Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

911 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 22, 2010 1:47 PM by Joe_h1
Ah Me Ma Ossan Rookie 4 posts since
Jan 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 22, 2010 12:25 PM

Amputee runner, is there any information available?

I am a below knee amputee. I had not been able to run for almost 40 years (since 1970) except for the "amputee hop". I am a difficult socket fit but my wife found a prosthetist who was able to fit me so I could run. That was summer of 2009. After a slow and painful start (almost quit several times) I have progressed to running in 7 5K's this year. My goal is to run as far as I can but information, training, etc for old (60), amputees with 40 years of non running is hard to find. I want to do this smart and avoid dumb injuries and continue to add distance. I have pretty much done this on my own with my wife (who is also running with me). In good general health and amazingly motivated. I understand what all of you have been enjoying for all these years! I welcome all information, advice, tips, etc on all aspects. By the way I ran with my oldest son in a 5K...it was the first time in his life we had run together, I plan to run with grand kids next.  I am pretty much a blank slate here.

I attached a photo I never thought I would have....me in a race!

Attachments:

Ahmema ossan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points