Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4694 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2010 8:58 AM by BobRuns26 1 2 Previous Next
buildingme Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 23, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 23, 2010 12:59 PM

What's your favorite RUNNING movie?

I'm one of those guys that love great sport movies. I get all inspired after I watching movies such as "Rocky" and "Hoosiers"... So it got me thinking of GREAT RUNNING MOVIES...

There has been quite a few great running films too, here are some of my FAVORITES in no order:  "Badwater" (classic -  about the four runners trek though Death Valley and 135 miles of road) "Spirit of the Marathon" (story 5 marathoners prepare and run the Chicago Marathon - www.marathonmovie.com),  "My Run" (love this film - saw it at the Austin Film Festival - amazing story of a man that ran 75 marathons  - www.facebook.com/myrunmovie) and "Running the Saraha" (cool flick about three men attempt to become the first humans to run coast to coast across the Sahara Desert.)

Looking forward to hear some of yours and feedback on these films. Happy running to the video store!

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    1. Jun 23, 2010 2:19 PM (in response to buildingme)
    Re: What's your favorite RUNNING movie?

Those all sound like documentaries and not really movies.

Besides Chariots of Fire I do not know of any running movies. And I won't watch that movie because the music/song from the movie drives my batty.

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jun 23, 2010 2:16 PM (in response to buildingme)

I enjoyed Spirit of the Marathon and Running the Sahara.

I stumbled on an old Michael Douglas movie on cable about 2 weeks ago called Running.  He played a marathoner in the 1976(?) Olympics.  The movie was OK but I have a lot more respect for Michael Douglas after watching him run.  It's probably still available on demand this month.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• Curtis721 Legend 203 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    4. Jun 23, 2010 4:38 PM (in response to skypilot77)

That's funny, I just watched Chariots of Fire two weeks ago with my 21 year-old daughter. I like to introduce her to vintage movies from before she was born.  We made it a double-feature with Breaking Away (the bike racing movie filmed in Bloomington, Indiana).  The main character from Breaking Away has a bit part in Chariots of Fire as one of the American runners.  I know that people make fun of the Vangelis theme music, but it is iconic from that era.  It is interesting to see what technology is featured in these old films.  I was especially interested in the running shoes in Chariots of Fire.  They look like really comfortable minimalist shoes!

I will have to look up some of those other films.  I can't think of any other running movies but it seems that I've seen some at one time or another.  Does Forest Gump count?

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

Started C25K Jan. 19, 2010 - Graduated April 14, 2010

If I didn't have so far to go, the journey would end too soon.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    5. Jun 23, 2010 5:21 PM (in response to Curtis721)

"Run, Forrest, Run!"

Yes, it totally counts.  One of my favs! 

• xc29min Amateur 15 posts since
    Dec 26, 2007
    6. Jul 1, 2010 1:51 PM (in response to buildingme)

"Without Limits" a story of the life of Steve Prefontaine.  "Fire on the Track" a documentary about Steve Prefontaine.  "Running Brave" a story about Billy Mills.  "Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner" a story of a great runner.  I want to buy the documentary "Jim Run America's Greatest Miler".

Here's a favorite little story i like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuy1GSYoOr8

"Peace" Long May You Run

• winkirun Amateur 38 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009
    7. Jul 2, 2010 12:14 PM (in response to rbird)

There was also "The Lonliest Runner" with Michael Landon.  Not a terrible movie for its time.  About a teenager who still wet the bed and would race home to pull the sheets out of the window where his "mommy dearest" would hang them.  Gotta love that mom.  Ugh.

"You  gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really  stop to look fear in the face... you must do the things you cannot do." - Eleanor  Roosevelt
  • silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    8. Jul 2, 2010 2:34 PM (in response to xc29min)

I agree with Running Brave, Great Movie!!!!!

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• growlerius Pro 74 posts since
    Aug 15, 2009
    9. Jul 2, 2010 7:27 PM (in response to buildingme)

Seems kind of fluffy compared to the films mentioned here, but I enjoyed Run Fatboy Run, a British comedy about an out of shape deadbeat dad who resolves to run a marathon to win his kid's mother back.  One of the funnier (and horribly wrong) aspects is his 'training', which is exactly three weeks long. 

• ePathChina Amateur 1 posts since
    Jul 2, 2010
    10. Jul 2, 2010 9:23 PM (in response to buildingme)

Transformers, Superman, Spiderman and Batman

• Kali.Queen Pro 121 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009
    11. Jul 5, 2010 5:34 PM (in response to xc29min)

xc29min wrote:

"Without Limits" a story of the life of Steve Prefontaine.  "Fire on the Track" a documentary about Steve Prefontaine. 

I actually just bought both of those today!

Right now I am LOVING "Prefontaine" - with Jared Leto. This weekend alone I watched it 3 times ..... last weekend I visited his grave, this weekend I visited his rock where he sadly died.  I guess I'm really into it right now because a) it is a great movie, b) Pre is my running idol and c) the next big race I am prepping for is the Prefontaine Memorial 10K that I hear is pretty much an very difficult, mostly uphill race in his hometown. Looking forward to it a lot, and looking forward to watching Fire on the Track!

• moviechic3 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    12. Jul 6, 2010 4:52 AM (in response to Kali.Queen)

As far as an actual movie, SAINT RALPH is my fave.

In the documentary category, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.

http://some-people-juggle-geese.blogspot.com/ (My Blog)

Upcoming Races :

11/03/12 Race the Bar 15K Winston-Salem, NC

Completed Races :

05/26/12 Run The Haw 10K Graham, NC 1:20:03

04/28/12 Owl's Roost 3.5M Greensboro, NC 46:26

03/24/12 Race the Bar 5K Winston-Salem, NC 42:52

09/15/12 Dublin Half Marathon Dublin, Ireland 3:20:24

10/20/12 Hit the Brixx 10K Greensboro, NC 1:22:05

• sumovato Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 3, 2009
    13. Jul 6, 2010 7:01 AM (in response to buildingme)

I remember a movie from my youth called Jericho Mile, something about a convict who almost becomes an olympic runner.. or something like that anyhow.. I remember it being good when i was a kid about 30 years ago....LOL  maybe i should try to find it and watch it again to see if I still like it.

Nike+ id:      sumovato

C25K Graduate                          7/10/2010

Children's Miracle Network 5k     7/10/2010  (39:00)

Pony Pasture 5K                       7/31/2010

• Atsipootes Pro 102 posts since
    Oct 26, 2009
    14. Jul 6, 2010 8:03 AM (in response to buildingme)

Forrest Gump is really great http://you-run.com/Forrest_Gump.html

Running the Sahara is really inspirational http://you-run.com/Running_Sahara.html

I like "Without limits" as  well.

Run, Pre, Run

I am now training for a marathon.

Feel the joy of running

http://www.you-run.com

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...