Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1509 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2010 4:50 PM by Designeer
Errnestinne Amateur 36 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 18, 2010 2:48 PM

Metatarsals?????

I have pain in the top of my foot.

It is hard to explain, but it feels like a ball/knot in the mid top of my foot, where my 1st and 2nd toe bones connect.

What is it? And what can I do to treat it?

Im an avid runner and it tears me apart to think id have to rest.

HELP!

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    1. Jun 20, 2010 4:13 PM (in response to Errnestinne)
    Re: Metatarsals?????

Errnestinne, we need more information.

Between the toes, where they join to the foot (possible Morton's neuroma) or between the metatarsals (anything from tying your shoes too tight to a stress fracture)?  Is there something you can feel with your finger, or is the feeling your sense of what's going on in your foot? When did it start, what makes it worse, does anything make it better? How long have you been running, and have you changed anything lately?

Robin

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    3. Jun 20, 2010 7:44 PM (in response to Errnestinne)

Maybe the shoes aren't the answer, but you've been running forever, you've never had the problem before, and it's sure the easiest thing to fix.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

Good luck

Robin

• Designeer Pro 125 posts since
    Jan 28, 2010
    4. Jul 17, 2010 4:50 PM (in response to Errnestinne)

I have been running short distances almost every day for about 37 years.........guess what?  You start to stretch the ligaments holding your metarsals together, This allows one bone to move at a 45 degree way too far from its neighbor and this is quite a scissor pinch on the nerve, which may take it badly for a year or more before it send you a pain signal, by that time signifant damge is done.

So waht to do?  Get yourself to a prolotherapist and tighten those ligaments through injection regeneration therapy.  I did for a Dropped Metarsal/Morton's Neuroma injury and its workng, the nerve is healing slowly.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points