Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2838 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2010 11:38 AM by xCDOGx RSS
MCWing Amateur 18 posts since
May 31, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 8, 2010 7:35 AM

Balancing running w/ weight lifting

I am curious as to how everyone here balances their running/training with weight lifting? What days and distances do you run? What days do you lift? Do you avoid lifting your lower body the day before or day of longer runs? Do you lift and run on the same day? ETC....Please fill free to include as much detail about what you have foud to work best for you.

The reason I am asking is becuase I am still learning AND making mistakes with this balancing act. Thanks for your help

Margaret

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    1. Jul 8, 2010 8:25 AM (in response to MCWing)
    Re: Balancing running w/ weight lifting

I'm not sure that I've found the right combination but here is what I do and for me it's really kind of pushing the recovery envelope.  I run 45-60 miles per week, lift upper body twice per week in the AM usually Tuesday and Thursday.  I then run in the PM which are speed days for me.  I lift lower body on Monday and Wednesday in the AM and run longer easy or recovery runs in the PM.  I don't ever lift on long run days which is Sunday and I usually take a complete day off on Saturday.  This regime kicks my butt and I sometimes have to skip a lower body lift because I'm to sore and don't recover quick enough but generally I follow this schedule.  My lower body work out consists of weighted toe raises and step heel drops as well as weighted lunges and step ups.  I use only free weights or ankle weights and never lift heavy weight, usually 10-25lbs.  My upper body workout is also all free weights and again  light weight 25-45lbs.  Reps in both upper and lower body are 3 sets 15-25 reps per set.  I'm trying to develop lean muscle without gaining a bunch of mass and it seems to be working pretty well.  Again, this is a pretty aggressive weight lifting plan, for me anyway so I'd use caution doing to much to fast.  Running is the best way to build strength and building a base of miles seems to be the best place to start.  I'm in my third year of running and just started doing lower body workouts this year now that I have a good running base built.  Good luck and use caution!

Pete

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

Mar 5, 2008
    2. Jul 8, 2010 8:27 AM (in response to MCWing)

Another thing I forgot to add was I cut all weight training out completely once I start to taper for a race.

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

• evaino Amateur 28 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010
    3. Jul 8, 2010 9:03 AM (in response to Dog-lover)

I think Dog-lover's schedule sounds great, but I'd suggest cycling in some lower-rep and higher-weight lower body work. 15-25 reps is fully into the strength-endurance zone. You also want pure strength which you'll get in the 4-6 rep range with appropriately higher weights. You'll need more rest between sets for that.  Low reps do not add size, they add strength. Size gains occur in the 8-12 rep range (although this can vary with genetics).  I'd also recommend some hip-dominant movements to go with all of the knee-dominant stuff you're doing:  deadlifts or Romanian deadlifts or hip lifts are all great. This should all be complemented with some corrective exercises that will help keep your joints mobile and stable (as appropriate) to help your body handle the challenges of running.

Great to hear a question that shows you understand that strength work - including lower body - is important for runners! Many seem to think that they get enough strength from running so don't need to train. 

Elsbeth

http://www.customstrength.com

Mar 5, 2008
    4. Jul 8, 2010 9:56 AM (in response to evaino)

Elsbeth,  What do you consider appropriate weight for the pure strength lifts?  I'm concerned with strains lifting heavier weights.  I usually start my AM lower body lifting with a brisk 1-2 mile walk with my dog to get warmed up then stretch after I'm done lifting.  Any input would be appreciated.  Also, I've been lifting lower body since January and still struggle with sore tight muscles which sometimes affect the quality of my runs. I'm 52yrs old so age I'm sure plays a role in my slow recovery.  Again, any input would be appreciated.  Thanks, Pete

Jul 6, 2010
    7. Jul 8, 2010 9:25 PM (in response to Dog-lover)

Pete,

I'll go with the ever-popular "it depends".   It depends on the lift you're doing and on how strong you are.  Gradual increases are always good of course.  There are calculators that you can use for converting weight used in one rep range to another.  Without calculating, you can just try and start conservatively. You want to be able to complete all of the reps with good form. Once form goes, the exercise stops.  You'll also want to add extra rest between sets.

As far as strains, as long as you're lifting with good form and are taking in adequate nutrition, and are including appropriate corrective exercises to ensure you're encouraging proper muscle recruitment, then you shouldn't have an issue with strains.  If you're getting all of that, then I suggest you see what works. It might also be that you're doing too much volume of strength work. Also, I think the 1-2 mile walk is a bit of a waste of time as a warm-up - great idea as a life activity. 

If you're getting strains now, I would guess that you have too much volume in your strength workouts, you aren't getting enough protein (particularly post workout think somewhere between 2:1 carb:pro and 4:1), or that your overall volume is too high and you're bordering on overtraining.  Of course I say that without adequate information - so take it as a guess, not as gospel.

Actually my friend, Justin Levine, who is a strength coach and triathlete in Visalia California has just written a great e-book called "The Complete Triathlete", where he basically presents a strength training plan for triathletes. The book is completely applicable to runners as well. He explains the approach and then provides a 12-week sample strength workout based on 2 days/wk of lifting (instead of 4 - might be a good option for you if you're getting strains).  It's a great read, and as I recall he is charging way less than I suggested he charge - I think he's charging like $12 or something.  You can find it here:  www.justintrain.com.  (note - I do not have any financial affiliation with Justin's book - I just believe in his approach). 

And of course his warm-ups include great options for corrective exercises as well as some movement skills for running.

Elsbeth

Jul 6, 2010
    8. Jul 8, 2010 9:31 PM (in response to MCWing)

MCWing - see my post above to Doglover and consider checking out Justin's ebook.  Lots of corrective exercises. It's a bit of a lengthy topic for me to post corrective exercises. In general though, you want to think about doing mobility or activation work for muscles that tend to be either over or under used in running to make sure your body continues to work efficiently.  Think about ankle and hip flexor mobility, glute and hip flexor activation, core strength (including lateral/rotational), lower-trap activation and pec stretches.  All of these are particularly important if you're a desk jockey by day.  Also adding some lateral movements would be wise as you'll be underdeveloped there as a runner.  Also think about trying  2 days a week of lifting instead of 1: Strength doesn't make you slow! 

Elsbeth

Mar 5, 2008
    9. Jul 9, 2010 5:18 AM (in response to MCWing)

Good morning,  I have heard of the Rhodesian Ridgeback but know very little about them.  I searched info on them and it's pretty interesting, they seem like a really nice active and intelligent breed.  I'm no dog expert I just love the heck out of them! I'm an Australian Shepherd owner and just love the breed so much.  They are super smart, loyal, loving and full of energy.  My dog doesn't like running all that much and will go on a run willingly just to be with me but ends up kind of bored and slow.  Now I can take her on a 3-4 mile run and she'll seem super tired when we get home until she see her Frisbee's and bingo, all of a sudden she could play for hours and hours.  So I usually only take her on easy recovery runs with me and very few now that it's getting so hot.  High energy dogs are great if  you have the time to keep them active,  Aussies love to have jobs and love to please so my girl helps me do pretty much everything I do at home!! Cutting grass takes about twice as long with all the help I get from her..... gotta stop and throw Frisbees you know!! 

Good luck training for your 1/2 marathon, it seems like  your very interested in learning what kind of training works best for you and that's great!! That's what I do.  I've been doing it for going on 4 yrs now and I'm still tuneing and changing and learning what's the best training for me.  This is a great sight to get good idea's to try.  If you do continue weight training you will be amazed how strong you'll feel during taper as you cut back in both running and general strength. If your anything like me, there will be times as you get closer to your peak mileage that you'll feel pretty beat up.  Just use caution but push through, you'll get to the reward!!  Have fun and good luck!

Pete

• xCDOGx Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 27, 2010
    10. Jul 9, 2010 11:38 AM (in response to MCWing)

I am a recreational runner, but my current scheme is like this:

I work out Monday/Wednesday/Friday

I do a run in the morning or at lunch if I don't wake up in the morning.  This run is about 40 minutes.

Then in the evening I do the "Starting Strength" Workout. http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

This way Tues/Thur are complete recovery days.  Then I play some sports or race on the weekends.  I assume that I am not making maximum gains in running or lifting, but I am making gains at both, and I like the extra workouts.

Barefoot/Minimalist Runner

4/30/10 C25K Graduate

06/06/10 Hook and Ladder Run (5K) - 36:54 (Huaraches)

06/20/10 Spirit Run (5K) - 35:17 (Huaraches)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...