Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1684 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2010 5:03 AM by vcackerman RSS
jenniparks Amateur 13 posts since
Jul 9, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 9, 2010 6:57 PM

Staying Active on non-run days?

One FANTASTIC side effect of c25k (I am scheduled for w2d3 tomorrow, but it took me 2 weeks to nail w1, so i've actually been running for 3 weeks)  is that I have way, way, WAY more energy than I had previously. This fattie is ready to MOVE everyday. Each morning i wake up with this sort of nervous energy  compelling me to MOVE; to do something active and aerobic. Toward this end, I made the idiotic mistake of trying to run on a "rest" day which led to knee pain, having to ice, etc. So I understand now that at least for me I can't run everyday; I must give the major muscles of my leg a break every other day while I am new to running.

For more background let me note that I'm an IT geek who works in front of a pc all day long at home, so my work doesn't involve any manual labor. Other than the running on Tue, Thurs and Sat, i am doing yoga Tues evenings and strength training on Thurs and Sat. I have to do the weight training later in the afternoon on the same day as my runs because I need a day of recovery between the training and my next run or I'll be extremely sore on run day.

Basically, I am searching for aerobic activities to get moving that will not be high impact on my legs that I can do on Mon, Wed, Fri (sun will remain a total rest day). Suggestions, especially ones that have personally worked well for you are welcomed.

Thanks everbody!

~Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not   hear the music~

I blog on fitness and other random topics: http://songsofgratitude.blogspot.com

• greenjello Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 24, 2010
    1. Jul 9, 2010 7:52 PM (in response to jenniparks)
    Re: Staying Active on non-run days?

Cycling is good.  Running stresses the hamstrings (unless you do a ton of hills), so cycling (which stresses the opposing quadriceps) is good to do on off days.  It's low impact and you can raise your heart rate as much as you want to push it.

Swimming is another good alternative to keep your aerobic activity going on off days, but only if you make a workout out of it.

• emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    3. Jul 9, 2010 7:57 PM (in response to greenjello)

I do my strength training mostly arms on my days off, 50 sit ups, and also the elliptical .... but I also think it is crucial to give your body at least one day off from all activity, so I also do that too!

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

• greenjello Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 24, 2010
    4. Jul 9, 2010 9:51 PM (in response to jenniparks)

Work your way up on the bike like you did running, start slow and short in the beginning, and remember that it's supposed to be an off day, so don't go crazy on the bike either. 

• Dee54916 Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    5. Jul 14, 2010 1:10 PM (in response to jenniparks)

I love spin classes! Cycling on a stationary bike in a class setting. Its really motivating on the downside, your back side will be extremly sore for the first 3 classes. Its great cardio and even some classes that I have been to in the past work on strength also.

Good Luck and don't give up!

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jul 15, 2010 5:03 AM (in response to jenniparks)

You mention strength training on run days - I would recommend not doing legs on those days but rather doing them on a different day.   You are working the same muscle twice in essence.

For cardio activities, swimming is great as it's a full body workout with no impact to the joints. 

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...