Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

118468 Views 850 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 9:29 AM by edensacres Go to original post 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 Previous Next
  • TappingMama Amateur 40 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    810. Aug 7, 2010 4:17 PM (in response to belakz)
    Re: Starting c25k 6/14/2010

Hi Everyone!  My week back at work went well.  I was so exhausted by yesterday, though.  Anyway, I went running today...W8D1...I ran the first 1.7 miles in 18 minutes then I slowed way down and ran the rest in about another 17 minutes.  My knees starting hurting right before I got to three miles so I stopped and walked fast the rest of the way.  So I ended up running about 35 minutes and then walked.  I was quite pleased with that.  My clothes are FINALLY starting to fit again.  I seemed to have gone down a size although I've only lost 8.5 of the 15 pounds that I want to lose.

I'm going to keep plugging along until I can say that I completed the program.  I anticipate running about how I did today each time I go out.  I can't believe I can run 35-40 minutes now...this program really is great at building up stamina.

Hope you are all doing great...I miss reading about everyone's progress.  Have a great weekend!

*Kim*

Married to Rick (12-30-95)

Happy Mama to Ryan (12.5) and Raegan (9)

I love my pugs, too!  Max and Jack (3)

W8D3 Completed!

• faithintx Legend 250 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    811. Aug 7, 2010 4:41 PM (in response to TappingMama)

Hi - just checking in.

Major insomnia battles the last couple of days really hurt me. I ended up being too groggy to get up in time to run. Today I spent the day out on a boat that a friend of mine took me out on for my bday. It was a blast! There were dolphins playing near our wake and that was quite amazing. We did hit a sandbar at low tide and it threw me out of my seat into the front of the boat. Scraped my arm but ok other than that.

My goal is to do W6D2 tomorrow morning. My friend wants to run with me, but I said no. He's quite a bit younger than me, a Marine, and can do a 5K in less than 18 minutes. Some things are just left for a girl to do by herself. I guess I had more pride than I thought! hahahaha. But he is going to enter my 5K with me...but not to run it WITH me. I told him to be waiting at the finish line for me with a cold drink!

I haven't given up...but I really, REALLY need to get back into a routine...and it won't happen next week, I'm afraid.

Is anybody listening?

Completed - W3D3

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.....either way, you're right.

Do what is unnatural, until it becomes natural.

Medical fact - if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    812. Aug 7, 2010 7:52 PM (in response to faithintx)

I'm listening Faith !

I know how that education stuff can throw you out of whack.  I have a recertification test on Tuesday I have been studying for for 4 months.  Actually, they retired my cert and are letting me take the upgraded cert test.  Yeah, they sent me 6 books!

Anyway, finally ran in my new shoes today, what a difference.  Still having some issues with a tight ITB and warding off runners knee but.......I find I am having no breathing or cardio issues.  Wowee!  Who would have thought.  I finished W6D2 adding a couple of minutes to the second 10 because my phone app froze.  My pace is a little slower (15mm) but since I'm working through some pain issues I won't complain.  Hope to do D3 on Tuesday.

I can understand why you don't want your friend running with you.......my nephew is supposed to run a 5k with me.  I hope he can run this slow!

I don't know where everybody is.....I hope they're still running......

Melinda

• AGC525 Pro 62 posts since
    Jun 27, 2010
    813. Aug 7, 2010 10:29 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

Faith - Happy birthday!! Sounds like you had fun! Hey, if he has a sister, let me know, haha..that's pretty cool. When I was through Columbus a few weeks ago they had lots of construction on I-70...so heads up! Have fun and travel safe.

I've been slow (lazy) the last few days, plus I picked up some overnight shifts this weekend, so I'm going to attempt W7D2 on Monday. Friday I had thought about it, and I got to my struggling point of a little over a mile, and walked it out for a few seconds, then I slowed my pace and did a lot better. I think besides my head games, since I've switched from the military cadences to music, I've been running faster, lol. I felt a lot better when I managed to slow myself down. from there I'm doing like a 14 minute mile, but as long as I can do it, I'll take it. Something else popped up...I got about 2 miles in and started to get some serious chaffing on the inside of my one thigh..enough to where it hurt that I had to stop..and still bothers me. That's the first time I had anything like that, but I feel good now about D2 on Monday.

Tony

C25K graduate, future Ironman

PR:

City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K (38:07)

Upcoming Races:

Operation Troop Appriciation 5K 11/7

Run for the Wounded Warrior 5 Mile 11/13

YMCA 20th Annual Turkey Trot 5 Mile 11/25

Dick's Sporting Goods Half Marathon 5/15

PNC Pittsburgh Sprint Triathlon 7/31

Jun 14, 2010
    814. Aug 8, 2010 7:24 AM (in response to AGC525)

Good to see you, Faith, Melinda, and Tony!!!  I am definitely listening, Faith!  I was so excited to see some posts!

I know how you are feeling Faith...I am super worried that once my REAL schedule kicks in this week, it will be VERY hard for me to get out there to run.  This week my daughter's dance schedule begins and it's intense.  She dances 10+ hours a week...M, T, W, R, and Saturday.  It's going to be tough working until 4:00, getting home, going to her classes, etc, and fitting in running.  That's not even including when my son's schedule begins.  He's trying out for the JV golf team this week and we are pretty sure he will make the team.  That will mean I will need to factor in all of his tournaments, too.  UGH...it stresses me out thinking about it.  Thank goodness my parents help me out so much.  I just hope that I can squeeze in two runs during the week and one on the weekend.  I would be so happy if I could get that accomplished.

*Kim*

W8D3 Completed!

• AngelSmitty Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    815. Aug 8, 2010 11:26 AM (in response to TappingMama)

Hey Everyone,

Sorry I've been so MIA.  I shamefully admit that I haven't jogged since early July and just promised myself that I am going to get back into it.  I'm having a conversation with my husband tonight about how I need him to help me do this, because when he jogged with me I NEVER missed a day.  I know I shouldn't depend on him to keep me going, but when he was jogging with me, I was actually the one who was like, "we NEED to do this."  Since I've stopped jogging, I've felt more exhausted, haven't been sleeping as well and my overall health has just been blah.  Nothing serious, but constant headaches, not staying as hydrated as I should, and not eating properly.  I didn't gain any weight back, but I feel like my stomach looks more jiggly than it did (which could totally be a mental thing lol).  Anyway, just checking in with you guys.  I had finished W4 but now I think I'll need to go back and do one or two days of W3 and a day of W4 or something before moving on.  Before I had taken a week off between W4D2 and W4D3 and it was BRUTAL so I can only imagine how difficult this will be.  It's fine though, I deserve to be punished for punking out LOL.  I'm so glad to read and see how some of you have been jogging right along.  I look up to you guys a lot!  I WILL finish the C25K, it's a goal I need to accomplish for myself.  I may stumble and fall behind once in awhile, so bear with me and please don't judge me for it, but I am fully confident that I will finish the C25k before the end of Sept.

• belakz Amateur 29 posts since
    Jan 23, 2009
    816. Aug 9, 2010 6:39 AM (in response to juju31)

Hi Everyone, Glad to see those that have been away reporting in again.  Angel – I hope your husband will join you again and keep moving!!!  No judging here, you can do it!!! I understand the commitments, jobs, and family can get in our way.  It helps for me to remember how far I have come and how it makes me feel.  One day last week I did not want to get up at 5am, but I thought about how it would make me feel if I missed and got out of bed!!!  I read at tip to wear your workout clothes to bed…not sure that would be so comfortable.  I might consider it though…lol!!! Did W8D1 on Saturday, wow I moved faster and easier.  It felt great and was a great reminder of just how far I have come.  Today I did Jillian’s 30 Day Shred, it went quickly and very sweaty – felt great!!!  August 21st is the 5k I signed up for and I am looking forward to running this one.  This will be my first 5k that I will have ran in ever, can’t wait!!!

Kim

"That which does not kill me, makes be stronger"

Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888

C25K Finished 8/19/2010

MAYC 5k Aug 21, 2010 44:38 PR

• AngelSmitty Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    817. Aug 9, 2010 8:02 AM (in response to belakz)

Belakz-thanks for the support!  It stinks knowing I would be finishing the C25K this week if I hadn't slacked off, but at least I'm doing it again!  Way to go on already doing W8!!  You will do awesome at the 5K!

My husband said he'd jog with me this morning, but when the alarm went off at 6:15, it was POURING out.  If it's sprinkling then we don't mind running, but a down pour was a little much.  I laid in bed until 7:15  and when I got up, I saw that it had stopped raining so hard.  I threw on sweatpants and a tshirt and as my husband left to take our dogs to their doggy daycare, I went out for a quick 15 minute (all I had time for before work) walk/jog.  I jogged 90 seconds consecutively each time, and although it wasn't easy, it was still manageable.  Definitely shouldn't have taken any time off, but at least I didn't go back to square one (when I couldn't jog a minute straight).  Last night I did 16 minutes (4 miles) at resistance level 7 on my mom's stationary bike, which definitely had me breathing heavy.  Tonight I'm going to my husband's adult hip hop class, and tomorrow I'm doing Zumba.  I already feel such a difference in my energy level.  The last few weeks I have felt so run down, and I feel SO MUCH better, just having done something last night and this morning!   This is the motivation I needed to get my butt in gear

• osca69 Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 1, 2010
    818. Aug 10, 2010 7:43 AM (in response to AngelSmitty)

Hi everyone,

I'm still here.  Just didn't post any over the weekend.  I started week 9 last night.  I did walk for about 20 yards when I got about 20 minutes into it.  It was tough last night.  To those of you who are doing other workouts in addition to this, good for you.  I would love to do zumba but I don't have time to fit anything else into my schedule.  Good luck to everyone running this week.  KEEP IT UP...YOU CAN DO IT.

KimM

Jun 14, 2010
    819. Aug 10, 2010 1:44 PM (in response to osca69)

Hi everyone,

I completed W8D2 yesterday.  My husband went out with me for the first time.  Well, he exercises/runs/P90X all the time, but that was the first time that we have ever run together.  He walked super fast while I ran.  LOL  He runs 7-8 minute miles so I was dragging next to him.,  It was okay, though.  He didn't mind and it was fun.  I had to stop running after about 25 minutes, though, and walk with him.  I think it was harder for me because I was talking.  It was messing up my breathing.  We went 3.4 miles.  I was sort of disappointed that I ran less than last time, but at least I got out there and 25 minutes wasn't that bad.

Tomorrow is the first day of school.  I met all of my students today so that was fun.  I'm hoping to do W8D3 tomorrow evening.  Have a great week!

*Kim*

W8D3 Completed!

• belakz Amateur 29 posts since
    Jan 23, 2009
    820. Aug 10, 2010 2:23 PM (in response to juju31)

Hi everyone,

I did W8D2 this morning.  It was great.  I did a different route that has a slight incline for the last 5 minutes of the run.  I slowed my pace, but I made it.  I need to challenge myself at different times of the run, because I may have something similar in the 5k's.  It was so hot and humid at 5:15am, so glad I did it early.  One week left and I think I will set a goal to do a 10k next year.  I have been researching some training schedules for the next phase.

Good luck and have fun running!!!

Kim

"That which does not kill me, makes be stronger"

Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888

C25K Finished 8/19/2010

MAYC 5k Aug 21, 2010 44:38 PR

• DCFree3 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010
    821. Aug 11, 2010 10:36 PM (in response to belakz)

Hi everyone just checking in... I am getting super nervous...My first 5K is this Sunday morning! And guess what found out that I think I have made a grave error... I have been training on the treadmill with a really really slight incline... now I am going to be running outside on Sunday...I have read it could be a very different feel...I am just going to suck it up and do the best I can at this point...I won't make this mistake again...signed bundle of nerves

• Lynae64 Pro 79 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    822. Aug 11, 2010 11:26 PM (in response to belakz)

Hi everyone!!! Glad to see we keep running even if we don't post as much. I ran 4 miles tonight, about 1 hour, and only had to stop to visit POP (port'o'potty) twice! I have my first 5k on Friday and think that I am going to take some Imodium before hand. Being just a 5k I do not think that there are going to be any POPs along the way and I am in serious need after about 1 mile. Nothing seems to help so am hoping that the imodium will. So irritating because beyond the need to visit POP my runs are really enjoyable. I have been doing my runs and working out with Jillian everyday (although I skipped today, 4 miles wiped me out) and not losing a pound just a tad irritating. YOu would think with as much exercise I am getting and as many POP stops I make I would be losing weight....lol..apparently it doesn;t work that way. Oh well, I feel good about what I am doing so that is what counts right?

Happy running all and I will let you know how the 5K goes on Friday

Lyn

First 5K will be August 13th, The Catnip 5K benefiting the Cat Adoption Team in Sherwood Oregon

Second 5K will be Sept. 19th, The Race for the Cure, Benefiting Breast Cancer Research

Still looking for an October and November race.

• AGC525 Pro 62 posts since
    Jun 27, 2010
    823. Aug 13, 2010 4:08 AM (in response to Lynae64)

Hey folks!

After floundering around for about a week, I seen an article that was posted on active.com's facebook page. Since I was struggling with the longer runs, this kind of apealed to me. I guess it's a bit of a set back, since I should be running 25 and 28 minutes by now, but here is the plan:

Week 1 - 1.5, 1.5, 2 miles

Week 2 - 2, 2, 2.5 miles

Week 3 - 2, 2.5, 3 miles

Week 4 - 2.5, 2.5, 3 miles

Week 5 - 2.5, 2, 3.1 miles

I went out determined yesterday dispite scattered rain showers. I know I can run a mile, so how in the world can I not knock out 2 more laps to get to the 1.5 mark??? Things went well, and when I got to the point where I felt like I had struggled in the past, I pushed on. When I felt like I was getting a little winded, I just slowed my pace down (even more, lol) and things were ok. Besides a torrential down pour about halfway through (LOL), I completed it in just under 20 minutes, which keeps me on my usual pace of 13.3 minute/mi. I realized that if I just stick it out, things are ok, and even though it was kind of tough, it was bearable and it was just a matter of continuing running. When I finished,  I was definately beat, but wasn't exhausted. It was a HUGE moral booster. I don't want to say I'm abandoning the C25K plan, but I think for what I'm dealing with at this part of the program, the above regimen suits me well. Luckily I still have a lot of time till my first race at the end of September. If anyone else is having trouble, maybe this plan will help. Here is a link to the article -

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Your-3-Step-Plan-to-Run-a-5K.htm?cmp=18-194&utm_source=sendible&utm_medium=feed

Tony

Tony

C25K graduate, future Ironman

PR:

City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K (38:07)

Upcoming Races:

Operation Troop Appriciation 5K 11/7

Run for the Wounded Warrior 5 Mile 11/13

YMCA 20th Annual Turkey Trot 5 Mile 11/25

Dick's Sporting Goods Half Marathon 5/15

PNC Pittsburgh Sprint Triathlon 7/31

• osca69 Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 1, 2010
    824. Aug 14, 2010 3:44 PM (in response to AGC525)

Hi All,

I graduated!!!!  Last night was my Week 9, Day 3 and I did a 5K at Midnight at a nearby town.  My time was 37:28.  Lots of little inclines, but at the end, a big downhill that gave me a chance to do some catching up with my time.  I walked some in mile 2.  It's hard not to when others around you start walking.  There was 843 runners there.  Gonna keep running.  Have a good weekend.

KimM

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...