Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3916 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2010 9:54 AM by marathonstan
fldogwalker Pro 68 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 21, 2010 12:27 PM

Am I alone or are there any other race "aholics" out there..?

RACES

Before this year.. I had never entered a race of any distance.  In fact I could barely run 2 miles.  50 lbs overweight and so out of shape I decided to make a commitment that would take me through a year of firsts.   I decided to to enter at least 52 events in 2010.

I have no idea what to expect.  I don’t know what races I will be able to complete.  It will be a constant challenge to my mind and body.  I may be slow.  I might be fast.  I could go long.  I just need to go.

How is it going so far…  check it out!   http://yearof1sts.com/about/races/

1/31 – Florida Challenge Trail Run 5k – 30:54

2/6 – Strawberry Distance Classic 5k – 23:44

2/13 – Suncoast Classic 10k – 53:45

2/14  - Flatwoods Four Trail  Run 4m – 32:41

2/20 – Falcon Fitness Run 5k – 22:54 (3rd in ag)

2/27 – Gasparilla 15k – 1:20:58

3/6 – Belleair Classic 10k – 48:43

3/7 – Tour De Cure Metric Century Ride

3/12 – Shamrock n’ Run 5k – 23:07  (3rd in ag)

3/14 – Sarasota Half Marathon – 1:54:33

3/21 – Florida Beaches Half Marathon – 1:44:14

3/27 – Beach to Bayou 5k – 21:48 (4th in ag)

3/28 – Cycle 4 Strays Metric Century Ride

4/3 – Guppy’s Gulfside Gallop 5k – 21:47 (1st in ag…  if there were age groups)

4/11 – K-Swiss RRCA 10k State Championship – 45:44

4/17 – Earth Day 12k – 54:27 (8th oa & 2nd in ag)

4/24 – Race the Lakes 10k – 43:50 (3rd in ag)

4/24 – Race The Lakes RRCA 5k National Championship – 22:53 (2nd in ag)

5/1  - Fit2Run Arthritis 5k – 20:07 (7th oa)

5/7 – Picnic Island Adventure Run – 32:02

5/15 – Keys 100 Ultra Marathon – 50 Mile individual – 12:51

5/21 – Mad Dog 5k – ?? (they didn’t post the results)

5/23 – Madiera Beach Triathlon – 1:35:09

5/29 – Crystal River Triathlon – 1:23:16

6/4 – Pier 60 Clearwater sunset 5k – 29:30 (bad cramp.. limped in..)

6/6 – Dunedin Triathlon – 1:22 (horrible run.. same cramp)

6/12 – Siesta Key Triathlon – 1:23 (horrible swim. great ride and good run)

6/18 – Pier 60 Clearwater SUnset 5k – 29:50 (heat exauhstion – bad bad bad)

6/20 – Heartland Triathlon – 1:25 (3rd place in mixed team relay w/ Katie)

"Enter a race.  Train to become faster and stronger.  Honor the commitment. Reap the rewards." - me

http://triandrunflorida.com/

• mjsmithz Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 11, 2010

wow 52 races that is impressive good luck with your quest

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

One of your challenges is going to be finding events in July and August in Florida.  I know in the Orlando area they are few and far between in the summer.

Do you already have all of your races picked out?

That's an inspirational goal.

bob

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• moviechic3 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009

Wow, and I thought I was addicted by doing 1 race a month!

You rock - good luck on your quest

http://some-people-juggle-geese.blogspot.com/ (My Blog)

Upcoming Races :

11/03/12 Race the Bar 15K Winston-Salem, NC

Completed Races :

05/26/12 Run The Haw 10K Graham, NC 1:20:03

04/28/12 Owl's Roost 3.5M Greensboro, NC 46:26

03/24/12 Race the Bar 5K Winston-Salem, NC 42:52

09/15/12 Dublin Half Marathon Dublin, Ireland 3:20:24

10/20/12 Hit the Brixx 10K Greensboro, NC 1:22:05

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009

I got the same bug....do you plan your next race while racing

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010

Is racing interfering with your ability to hold down a job?

Is racing interfering with your relationships?

If not, go for it (provided your health is OK, of course ).

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• 2power Pro 91 posts since
    Jan 5, 2010

I'm just gonna take a guess that you aren't married with 3 kids....aww, I'm kidding Good for you, quite an accomplishment, I'm jealous!

I can't even schedule that kind of time for grocery shopping.

• Atsipootes Pro 102 posts since
    Oct 26, 2009

That's just amazing

You did much more than me And I am running for 9 years...

Keep running!

If you believe that you can, you can And you do it really good.

I am now training for a marathon.

Feel the joy of running

http://www.you-run.com

• xterra racer Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 23, 2010

Your post certainly caught my attention, as I have a very similar problem.  I just love to race!  When I started looking at my season this past winter, I didn't feel strongly about any "A" races or events, but noticed I had the usual 40 or so that I like to do.  That gave me the inspiration to wonder if 100 races in a year is possible.  As of this evening I stand at 46, so without any unforeseen problems it should happen.

The fun part of this has been all of the different sports I have participated in.  Road races, trail runs, track meets, mountain bike races, time trials, swim meets, road tris, off road tris, and I'll likely mix in some sprint adventure races and cyclocross in the fall.

For the record if I do a swim or track meet, I count each race as one.  I have had some people advise me that this isn't right, but hey, it is my idea, my challenge, and I'm not asking to be sanctioned by anyone.  The requirements I have for each event is that it must be an organized race, with timing and scoring, as well as published results.  It also requires an all out effort on my part for each race, I'm not allowed to take a race ez and count it.

What I have found so far is that you can't train much, as you need to recover.  This does not mean you will necessarily be slower, as some of my run times have been pr's.  Other things such as the mountain bike racing, have suffered as very limited training cannot get me by on the level on which I compete.

One of the biggest drawbacks is that after a race, when looking at the results, I see people that I have beaten in the past, or could now if I just trained one sport.  That can be a little difficult, but has been well worth it.

I do very much enjoy being well rounded enough to be up for most challenges.  Not being afraid to jump into a competition that you may do poorly in is a definite requisite for challenges such as you and I are doing.

It has been a lot of fun so far, I'm glad to see someone else is pursuing a similar goal.

(yes, I have no kids and am self employed)

• marathonstan Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 15, 2007

Hey there Racer:

I would have to say that you are not alone like many of us raceaholics, I started running back at the age of 26 yrs. in 1980, and I am still running now but unfortunately I stop racing each week... I just pick out the races that I enjoy doing and getting use to enjoy my long slow distance (LSD) runs and not have that competitive racing in me anymore.

Before that I was racing very weekend and if possible I would try to find two races within the same day.

When I first started running I was going crazy, because I was so addicted to running that I would run in the morning before going to work, at lunchtime I would run about a couple of miles (4 miles), then after work I would run again. People would ask me "Why do you like to run?" My answer would be "Why do men like SEX a lot?" And that would be the answer to their question.

Within my first year of running I did 14 marathons, 68 races (5K & 10K), one 100k run (62 miles),  not including my training which consisted on the average of 21 miles a day, so there you have it.

I even gave it a name Runner's Anorexi, because all I would do is run and figure that the less that I would weight the more I'm able to run faster and longer...  which is not case.

I had weighted 120 lbs. my height is 5'-2" I didn't take any type of vitamins or on any training diet, all I knew that I had to eat to maintain my running.

So I ate anything and everything I thought would give me energy to do long runs and footraces.

Now that I look back at my years of running, I was lucky that I didn't have any injuries, knee or health problems... I give thanks to God who's been watching over me and I wish you the very best and many races to come in the future years.

-MarathonStan-

,-___  -,
    V)66(V

(o_)

-Stan-

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...