Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3642 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2010 2:55 PM by rbird RSS
Johnny Webb Amateur 26 posts since
Feb 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 10, 2010 3:48 PM

How do I keep my feet dry?

I'm training for my first marathon in 4 months, so I'm ramping up my miles. As I run longer distances I, obviously, sweat more. Being a heavy sweater my shoes and socks get soaked. Wet feet are no fun to run with, as all of you probably can attest. I'm finding at the 6-8 mile mark on my runs my feet get so wet they start hurting due to my socks sticking to my feet. If I stop and take off my shoes, adjust my socks, and put my shoes back on, I'm good for another 3 miles or so, but then it happens again. Do any of you have any advice on how to keep your feet dry during a run?

PR - 5K = 27:45

PR - 4M = 38:50

PR - 10K = 58:30

PR - Half Marathon = 2:01:05

PR - Marathon = 5:22:32

• gaellou Amateur 17 posts since
    Oct 26, 2008
    1. Jul 10, 2010 4:12 PM (in response to Johnny Webb)
    Re: How do I keep my feet dry?

Have you tried to apply baby powder?

Next race: August 8th Sprint Triathlon

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    3. Jul 10, 2010 4:38 PM (in response to Johnny Webb)

What kind of socks and shoes are you wearing? If you're wearing cotton socks, replace them with synthetic running socks.  There are also a lot of shoes out there with breathable mesh that will help dry out your feet as you're running.

The good news is that in 4 months it won't be as hot so you'll probably sweat less during your marathon.  Worse comes to worse, put those arm bands around your ankles to prevent sweat from dripping down your legs into your shoes.  It's so crazy it might even work

- Fitz.

Strength Running
  • bellsway Legend 343 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009
    4. Jul 10, 2010 6:13 PM (in response to Johnny Webb)

I've heard baking soda helps but I'm guessing you might be making it into a paste with all that sweat.  Have you tried an antipersperant?  If you use the stick kind ( some have a powdery feel) it may help your feet with the blister problem from the wet socks.

Plan your run and then run your plan.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Jul 11, 2010 8:35 AM (in response to Johnny Webb)

You can't really keep your feet dry.  Your feet have about 250,000 sweat glands (not sure if that's both feet or each).  I think that's about the highest density on the body.  I'm not clear on what hurts and why.  Do the socks bunch up?  Do you get blisters?  Do your feet rub on the shoes?  Frequently what feels like the sock sticking or bunching is actually a blister starting.  Are your shoes big enough?  Wiggle-room for your forefoot and toes?  A thumb-nail width between your longest toe and the front of the shoe?  I think you'd be better off trying other socks.  Thicker socks might work better (more absorption).  Thinner socks might do it (more wicking)  Double layer socks maybe - one layer next to your feet, the other next to the shoe - the layers take the friction.  You can't do much about your sweat rate (many of us have the same problem), and it can get costly to experiment.  But that may be your best bet.

Len

Len

• runnerchickie Amateur 36 posts since
    Jun 3, 2010
    7. Jul 11, 2010 10:47 AM (in response to Johnny Webb)

I had this same problem this morning, and I decided mid-run today that next time I do a long run I'm bringing an extra pair of socks and changing socks mid-run (going to safety pin them to my waist band). Sound crazy? Maybe, but I think it's really going to help me. Blisters would seriously cramp my style!!

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Jul 11, 2010 2:55 PM (in response to Johnny Webb)

I wear the thicker Thorlo running socks but even they get completely sweat soaked after about 10 miles this time of year.  My feet were pruned after a 13 mile run recently but at least I didn't get any blisters.  I've thought about changing into dry socks on long runs but haven't tried it yet.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points