Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

114681 Views 850 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 9:29 AM by edensacres RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 57 Previous Next
  • nosirrahm Expert 92 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Jun 17, 2010 4:47 PM (in response to AlteredMentation)
    Re: Starting c25k 6/14/2010

I actually am running on the street.  I need all the encouragement that I can get and running on the treadmill is not going to get it for me at the moment.  I live in AZ so it is in the 100's, so I hit the streets btn 5-5:30am.  Bright stinking sunshine at 5am, but better than the evening.  I will see how it goes because in August it can be 100 overnight too - I will have to re-evaluate the treadmill at that time.

I tried running on the tread in my last attempt to complete C25K and I found myself very hot because the air wasn't blowing by my face.  I wasn't doing any world class pace, but it was stuffy.  Then, I had to blow to see how fast (or slow as the case may be) I was really going.  I really just want to get out and run because I am enjoying myself.  I have time to challenge speed and all that other stuff later.  That is when I will join the running club at my gym too.  My gift to myself - gain running buddies and a training program - when I complete the 9 weeks.

Michele

Started C25K on 6/17/10 

W4: Completed 7/13/10

Garmin: nosirrahm

• TappingMama Amateur 40 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    91. Jun 17, 2010 4:56 PM (in response to juju31)

This group is awesome!  I, too, think about all of you and wonder how everyone is doing.  What a great support we have here!

I took today off since I did W1D2 yesterday.  I am sooo looking forward to getting out there tomorrow morning.  I wish I had a treadmill so I could do it at night, too.  I can't go out here after dark because we have bears and other scary critters.  The last thing I need is to run into a mama bear!

Anyway, I'm so impressed with how well everyone is doing and how positive everyone is staying.

Oh, to answer the question about how I warm up other than the brisk 5-minute walk...I usually do some stretches that stretch out my calf muscles and thigh muscles.  That seems to help me a lot.  I do that for a few minutes.

I'll check in tomorrow after W1D3 is checked off!  Have a great night!

*Kim*

Married to Rick (12-30-95)

Happy Mama to Ryan (12.5) and Raegan (9)

I love my pugs, too!  Max and Jack (3)

W8D3 Completed!

• Surfboy01 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 17, 2010
    92. Jun 17, 2010 5:09 PM (in response to juju31)

Can I also please join the group? 

Reading all the posts make me want to go out and start the program asap.

As for me it is embarrassing to say I used to be a lifeguard on the beach and when I stopped added and extra 40 lbs.

Hoping to lose some lbs by Labor Day.

Off to start it now!

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    93. Jun 17, 2010 6:52 PM (in response to Surfboy01)

SurfBoy01 - Welcome!  Good luck on your W1D1.

JPBgrad98 - Jason I hope I got that right Right now I run the treadmill, but I'd really like to run outside.  My main  hang up is the statistics.  I just downloaded a program called Footnotes I hope to try out W2 outside.  As for warmup, I have 4 dogs I walk every morning for about 25 minutes or 3/4 mile.  When we get home I will stretch calves, hamstrings, quads, and I will move and stretch my ankles and feet because I have some arthritis.  After I do my run I do a few yoga forward bends, then a pose where I squat down with tailbone towards the floor, hands in prayer pose, elbows at inside of knees applying slight outward pressure.  This is good for stretching and flexing hips.   A lot of people don't realize that your hips can be stress collectors.  From this pose I put my hands on the floor, bend my torso forward and straighten my legs to end in a forward bend.  I don't know if this is what you are supposed to do, but I've had very few tight sore muscles.

Scarpella - I found an app, haven't tried it yet but it supposedly shows time, pace and distance.  As I said above it's called Footnotes and they give you a free 30 day trial.  I'll report back after I give it a try.

Tomorrow is W1D3 and I'm exciting.  This group is so great, so inspiring.  Thank you all and may your next run leave you exhilarated!!

• faithintx Legend 250 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    94. Jun 17, 2010 7:08 PM (in response to jpbgrad98)

Hey Jason...I do the warm-up circuit on a Jillian Michaels cardio DVD. It has 2 reps of 4 moves...2 of them are upper/core and 2 of them are legs  but it includes toe touches and running in place. Gets the body warm and heart rate up. It's stinking hot down here (Hilton Head area) so it's nice to do it inside, to be honest with you. It is about an 8 minute warm-up, then I do walk for about 90 secs before I hit the first running interval outside. A runner friend says you should never stretch while you are cold, and the warm up interval works great for when I do the DVD. I tried the brisk walk, but I feel much looser and ready to roll when I do it Jillian's way. lol

Completed - W3D3

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.....either way, you're right.

Do what is unnatural, until it becomes natural.

Medical fact - if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

• 2RunAgain Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    95. Jun 17, 2010 7:21 PM (in response to juju31)

hi everyone! just checking in after my W1D2 workout. it was hard today but i made it through. i thought about juju31 and the group's encouragement as i was lacing up my running shoes tonight because i def had a hard time getting it done today. i think this group is really working and i'm so appreciative of you guys. to answer a couple of the questions y'all have asked the group, i run on a treadmill and i live in alexandria, VA. i actually prefer the treadmill because i like to see 1) how far i've gone and 2) the calories i've burned. also jason, i don't usually stretch and i didn't for W1D1 but i think that was a mistake because my legs were really tight the next day. so tonight i stretched before and after the run to see if that would make a difference. we'll see... i've never been a stretcher but as i get older i am starting to see how important it is to keep your muscles as flexible as possible. the last time i was in shape i never stretched before or after running and my legs were always sooooo tight until they loosened up some during the run. not a very good look. LOL so anyway, i'm planning to go the stretching route this time around.

hi, juju31. how are you doing? hope the running is going OK. hi to you, too, tappingmama. where you at, BigVADad? we can all do this! i'll check in again after W1D3. good luck, group, and keep running!

Jun 14, 2010
    96. Jun 17, 2010 7:26 PM (in response to Surfboy01)

welcome, surfboy01. happy to have you in our group. good luck with your first workout!

Jun 16, 2010
    97. Jun 17, 2010 7:42 PM (in response to 2RunAgain)

Hey 2runagain...a more accurate way to see how many calories you burn is to get a heart rate monitor (unless your treadmill allows you to enter your height, weight, age, etc, and you wear a monitor the whole time your run). There are lots of them out there, but the one I use is the Polar F6. It comes with a chest strap that transmits your heart rate to a watch with a digital display that helps you keep in your training zone. You set it up with your personal info and it tells you how many calories you are burning, and also helps you stay in your training zone. Especially in the heat we are running in! It is well worth the $80 or so that I paid for it. There are better, more expensive ones, but this one fit the bill for me - and it was pink. LOL!

Completed - W3D3

• RobRunsIndy Amateur 22 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    98. Jun 17, 2010 7:43 PM (in response to juju31)

Just wanted to say howdy, great job everyone, and welcome to everybody who has stumbled in to this awesome group.

I'm excited to start week two over the weekend and looking forward to sneaking in glimpses of the U.S. World Cup game online

while I'm at work tomorrow.

To answer the question from a few posts back, I live in Zionsville, Indiana, right outside of Indianapolis.

Anybody here using the cool route/circuit mapping tool on Cool Running / Active.com?

It's awesome.

Have a great evening everyone and keep those posts coming...I read every one of them and you're such an inspiring bunch!

Ciao.

Rob

• nosirrahm Expert 92 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    99. Jun 17, 2010 8:16 PM (in response to nosirrahm)

Hey All,

There is a great product - RoadID - that I think is great whether you are running around outside/inside in a gym.  Check them out!  www,roadid.com.  I don't like carrying anything in my hands or forgetting my ID so this is a great way to give someone info about you when you are incapacitated.  I have the interactive model since I can add information about 2 cats at home, my daughter, etc. You can even update it to say where you are staying if you are on vacation or staying with family.  I have the shoe model so it is always on my running sneakers.  I am going to get a wrist version... just to wear around.  What better way to let first responders and hospital staff contact your family/friends.

Be safe!

Michele

Started C25K on 6/17/10 

W4: Completed 7/13/10

Garmin: nosirrahm

Jun 14, 2010
    100. Jun 17, 2010 8:37 PM (in response to faithintx)

thanks FaithinSC!!! i can plug my weight into my treadmill but that's it. so you think i'm deluding myself into thinking that i'm burning more calories than i really am? that's probably true. LOL. i want to lose weight, too, so getting the calorie count right is important but right now i'm really focused on making sure i get these workouts in and stick to the c25k schedule. when i get REALLY serious maybe i'll invest in that cute little gizmo you recommended. thank you!! thanks to the group's other gizmo and website suggestions, too. i appreciate it all. good night, group. talk with you again after my W1D3 workout!!

• drainey73 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 14, 2008
    101. Jun 17, 2010 8:44 PM (in response to juju31)

Hey everybody, It has been a hectic week with Dr's appointment,physical therapy, and taking my 5 yr old daughter speech therapy in St.Louis. Anyways I was able to complete W1D2 this evening and I feel great for doing it. Although my runs are more like a fast walk/very slow jog I will not worry about speed until after I complete the program. I just want to be able to complete a 5k running the entire distance on Sept.11. By the way, does anybody else already have a 5k that they plan on entering? I am from southern IL in West Frankfort IL

Jun 16, 2010
    102. Jun 17, 2010 10:40 PM (in response to 2RunAgain)

2RunAgain...I'm on my W1D3 also...planning on doing it early Friday morning. Can't wait to hear how yours went! Good success to you!

Completed - W3D3

• Scjohnson Pro 89 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010
    103. Jun 18, 2010 5:47 AM (in response to juju31)

Managed to roll out of bed this morning around 5AM and finsh W2D3.  I woke up with a big cric in my neck so that didn't help;  I managed to finish, and I notice that my recovery time after the jog session is MUCH faster now than it used to be, I usual catch my breath within 30 seconds or so after the 90 second jog so I'm not getting as NEARLY out of breath as I was on W2D1(I thought I would die) so I guess the program is working like it should!

Just like before I'm nervious/excited about starting a new week!  I'm eager to jump on it to see if I can do it, but I'm also a bit scared to start, anyone else ever get that feeling?

I've got at least 4 weeks before my "Deadline" and the physical fitness test, and my weight is steadly going down (SLOWLY) so... The hardest part with my personalty is not jump in to hard and hurt myself, or burn out.

Ever notice how slow your weight goes DOWN, but one good sitting at Taco Bell at night and my weight can be UP 3 lbs in a day?

/sigh.

Nike+: scjohnson243

C25k Started - 6/7

_____

Zoo Zoom 5k- 8/28/10 :  44:41

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    104. Jun 18, 2010 5:50 AM (in response to faithintx)

Hi gang,

FaithInSc - Finished W1D3 early this morning.  I was a little sluggy - long week, and I had a good friend pass away on Wednesday.  But I made it all the way to the end.  I hope yours went well also.  Has anyone purchased the C25K program?  I just wondered what it's features are, and what you guys think of it.

Hope you all have a wonderful, blessed day.   Melinda

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 57 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...