Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5510 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2010 9:38 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
Johnny Webb Amateur 26 posts since
Feb 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 14, 2010 11:27 AM

Big blisters on inside of instep, WHY?

I've had blisters on my feet before, but never on the soft tissue on the inside of my instep. I had a 9-mile run this weekend and it resulted in blisters on both feet. I overpronate somewhat but have some good (and expensive) running shoes (ASICS GEL-KANYANO 16) that deals with that. What causes these blisters? And, what's the best way to get them healed? Any advice is appreciated.

PR - 5K = 27:45

PR - 4M = 38:50

PR - 10K = 58:30

PR - Half Marathon = 2:01:05

PR - Marathon = 5:22:32

• hlwilliams17 Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    1. Jun 14, 2010 11:51 AM (in response to Johnny Webb)
    Re: Big blisters on inside of instep, WHY?

Have you been using the Kayanos for a while?  Is this the first time you've gone this far in them?  Yes, those are good shoes, but they are very sturdy and heavy and for moderate to severe overpronators rather than someone who "overpronates somewhat".  They might be too much shoe for you and your level of pronation.  Were you recommended those shoes after an analysis by a trained person?  Did you ask WHY they recommended such a... sturdy shoe?  If they can't explain to you why you need that much of a shoe other than some lame "well you overpronate somewhat", chances are they are not qualified enough to be recommending shoes!

Chances are, you are pinching the skin of your foot between the shoeliner and shoe or the way you push off causes your foot to get pinched against the shoe.  There are ways you can lace shoes that will lessen the pinching.  If you are very, very sure that these are the right shoes for you no matter what, then stick with them.  But I say if the shoes are new, take them back to the store.  If they are not new, then go back to the store and see if someone can help with a lacing technique.  But next time, you might want to try a different shoe.

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    3. Jun 14, 2010 5:54 PM (in response to Johnny Webb)

I personally only use Smart Wool socks. They are great for preventing blisters and wick incredibly well. You can also try KY jelly, apply a small amount to the areas that rub. As you sweat the KY actually activates and prevents friction. You might also want to change the lace arrangement on your shoes to minimize pressure in the blistered area.

Personal Trainer Los Angeles - Burbank

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,270 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Jun 14, 2010 6:11 PM (in response to Johnny Webb)

I've known several people who had problems with the edges of the insoles causing blisters on Asics shoes.  A little very careful trimming of the insole in the area where you have the problem may cure it.

Len

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,270 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Jun 15, 2010 12:07 PM (in response to Johnny Webb)

Yes, but of course you don't want to put moleskin on unhealed blisters.  I have also applied moleskin to the inside of my shoes when I was sure of the spot causing the problem - a seam or whatever.

Len

Len

• lmerullo Amateur 25 posts since
    Aug 16, 2009
    7. Jun 15, 2010 5:52 PM (in response to Johnny Webb)

The same thing happened to me when it became warmer... sweating skin rubbing against the inside of my socks was my cause. I also determined that the shoes were not laced tightly enough and my feet were literally sloshing around in the shoes. If you have been wearing the shoes for some time, perhaps the insole has compressed and should be replaced. Or, just tighten the laces so you are fitting in the shoes more snugly, would be my recommendations.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,127 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    10. Jul 8, 2010 9:38 AM (in response to Johnny Webb)

You go Johnny Webb!  I know a guy in his 80s who still runs Boston, so what's holding us back?

November Marathon...  You'll be glad you and the Med Tent Crew tackled this problem early... You'll be doubling that mileage soon enough.

One thing I've done in recent years is wear one particular set of broken-in heavy trainers for long runs only. I stick with what works for LD training and competition, and use those shoes only for those tasks. I experiment with other shoes on shorter runs only. You'll be able to graduate the best-feeling set to LD later after you have gotten used to them.

Good luck JW!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...