Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1638 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 28, 2010 9:25 AM by rbird RSS
lcdenner Amateur 9 posts since
May 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 28, 2010 8:52 AM

Training By Time - First Time Marathon Runner

I am currently ready to run a half marathon in two weeks and after that will continue my training to prepare for the Portland Marathon in October. On my current training plan I have been using mileage goals to train. I signed up for a beginning training program for the Portland Marathon and it is set up by time. I noticed the longest long run is 4 hours long. Currently I run very slowly and I know the marathon is going to take me 5+ hours to complete. I run about a 11:34 mile in training currently. Do I need to adjust my training runs so that I am running for longer periods of time prior to the marathon, or will that build-up to 4 hours be enough to get me through the marathon?

Upcoming Events:

See Jane Run - I Run for Chocolate and Champagne 5k (Boise, ID) 6/19/10

Fit for Life Half Marathon (Boise, ID) 7/10/10

Eugene Women's Half Marathon (Eugene, OR) 09/05/10

Portland Marathon (Portland, OR) 10/10/10

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points