Skip navigation

3954 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2010 8:03 PM by not injured this is how I run RSS
HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 28, 2010 8:41 AM

Post long run hangover?

I have a really bad hangover feeling on the day after my last two long runs. I'm tired, foggy, and headachy. Is this dehydration? Am I not doing something right in the recovery period? What should I do to prevent it next time?

I will run for cupcakes!!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Jun 28, 2010 8:48 AM (in response to HALOjen)
    Re: Post long run hangover?

All signs of heat exhaustion.  It's been very, very hot for this time of the year in NC.

• lcdenner Amateur 9 posts since
    May 11, 2010
    2. Jun 28, 2010 9:17 AM (in response to HALOjen)

I get this feeling when I am dehydrated. My only advice is try to use the weighing method. Weigh yourself before the run and then after. You should drink enough water to get back to your pre-run weight. This has worked for me. If I don't do this I end up with a horrible headache for two days.

Upcoming Events:

See Jane Run - I Run for Chocolate and Champagne 5k (Boise, ID) 6/19/10

Fit for Life Half Marathon (Boise, ID) 7/10/10

Eugene Women's Half Marathon (Eugene, OR) 09/05/10

Portland Marathon (Portland, OR) 10/10/10

• TylerDurdinUMD Pro 64 posts since
    Jun 23, 2010
    3. Jun 28, 2010 9:25 AM (in response to HALOjen)

Could be electrolytes.  I get that "hangover" if I don't replenish properly.  Water does a lot, but doesn't quite do it for me if I really get drenched or if I'm out for over an hour.

Best drink I've found is homemade (the commercial ones do sodium fine, but skimp on potassium and ignore bicarbonate, magnesium and calcium).

1/2 quart water

1/2 quart cranberry juice cocktail (for flavor, could also use lemon juice + sugar, apple juice, orange juice)
    ½ teaspoon (2.5 g) baking soda
    ½ teaspoon (2.5 g) table salt
    ¼ teaspoon (1.25 g) salt substitute (potassium-based), such as Lite Salt or Morton Salt Substitute

I find the cranberry juice is crucial to getting this down.  Without it, you're talking about a gym-sock wring-out flavor.  With it, the tartness really helps to cut the flavor.  This drink replenishes 3 of your 5 essential salts.  The others you can get from a glass of milk (although I would not recommend immediately following this drink with the milk).  I'll warn you that it's a little nasty, but it really works.

Here's a link to another forum I'm on where we've covered this same topic.

http://www.vaughnripley.com/forum/index.php?topic=3779.msg45257#msg45257

2009 Pascack Valley Sprint Triathlon - 1:20:17

2010 Pacers Half Marathon - 2:09:37

2010 NJ State Triathlon (Olympic) - 3:33:19

Best little forum on the Internet:  http://www.vaughnripley.com/forum/

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jun 28, 2010 9:25 AM (in response to HALOjen)

Firecat says "Here's your straw. Use it to drink more drinks."

Yes. It's hotter n hell. And muggy. And you need to take care of you by drinking extra lots. Because I don't think it's a result of that new number you just turned.

MOAR WATRZ PLZ

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jun 28, 2010 9:29 AM (in response to HALOjen)

How much are you drinking during the day when you're NOT running? You need to be drinking extra just to get out of bed these last few weeks.

(also? I hear NUUN goes well with cupcakes. Just sayin.)

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Jun 28, 2010 10:11 AM (in response to HALOjen)

It sounds like dehydration.  I think you really need to do the weigh-test as someone else suggested.  I ran for about 2:50 yesterday and I figure I lost 7 or 8 pounds, and that was after what I drank during the run (admittedly, nowhere near enough, maybe 36 oz).  Of course, I'm a little bigger than you.  Thank God for small favors, huh?  Even with drinking another 2 qts  within an hour or so after I got back, I had a slight headache and felt "loggy" the rest of the day.  Try to have a good recovery drink for when you get home, too, something akin to what was suggested by another poster.  A good smoothie with yogurt and banana might work.  Chocolate milk is popular.    I use skim milk personally.

Len

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    8. Jun 28, 2010 10:55 AM (in response to HALOjen)

It sounds like fluid level is down.

I agree with the weight test but also believe you have got to through some more water down too in order to flush the body of all the spent fuel by products.

• CWCastelli Legend 375 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    9. Jun 28, 2010 1:32 PM (in response to skypilot77)

Jen,

As we used to tell the candidates at Officer Candidates School, it is not how much you drink during the day, it is how much you drink the day before.  As an aside, we found that at OCS there were far more heat casualties on a Monday than any other day in the week. Why?  Because the candidates were coming off weekend liberty where they forgot to hydrate.

BTW, I will be up in Pittsburgh 10-16 Aug for vacation/my brother's wedding. Staying downtown at the Omni William Penn.  Know any good runs in that area?

Chris

I'm not slow, I'm rear security.

Thoroughbreds run fast and finish early.  Clydesdales run slow and pull beer wagons.  I'll be a Clydesdale.

• TylerDurdinUMD Pro 64 posts since
    Jun 23, 2010
    10. Jun 28, 2010 1:35 PM (in response to CWCastelli)

I'd second this.  Day before hydration can make a big difference.  Before the next long run, you may want to spend 2 days drinking an extra 1-2 quarts (per day) to make sure all your potential stores are fully juiced up.

2009 Pascack Valley Sprint Triathlon - 1:20:17

2010 Pacers Half Marathon - 2:09:37

2010 NJ State Triathlon (Olympic) - 3:33:19

Best little forum on the Internet:  http://www.vaughnripley.com/forum/

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    11. Jun 28, 2010 5:55 PM (in response to TylerDurdinUMD)

Jen ~

Drink more the day leading up to the run.  I also would recommend drinking a soda, beer, sports drink, or anything other that water along with the H2O you will use to hydrate the night and day prior.  It will help give that extra junk to keep hyponatremia from occuring.  As far as the amount you drink on the run it sounds good depending on how long you are out there.  I use some post run stuff similar to accelerade (sometimes this) immediately following a run.  Later, an hour or so after the run I used to drink chocolate milk but it is hard to come by here in Japan.  The weight test works well but all in all I would say you need more fluids the day prior and remember to get the carbs, salts, and protein in the system immediately after the run via a sports drink.  Good luck young lady!

This place is like home!!!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    12. Jun 28, 2010 7:18 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

In my earlier reply, I assume you are hydrating 24 X 7.  Going into the run fully hydrated can make a big difference.

Len

• not injured this is how I run Amateur 7 posts since
    Sep 17, 2009
    13. Jun 28, 2010 8:03 PM (in response to HALOjen)

I don't think cupcakes will help.  when I get back from a long run I drink water and/or pedialight and eat pretzels.  The salt really seems to work for keeping me from getting a headache or from dragging too much after the run.

During the run I am a fan of Blocks and water.

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007

not injured this is how I run wrote:

I don't think cupcakes will help.  when I get back from a long run I drink water and/or pedialight and eat pretzels.  The salt really seems to work for keeping me from getting a headache or from dragging too much after the run.

During the run I am a fan of Blocks and water.

We know that Jen would do well if she had a cupcake after each run... esp[ecially those longer runs.  It would help most as long as they could stomach them...

My favorites are lemon flavor with lemon icing!  lol

This place is like home!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points