Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1324 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 7, 2010 9:56 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
Nate Brenk Rookie 2 posts since
May 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 3, 2010 2:40 PM

Pain in lower leg

For the past couple months, the muscle on the outside of my right lower leg has been cramping within a mile of the start of a run.  I did an 8 mile that was fine and then did a 6 mile a week later and the pain started.  It has gotten better; it takes about 2 miles for it to act up.  I would like to be rid of it though.  I do not think it's ITBS.  Possible overpronation maybe?  Anyone have any suggestions?

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,154 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 7, 2010 9:56 PM (in response to Nate Brenk)
    Re: Pain in lower leg

How long have you been running? If a long time, have you recently  increased your daily, weekly, or monthly mileage? Have you recently  increased the frequency or intensity of your workouts?

If  you haven't been running very long, the pain is understandable since  your body will take a while to adapt to the sport. If you really are  overpronating, the main muscle going up the lateral side of your lower  leg, Peroneus (or Fibularis) Longus is involved in pronation (eversion)  of the foot and could be overworked  as a result. Once again, if you  just started running the pain would be understandable, but if you've  been running a while as an overpronator the muscle should not suddenly  start hurting unless you have changed the length, frequency, or  intensity of your workouts. That last item - intensity - is important  because the Peroneus muscle is also a plantar flexor, which means a  faster pace will use it more. I recently cramped mine up after a  competitive 10k I did not train for.

Another item worth  mentioning is the terrain you are running on. People who run in excess  of a few miles are often running on roads, and most roads are   convex,  or canted to one side or the other for better drainage. Running on the  edge of such roads in order to avoid becoming roadkill is a frequent  cause of pain for those muscles like the Peroneus that tilt the foot  from side to side in order to match an uneven running surface. I've  tweaked mine good just running a 7-miler with only about half of it on a  seriously canted shoulder. Took about a week to recover from that  error.

If after considering the above items the pain is  still a mystery, there's more to discuss. The main plantar flexor  muscle of your calf (Soleus) is wide enough to be seen and felt on the  side of the lower leg just to the rear of the Peroneus. Once again,  intensity can crank it up (mine is still recovering from the 10k  as    well), but there's another muscle underneath it that can cause pain to  be felt on the lateral side. The Flexor Hallucis Longus muscle is  responsible for flexing the big toe, and it gets more work from  increases in intensity and running uphill. While it would be logical to  assume the muscle controlling the big toe would be on the same side as  the toe, its tendon actually crosses over to the rear of the Fibula  where the muscle lines the back of this bone. This arrangement gives the  foot prehensile leverage and the ability to focus the toes into a point  during push-off. I'm not sure yet if mine is also acting up, but it's  been sore in that location for days.

Here's a  visual aid for tracking your calf muscles... Hallucis...http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/footmuscles/flexorhallucis/tutorial.html

Peroneus  (Fibularis)...http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/footmuscles/fibularislongus/tutorial.html

My  favorite method for dealing with these calf muscles is to soap up my  fingers and massage them in the shower, working from bottom up with  strokes of moderate pressure. I will pause on stiff or painful knots to  press for a few seconds or rub them with a circular motion. The idea is  to alternately cut off and stimulate circulation in the area. Increased  blood flow = faster healing. If you encounter areas of intense burning  pain that do not respond in time to self-massage, there is the  possibility of fracture or other problems requiring further medical  attention. I sincerely hope your luck is better than that!

Meanwhile,   there are other ways to change your luck with cramps. Make sure the hot  weather has not depleted you of critical electrolytes like sodium,   potassium, magnesium and calcium, to name a few. Loss of these important  minerals through sweat may first become evident by cramping in your  skeletal muscles, but in cases like hyponatremia,  can eventually cramp your heart muscle, i.e.: result in arrhythmia or heart attack. Sports drinks usually supply some of these trace  minerals, but also unneeded sweeteners - real or artificial. A healthy  diet and possibly supplements will deliver the goods before it is too   late to absorb them. As far as sports drinks go, I'll use the popular  ones in a pinch - especially for carb-loading, but prefer to mix my own  unsweetened version with purified water, a pinch of salt and Electromix.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points