Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19064 Views 84 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2010 2:52 PM by Jasmine1972 RSS 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
Sep 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 1, 2010 2:35 PM

Anyone running a fall marathon?  Let's share training here!

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in week 7 of Hal Higdons Novice half marathon plan.  I am doing the Disneyland half marathon September 4rh.  I did this last year but it was mostly walking and it took 3 hours and 21 minutes.  I've been in training every since the end of that to come back this year and HOPEFULLY mostly run it!   As I was a walker/hiker and not a runner I started with Couch to 5k last October.

Monday I did a 7 mile run.  It was doable and I felt good after BUT I can't say I'm looking forward to running 8 miles next week.  It is challenging.  I am 53 year old and don't recover that quickly between runs.  For example Wednesday I was supposed to do 4.5 miles.  Tuesday night I went on a hike with my hiking club and climbed some pretty good hills.  Wednesdays run I felt sore in my quads for the hiking and only ended up doing 2.5 miles.  I went and did the 4 today... 4 seemed very challenging today.  Makes me wonder how I will do 13.1!!  For now I'm just going to focus on completing one workout at a time.   Just like I did when I started with couch to 5 K.

How bout the rest of you?  Who else is training for a fall half marathon?   How's it going?  Let's share tips and encouragement here!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• cajundentist Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 5, 2010

Hi Jess,  I thought I was reading my own story.  On 2/28/2010 I weighed 208 at 5'9" and 49 years old and decided to run a marathon Feb. 2011 in Melbourne, Florida right after I turn 50.  I had no running experience and wanted a lofty goal to help me stick with proper diet.  I did do a half marathon 3 years ago with NO TRAINING and it took me 2' hours, 55 min.  Today is 7/1/2010 and I have lost 37 pounds.  As I lost weight the running got easier.  I was on the exact same training as you, except the distances were easy (after home and thinking back they seemed easy, but not neccessarily while running) and I decided to switch to the moderate training program.  At ~week 8 my left knee got sore and I had to switch to lots of biking and rested the knee.  I only ran once a week for 3 weeks and it went away completely in time for the Hospital Hill Half Marathon in Kansas City, Missouri.  I finished it in 2 hours and 17min.  I trained for a while at 10 min. mile pace and have progressed to 9 min.miles.  This morning I did 3 miles in 24 min 40 sec (8:13 pace) I was tickled.  I only run 3 days a week now and bike 10-26 miles everyday cause nothing hurts on the bike.  Actually my knee is still perfect, even sprinting the last mile in the Hospital Hill Half Marathon.  My problem was doing the midweek shorter runs on Tu, Wed, Th and not enough healing time.  Good luck in your training.  I love having that number on my chest and the timing chip on my shoe and my headphones cranking out classic rock.  See you somewhere in the running world!!!!  Mike

• donnamacd Pro 120 posts since
    Nov 4, 2007

Hats off to both of you!  Those were great half mara times!  I'm training for a WALKING half marathon on September 12th.  Last one I did was just under 4 hours, so I've been trying to get some running into my training with the C25K to  get a LITTLE faster.  Watching me do a half is like watching paint dry, or grass grow.  But at least I'm with a walking group so there'll be at least 20 of us stumbling across the finish line at the back of the pack.  'Cept me, if I can get a few squirts of running in there...  LOL

Donna

"You can't plow a field by turning it over in your mind." ...and you can't train for a race by thinking about it - you have to put in the miles.

Nov 4, 2007

Thanks, Jess - yes, I have several of Jeff's books.  Also several of John "The Penguin" Bingham's.  I'm using Bingham's run/walk half marathon training mixed with Prevention's half marathon plan this time around.  I'm doing a 7 miler tomorrow, but it will be on a sort of rough trail, so for safety's sake I probably won't run too much.  But the speed work during the week is about at 3 min running, 2 min walking repeats.  And thar goes the tortoise again... 

Donna

"You can't plow a field by turning it over in your mind." ...and you can't train for a race by thinking about it - you have to put in the miles.

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009

Jess,

I have entered and paid for a half marathon  scheduled for october 10.

I picked this particular half marathon because it is only a few minutes from home-and I know most of the course pretty well  as I bike through it frequently. the first mile or so-is actually downhill, the first 4 plus miles are,unfortuneately, on pavement, the rest of the course is on a crushed limestone towpath along side a canal and essentially perfectly level.

I am  training by running 3 days per week. 2 shorter mid week runs at 5:30 AM before work, and a longer run on sundays. doing roofing and carpentry work  in the sun at age 47 means I really need the extra recuperation time and I cant't run 4 days/week AND work without injury. My current long run is 6-1/2 miles which is fairly easy as long as I pace myself and take it slow.

Can you believe when we started the C25k plan we would EVER think of 6-1/2 miles as easy?The firast 2-3 miles I have to really restrain myself and I feel like the pace is absurdly slow- but at least it lets me finish the run. I am paying no attention to the actual speed- no clock at all.

I am adding 1/2 mile/week to the' long" run-and I add 1/4 mile each week to ONE of the short runs-so I am only ramping up my weekly mileage 3/4 mile/week. I try to fit in a couple/3 20-30-40 mile bike rides/week- but mostly I am counting on the roofing as cross training.

In august I will start doing my sunday long runs on different sections of the half marathon course so I am absolutely,perfectly and thoroughly familiar with  the course on race day. I am NOT happy with  the first 4 plus miles being on pavement as these old roofers knees really don't like pavement----- but I figure the paveme3nt will just give me an excuse to run really slow to start the race.

stephen

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009

Jess,

I try to do the mid week runs on Tues/Thurs. which gives me some flexibility to accomodate my work schedule- if  work schedule demands- I can move it to Tues./ Friday or Weds./ Fri etc.

always gotta make sure I have at least one day off between runs

Ran this morning, for example because yesterday I was suffering from a summer cold and some slate roof induced dehydration-went out early-temp. in the low 50's- short ,fast 3-1/2 mile run-probably insanely fast for me- but the temp was so cool compared to the roof i felt like I was sprinting the whole way.

Much,much,MUCH easier doing it early in the morning with the temp. in the 50's-instead of later in the 80's/90's.

sundays run- I am gonna try to get the whole thing done pretty much BEFORE sunrise-as it is gonna be in the 90's later on.

saw many blue herons this morning-which look really spooky standing still in the pre-dawn dimness.-saw a beaver on  Tuesday morning.

In YOUR case- between standing on your feet all day at work, hiking, AND playing Tennis,AND training for a half-something has gotta give. I am thinking you might be better with 3 runs per week. I know I can't do 4 without my legs going dead.

slow work, scheduling conflicts and  a bad economy has me essentially "on vacation" for most of the next week or so-- i will probably fit in a few long bike rides as well.

stephen

• jenster! Legend 295 posts since
    May 27, 2009

I'm doing the Rock'n'Roll VA Beach on Sept 5. It was my first half last year so I'm excited to smash last year's course time of 2:41:34. During that race, I was passed by many walkers so Donna, I have much respect for people who walk the whole thing!!

I had a really hard time at my first half...and did a revenge race two months later and killed it (2:18 AND, more importantly, I felt great the whole time)...and since then I've been addicted to halves - I've done 8 total. I mess around with fulls but the half is my true love. Those of you training for your second half will find it a lot easier. You understand your body so much better.

Congrats to all of you for your stories. I find people who've overcome a lifetime of living a certain way and initiating permanent change truly inspiring. Your stories are a big reason I love the running community, which accepts anyone willing to put in the sweat equity as an athlete.

My training will start on Monday. I'm still recovering from a full on 6/19. Don't mean to hyjack the thread but you guys are definitely welcome to share your training over at the Not authorized to view the specified social group 1003 group.

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

-Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

My Blog  |  Althlinks Profile

Fall Schedule:

9/17 Asheville Half

10/16 Nike Women's Marathon

11/20 Philly Marathon

• WIguy Pro 136 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010

I plan to run my first half marathon on my birthday in late October.  Next week is the last week of C25K.  I completed my first 4 mile run earlier this week in just under 50 minutes.  Target pace for the half marathon is 11 min/mi or better.  I'm 80 pounds overweight now and hope to lose about half of that before the marathon.

C25K - graduated 7/9/10

---

Justiceworks' JustRun 5K - 9/4/10: 24:52

American Cancer Society Walk/Run 5K - 9/19/10: 24:20

Lettie's River Run 5K - 10/9/10: 24:59

• longislandguy Pro 121 posts since
    Dec 31, 2009

Marine Corp Marathon on 10/31.. can't wait.

I'm basing my training on the Hal Higdon Intermediate training programs but mixing in a bunch of cycling/swimming ( I swam a mile for the first time last night! ) because I am on the fence about doing a half ironman on Oct 3rd.. I want to see how much residual fitness I have from the Long Island Marathon in May but I did my first tri this year and loved it.  I figure that if I am religous about doing the long runs, I can swap out some of the mid-week runs with other types of training.

I signed up for Queens .5 marathon next month because I need 2 more races to qualify  for NYC 2011 but I'm going to use it as a test to see how fast I can do  it and stay areobic.  I've never paid too much attention to heart rate and training, I've always just kinda went for it but I figured why not try it out and see if it helps.

I'm with Jen though.. the half marathon is my favorite distance.  Long enough to test enduarance but short enough to be able to go at it (relatively) hard.

Nov 4, 2007

Thanks for the heads up, Jenster!  I didn't even know there was such an animal as a Half Marathon group!

• cajundentist Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 5, 2010

Hi WIguy    Wow, you are doing fantastic already at 80 pounds above ideal.  How's the eating plan working out (I try to avoid the work d-i-e-t, because that means one will someday go off of it)?  My personal loss was attributed to quitting the gallon or so of Diet Coke I drank every day, no alcohol (rarely some wine is OK), no candies, cookies or desserts, eating lots of fruits and veggies and turkey and chicken and fish.  I definately never go hungry.  My breakfast every day is a whole wheat Eggo waffle (80 cal, 0 fat) with peach yogurt (80 cal, 0 fat) poured on top of it.  Lunch and dinner as mentionned earlier, and an evening snack of Vanilla fat free yogurt and a Fiber One dry cereal mixed in with only a few calories and more fruit if still hungry.  It works for me, hopefully you are on a satisfying meal plan also.  Best of luck in your "racing" future!  Mike

• WIguy Pro 136 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010

cajundentist:  I ditched all sugary snacks and desserts.  I eat quite a bit of fruit (bananas, apples, oranges, grapes, raisins, nectarines) and more vegetables (broccoli, asparagus, and whatever fits on top of a Subway sandwich, some nuts and dairy (yogart, cheese), meat (mostly chicken) and eggs, and an occasional bagel.  I'm trying to kick the Diet Coke habit.  Supper was replaced with a light snack and I don't eat anything at night.  I'm usually hungry by the time I get to bed, but the hunger can't annoy me while I'm sleeping. Calorie count is probably 2200-2600 on most days although I don't track it closely.  Most of my runs are in the morning so I'll eat most of my calories for the day before and shortly after I run.  Last month I lost 13 pounds and hope to keep that pace up through September.  As the half marathon gets closer I may eat more and focus on building a bit more strength rather than losing weight.  I wish I would have started losing weight 6 months earlier and started jogging at least a couple months earlier this year to be better prepared, so I'll consider this year as preparation for next year's events.

C25K - graduated 7/9/10

---

Justiceworks' JustRun 5K - 9/4/10: 24:52

American Cancer Society Walk/Run 5K - 9/19/10: 24:20

Lettie's River Run 5K - 10/9/10: 24:59

• Bett Williams Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 21, 2009

Hi!  Great idea starting this post.  I love to talk about training to anybody that will listen!

I am training for my first full marathon, being held on October 17, 2010.  I am so excited.  i am also using the Hal Higdon novice plan, but I modified it just a tad since I am run/walking the event.  I also lengthened the program by 3 weeks, since I am going to be out of town a few times this summer and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get in all the training.  Hopefully, it's not modified so much to the point where I won't be able to finish the race.

My longest long run so far during this training plan is 12 miles, last Friday, and man, I felt great.  I was supposed to do a 7 miler today, but I slept in, so I'll tackle that tomorrow instead of doing my normal mile swim that I do on Saturdays.  Next Saturday, I am entered in a half marathon, which will be my second attempt at the distance.  It's going to be a hot one, and I am just hoping to finish it strong.  My very first half marathon was done in August 2009 (in very, very hot weather).  I have to say that even though I have fewer weeks of training under my belt than I did for the 2009 race (16 week FIRST HM training program), I almost feel better prepared because I know what to expect this time around.  I finished my first HM in 3 hrs and 18 minutes.  Although it would be great to finish a little faster than that this time around, I'm not going to be too disappointed if I dont, since I know that this is just a training run for the full marathon in October.  However, i am hopeful because my 12 miler last week, which I ran pretty slow and easy, I did 12 miles in just under 3 hours, and I was not pushing myself.  I can't wait!

I am a heavier runner, and so far, despite the higher mileage and cross training, I am still gaining a bit of weight.  I have been keeping a pretty tight eye on my calorie intake, but I am thinking that I might be having trouble shedding fat because I am not doing enough exercise in my fat burning heart rate zone.  I'm going to try adding a few hour-long walks to the training regimen to see if that helps with the weight loss.  My diet is about as good as it's ever been, with 7 to 8 servings of fruit, lots of good carbs, and limited fat intake every day.  I

It's so much fun reading about everyone's experiences.  It is nice knowing that there are other runners out there that are at the back of the pack with me, and we can encourage each other.  I love training, because every week is a new experience and a new personal best, which could be distance, time, pace, or just how you feel.  One day soon you're going to look back at a 4 miler, or a 6 miler, or even a 12 or 15 miler and say that you could do it again, no sweat.  Whoo hoo to us!

1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points