Skip navigation

3014 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2010 5:38 PM by yankeepeach RSS
amayou Rookie 5 posts since
Jul 28, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 17, 2010 12:34 PM

Peachtree Road Race 2010, Atlanta GA

Hi, I'm running the Peachtree Road race for the first time this year and just wanted to knwo if anyone else here is running it.

For more information on the race, it's held in Atlanta GA, it's a 10K, and I beleive the largest 10K in America.

I hear the average time for it is 75 minutes but I'm hoping to be closer to 60-65 minutes.

I've run the US 10K Classic twice and was bored with it so I signed up for this one. If anyone has run the US 10K classic and the peachtree road race I'd liek to know how they compare. Thanks in advance

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    1. Jun 17, 2010 2:12 PM (in response to amayou)
    Re: Peachtree Road Race 2010, Atlanta GA

I've run the PTRR several times but I'm not running it this year.  Last year I just didn't enjoy it - the first time EVER in any race that I didn't have a great time!  I figure I need to take a break from Peachtree madness.

I have never done the 10K Classic (that is the one on Cobb Pkwy on Labor Day?)  Between the fact that it is HOT, and all UPHILL, and crowded with STROLLERS and DOGS, and ends in the parking lot at WHITE WATER, I have never had the slightest desire to run it.  But FYI, for a great local race try the Turkey Trot in Marietta Square on Thanksgiving Day. (If you're not doing the Atlanta Marathon or Half Marathon that day).  I ran it last year and had a blast.

Good luck with the Peachtree.  Do you have your Time Group yet?

Jan 16, 2008
    3. Jun 18, 2010 12:23 PM (in response to amayou)

I've never done the Classic so I can't say for sure.  Most years I do the Peachtree so I'm not ready six weeks later to do another hot, hilly 10K.    But I have run lots of other races in the Atlanta area and the Peachtree is the hardest 10K, no contest.  Between the heat, hills and crowds it isn't easy!   (In fact the Atlanta Half Marathon, which I've done, has the entire Peachree route in it.  But it is much cooler in November and much less crowded.)

The PTRR is one of those races where you just have to accept that you won't be setting any PRs.  If you do it because you enjoy the atmosphere and the festivities then you won't be disappointed.  The one good thing about it, I guess, is that there is so much going on that you have lots of distractions while you're running - bands, water sprays, spectators along the route, Krispy Kreme doughnuts (really!  YUCKKK!!)   And then there is the t-shirt which is supposed to be such a big deal, although I couldn't really case less about the stack of them I have crammed away in a drawer!

Anyway, it can be fun, especially if you get a decent Time Group and don't start too far back.  I don't have to tell you that it literally gets hotter every minute as the sun is coming up on a summer morning in Atlanta and the crowd gets thicker the farther back you are as well.

I hope you have a good race.  Post back and let us know which race you like better between the two.

Jan 16, 2008
    5. Jun 18, 2010 7:31 PM (in response to amayou)

Yes, the bibs for the time groups are color coded.  They have barriers set up for the time group corrals and volunteers checking bibs before you can enter.  But trust me, that doesn't stop people from trying to beat the system.

• yankeepeach Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 7, 2010
    6. Jun 23, 2010 5:38 PM (in response to amayou)

I'm a first-timer for the PRR (it's actually my first 10K, first 5K was in April) so I am sure I will be way in the back of the pack. I signed up for the training program the Atlanta Track Club offers and it really helped me get prepared. We did the course run last Saturday and I was relieved to find that the 'hills' really weren't that bad but I think that is because my regular runs are hillier than anything on that course - blessing in disguise I suppose. I am hoping to finish the race in 60 min or slightly less, but honestly don't expect to since it will be so crowded and I'll be in the back of the pack roasting for a couple of hours waiting to start. I do hope to find some additional 5 or 10Ks to round out the summer, and am looking forward to training for the Atlanta 1/2 starting at the end of August. Good luck on race day!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...