knocked out a foot long chicken barbeque on flatbread from Subway, if anyone hasn't had one yet, I highly recomend it.

Tony

C25K graduate, future Ironman

PR:

City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K (38:07)

Upcoming Races:

Operation Troop Appriciation 5K 11/7

Run for the Wounded Warrior 5 Mile 11/13

YMCA 20th Annual Turkey Trot 5 Mile 11/25

Dick's Sporting Goods Half Marathon 5/15

PNC Pittsburgh Sprint Triathlon 7/31

Jun 11, 2010
    804. Aug 4, 2010 6:19 PM (in response to osca69)

Hi everyone,

Hope you all ran well today.  My workout today consisted of some exercises for strength and stretching that supposedly are particularly helpful to my run, stride and body type.  There was a good stretch for the ITB that felt good and took some of my soreness away.  Maybe besides shoes I'm not stretching enough beforehand.  I am going to make a serious effort to do these exercises before every run.  Just takes extra time.....

I am itching to run tomorrow on schedule but my new shoes haven't shown up yet.  I guess I'll play it by ear when I get up in the morning.

KimM - I am so glad you liked the song!  Self Myofacial Release is kind of a self massage technique using a dense foam roller, kind of like one of those pool floats.  I talked to my nephew who is a sports therapist and he said they use it all the time, it works really well.  He said he has gotten good results personally.  So I asked him "I could just get one of those pool foam worms?"  And he said yes it would work.  Talk about cheap physical therapy!  Here's some of what the Wiki says "

Myofascial release is a form of soft tissue therapy used to treat somatic dysfunction and accompanying pain and restriction of motion. This is accomplished  by relaxing contracted muscles, increasing circulation, increasing  venous and lymphatic drainage, and stimulating the stretch reflex of muscles and overlying fascia.[1

and "Myofascial release is a form of soft tissue therapy used to treat somatic ... This allows the body's inherent ability for self correction to return,"

I like the thought of allowing the body's ability for self correction to return.  This clip from youtube show's what it's like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJLxruO3su0&feature=related.

Looks like it's worth a try.

I hope everyone stays well and moving.

Melinda

• Lynae64 Pro 79 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    805. Aug 4, 2010 8:31 PM (in response to AGC525)

Tony, I seem to be just the opposite, the first mile or so is the toughest and then I love it, the groove sets in and I could just keep going and going. Maybe I should run backwards.

All, I was suppose to run tonight but it just wasn't clicking, wrong socks wrong shorts, no compression shorts on, wrong shirt. just hot and uncomfortable, so I went about 1 mile and then said screw it I will go home work out and run again tomorrow night or friday. Some days it just isn't going to happen I guess. Anyway I did see a man out running tonight, it appeared that he was maybe doing the C25K, yippie another recruit. Okay all keep running I am off to sweat with Jillian and try this running stuff again tomorrow.

First 5K will be August 13th, The Catnip 5K benefiting the Cat Adoption Team in Sherwood Oregon

Second 5K will be Sept. 19th, The Race for the Cure, Benefiting Breast Cancer Research

Still looking for an October and November race.

Jun 11, 2010
    806. Aug 5, 2010 6:21 PM (in response to Lynae64)

Hi runners!

Don't know why everyone is so quiet lately.....I hope you are all out running

Well I got up this morning, did my strength exercises and my stretches and felt great.  So even though my new shoes weren't here I went for a run.  There was pain at first and then BAM!  I got my breathing settled got into pace and completed W6D1.  Hoorah!  The pain got less and less as I ran.  Slower than usual, but I'll take it.  Got to work today, and sitting on my desk were my new shoes.  So I'm set for W6D2 on Saturday.  Maybe even D3.  We'll see.

Hope all my silent running partners are doing well.

Melinda

• faithintx Legend 250 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    807. Aug 5, 2010 8:39 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

Hey guys - I'm still here. It's been finals week and really, really busy. Plus, my birthday was Wednesday and was surprisingly great. I'm new in town and still trying to find the right niche, but some of the people I've met along the way made it really special for me, from Tuesday night through till tonight. A good friend of mine just got stationed at one of the plethora of military bases around me...he works on jets....so Tony, that's my "in" to the Blue Angels in the spring! Booyah.... He's renting a boat for us for the weekend, and I have one more final on Monday. Then I will be going back up to Ohio (14 hours each way) to get my last bit of stuff out of storage,quick family visit in Dayton, quick friends visit in Columbus, turn right around and come back down here...and have company for 3 days, then school starts up for the fall. Dang....I wish I had an extra week off!

So....it has been both crazy and stressfull, and wonderful and much-needed fun...all rolled into one. But, my running has been put off for a few days. But I'm ok with that. I'm learning not to beat myself up over it. I just wish it wasn't so hot to make it necessary to get up so early! I'm really wanting to get back on a running schedule. I like a structured schedule!!!!

I am shooting for W6D2 tomorrow. Hoping to go all the way but uneasy due to the time off.

Jason - glad to see ya, bro. You can do all things.....

Completed - W3D3

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.....either way, you're right.

Do what is unnatural, until it becomes natural.

Medical fact - if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

• c25kagain Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 29, 2010
    808. Aug 6, 2010 10:59 AM (in response to juju31)

Hi there -

Jason and Steve - I can relate!!

It has been so difficult staying on this effort.  I am not missing a workout (every other day) but they are suffering due to my attitude.  The good news is that I have not quit - which is what I always do.  Jason, you and I are alike in that way.  The bad news is that even though I know that I can run 24 minutes straight (because I have done it before) but my body (or more like my mind) will not let me do it lately!

Today I was back at the gym on the treadmill. I warmed up for 5 min. Ran (4.3MPH ) for 1 mile then walked for 1 minute then ran another mile. The 'running' section was 28 minutes but I still do not feel very proud of myself.

I am not going to quit but I will continue to modify runs until my head is more in the game.

Tina

• belakz Amateur 29 posts since
    Jan 23, 2009
    809. Aug 6, 2010 1:46 PM (in response to juju31)

It was a great morning to run today!!!  The weather was cool and crisp, yesterday I had my chiropractor adjustment, and I ended my run today with "I'm walkin' on Sunshine".

I completed W7D3 and it was the best run I have had, it felt easy and the pace was faster.  I am looking forward to W8!!!

Everyone keep with the program and I agree when life gets in the way...modify!  Hopefully everyone will be able to work a run in this weekend.

Have a good one!

Kim

"That which does not kill me, makes be stronger"

Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888

C25K Finished 8/19/2010

MAYC 5k Aug 21, 2010 44:38 PR

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...