Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1520 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2010 6:19 AM by JasonFitz1
Errnestinne Amateur 36 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 10, 2010 7:50 AM

'Injured list' diet adjustments ..??

I just got injured and will be out of running for quite some time.

I am not sure what type of physical activity I will be able to do .. and am wondering what are ways to adjust meals without putting on too much weight.

I have a fairly large appetite. I typically would run 10-16 miles 5 days a week.

I am a 21 year old female, and am not wanting to gain unwanted weight during my rehab phase, for the reason that when I go back to training, I dont want to feel bogged down, slow, heavy, etc. (this has previously happened to me as well.)

Any advice on adjusting nutritional intake would be great!

Decrease protien/carbs?

I eat natural foods.. nothing processed(unless its a protein/snack bar--luna, cliff, etc)

Lots of fruits, veggies, fish, turkey.. no chicken or red meat.

PLEASE GIVE INPUT!

• MCWing Amateur 18 posts since
    May 31, 2010
    1. Jul 10, 2010 8:50 AM (in response to Errnestinne)
    Re: 'Injured list' diet adjustments ..??

Hey, I recently got over an injury and found that by just reducing my portions a little and not snacking absent mindedly during my recovery worked fine for me. I did not gain weight this way. However, it was hard to adjust my appetite at first, because my metabolism is so fast. It helps if you can find an activity to replace running during your recovery to avoid boredom. Good luck and I hope your recovery goes smoothly!

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    2. Jul 11, 2010 7:04 PM (in response to Errnestinne)

Well it sounds like your diet is really good, which is half the battle with gaining weight.  If you won't be running or doing much cardio, you could try the paleo / primal diet.  It's a good way to stabilize your weight because it's essentially a low carb diet.

I'd also recommend lifting weights twice a week to help keep your weight down.  An intense, but fairly short, lifting session will dramatically increase your metabolism and burn a good amount of calories during (and after) your weight session.

Good luck!  - Fitz.

Strength Running
  • crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    4. Jul 11, 2010 8:47 PM (in response to Errnestinne)

If youi're able to do aerobic activities while sitting down, that would enable you to keep significant aerobic fitness and burn calories as well. A stationary bike would work well since the bike is not a weight bearing piece of equipment. If you have access to a gym, you might want to try both upright and recumbent types to see if either or both works for you. A rowing machine is another aerobic option where you would be in a sitting position. You'd need to determine if these activities work for you by trying them out and making sure they don't put stress on the injured area.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    5. Jul 12, 2010 6:19 AM (in response to Errnestinne)

Here's a good site about the primal diet (or "lifestyle" as they'd call it): http://www.marksdailyapple.com/.

Just keep in mind it's hard to do if you're running.  It's a good option when you're injured, can't run, and really want to manage your weight.

- Fitz.

Strength Running

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...