Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1629 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2010 4:03 PM by runmotor
catwoman1 Expert 40 posts since
May 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 29, 2010 4:33 AM

Heart rate

I've recently started using a HR moniter during my speed workouts - 5K on the treadmill. SInce I'm 38, my max. HR should be about 182, and 90% HR is 164. I find that by mile 2, my HR is already in the 160's and by mile 3, it's over 170. I do this workout about once a week (unless I'm racing), and don't feel totally exhausted afterward. Is there any harm in running at 95% HR for a mile or so once a week?

• Beer and Cupcakes Legend 970 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    1. Jul 2, 2010 1:47 PM (in response to catwoman1)
    Re: Heart rate

If  you push yourself hard in training you will see your heartrate often times near max.   I bought a polar too and tried to do heart rate based exercises per the book, but it ended being crap.  My max heart rate is supposed to be 172 at my age, 45.    Im supposed to do my runs at 85%, 146 HR.    Puleease.   5K races push my heartrate to 178.  My typical 5 miler run finishes around 170 and I feel fine.   Like I actually did a good workout.    Not to discourage you, but I gave up with the heart rate thing and now focus on distance and pace. A GPS app in my phone makes it easy.  If you dont have a smartphone Garmin has a cool new watch the Forerunner 110.  They have a womans model of it thats slick looking and small. I bought my wife one for her BDay.  Its gotten good reviews. Good luck.  -Jim

Virtual Racing Antagonist.  I run for beer and cupcakes.kenyan.jpg

1 Mile PR 6:44

5K PR 22:21 

10K PR 48:30

Half Marathon PR  1:48:43 

Marathon PR - 4:09:10  

i before e except after c, weird?

• jpbgrad98 Pro 78 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    2. Jul 2, 2010 3:49 PM (in response to catwoman1)

Not to sound totally inept, but I am still fairly new to running.  I am doing the C25k program.  How do I determine what my heart rate should be during running and what my max heart rate is?  I am 30, weigh 165 and am 5'2". 

Thanks!

Happy Running -Jason

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jul 2, 2010 5:07 PM (in response to jpbgrad98)

Using a heart rate monitor (HRM) is not as straight-forward as they would have you believe.  Finding your maximum is key, and you can't depend on the formulas, which only work for about 60% of the population.  For instance, mine is (at least) 188 at age 62.  Here's a recent thread that discusses some of these issues.

http://community.active.com/thread/86940/running-for-speed-of-heart-bpm/0/20

Len

Len

• jpbgrad98 Pro 78 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    4. Jul 2, 2010 5:15 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Thank you.  That thread was extremely helpful.  I appreciate your response!

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • runmotor Amateur 20 posts since
    Jun 3, 2010
    5. Jul 3, 2010 4:03 PM (in response to jpbgrad98)

I've just started monitoring my HR too...... father's day gift. 

I like to see it while cross-training....try for a minimum of 150, which is sometimes hard on a bike.

I've also been interested to see my HR on the track with intervals.  If my last rep was pegged, I might have stopped in the past, now I keep my HR at the previous reps and slow my pace down to finish up.

I'm not sure if these are good training methods, but its interesting to me to have the HR info. and makes me feel more comfortable to push a little harder.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points