Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3600 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2010 6:39 PM by coolbikermom RSS
jpbgrad98 Pro 78 posts since
Jun 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 17, 2010 3:17 PM

Warm Up and Cool Down

Question... what do you think is the best way to warmup?  I have started the C25k program this past week and normally don't stretch or warmup.  I keep reading that stretching before a run or workout helps reduce the chance of injury.  I generally just do the brisk 5 minutes walk as directed in the program as my warmup and then move into the running.  Same for the cool down.  Any advice would be helpful.  The last thing I want to do is get a few weeks into C25k and then *WHAM* injury.  Thanks!

Happy Running - Jason

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • dawn_o Amateur 26 posts since
    May 6, 2010
    1. Jun 17, 2010 3:49 PM (in response to jpbgrad98)
    Re: Warm Up and Cool Down

Hi Jason,

Like you, I was on the fence about pre-running stretching.  I've read conflicting information on this topic and decided to do what works best for me.  I run in the evenings so my muscles are fairly warmed up and a 5-minute brisk walk serves as my warm-up.  I end my run with another 5-minute brisk walk and spend the remainder of the evening and following day stretching.  If you are doing morning running when muscles are pretty tight you might consider a few minutes of hot packs on your legs to loosen things up a bit.

Good luck!

--dawn

Terry Fox 5k Race | 19-September-2010 | 35:11

James Cunningham 9.5k Seawall Race | 31-October-2010 | 1:04:03.94

The Fall Classic 5k | 21-November-2010 | 28:15 PB!

• runningman400 Legend 191 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009
    2. Jun 17, 2010 5:35 PM (in response to jpbgrad98)

I've been running for about 18 years now and I've always stretched before and after my workouts and also some form of warm-up/cool-down run.  It does add time to your workout, but it is worth the effort.  You should look around for a stretching regiment that you think fits your needs the best, it doesn't have to be super intense or time consuming, but it should leave you loose, relaxed and ready.

"An ounce of prevention prevents a pound of pain"

"WITHOUT STRUGGLE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS" - Frederick  Douglass

"TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, TOUGH PEOPLE DO!"

• CLS89 Legend 212 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    3. Jun 17, 2010 6:07 PM (in response to jpbgrad98)

I do a "brisk 5-minute walk" to warm up, and usually walk about 0.5 mile after my run (very slowly usually) to cool down, then stretch after my cool down walk.  I think that 5-min walk is a habit from doing C25K.  Sometimes (like if I had a hard workout the day before) the walk doesn't seem like enough to get my muscles loose, and it takes me a mile or 2 to feel comfortable, but I usually just take it easy running 'till I feel "in the zone" so to speak.  Never have stretched before a run, except when I was dealing with shin splints really badly; I would stretch my calves out before I ran. 

~Cristina~ (@mission262)

Currently training for:

Electric City Gobbler 5k 11/25/20

Kiawah Island Half-Marathon 12/11/10

Shamrock Marathon 3/20/11

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,336 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Jun 17, 2010 6:57 PM (in response to CLS89)

Personally, I don't really warmup or cooldown, though my first mile is usually a slow one.  Both Running Times and Runner's World had recent articles on using "dynamic stretching" to warmup, which might be worth checking into. The Running Times article was in the April issue, page 25.  I don't have the Runner's World reference handy.

Len

Len

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    5. Jun 18, 2010 3:56 AM (in response to jpbgrad98)

Recent research has shown that static stretching before you go running has no effect on injury prevention.  It also does nothing to warm you up (does it make you warm?) and can actually be detrimental if you're static stretching cold muscles.  Like Len said, you're best suited to spend five minutes before or after your 5 minute brisk walk doing dynamic stretches.

There are several routines that I do that take 5-10 minutes and are totally worth it.  They can also be used as warm-downs.  I wrote about several routines here: http://bit.ly/bE2PXY.

Doing some static stretching after you run won't hurt...it just won't help that much.  Cheers, - Fitz.

Strength Running
  • coffeedrinkingrunner Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    6. Jun 18, 2010 5:48 AM (in response to jpbgrad98)

Well, we will probably be reading articles that conflict each other about this subject for years to some.

When I began running again back in the fall of 2007, I did not take the time to stretch before or after my runs.  I know I struggled with runners knee, and my legs just hurt.

However, this time I have been stretching before and afer, and I have not had the same problems as I did before, FWIW.  It adds a little to my time, but if that is what is helping my avoid pain and injury, then I will keep doing it.

James Jones

www.lovingbylosing.com

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    7. Jun 18, 2010 6:16 AM (in response to JasonFitz1)

JasonFitz1 wrote:

Recent research has shown that static stretching before you go running has no effect on injury prevention.  It also does nothing to warm you up (does it make you warm?) and can actually be detrimental if you're static stretching cold muscles.  Like Len said, you're best suited to spend five minutes before or after your 5 minute brisk walk doing dynamic stretches.

There are several routines that I do that take 5-10 minutes and are totally worth it.  They can also be used as warm-downs.  I wrote about several routines here: http://bit.ly/bE2PXY.

Doing some static stretching after you run won't hurt...it just won't help that much.  Cheers, - Fitz.

My daughter is a doctor of Physical Therapy and we have talked about pre-work out stretching a lot over the years. A classmate in her class did their doctoral project on just this issue. Their conclusion was there was no affect on the body due to stretching prior to exercise. I was so happy to hear this because that is what I believe and was told I was crazy for years.

As far back as the 1970's and playing football -- where practice always begins with a huge regimine of stretching -- I worked hard at the stretching; and it never made me feel better or ready to practice. Even back then I found that jogging the long way to the practice field -- about 3/4 -- was the best way to warm up.

Currently I warm up by jogging for about 2 to 3 minutes, walk for about 5 minutes -- then I start running. And it does take a mile or so to really feel stretched.

• coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    9. Jun 19, 2010 6:39 PM (in response to jpbgrad98)

Due to my training with the C25k, I always warm up about 3-4 minutes by walking prior to the run and after I'm done. I don't usually include the warm up or cool down in my mileage total. I'm really impressed with the information about dynamic stretching. I almost never static stretch and haven't had any injury yet. I think it's just something runners/athletes have done forever and think that's how they think it always should be.

Read, research, and do what feels best for you.

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points