Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1303 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 11, 2010 6:51 PM by JasonFitz1 RSS
kellyincolorado Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2010 1:03 PM

Adding Strength and Cross to Bridge-to-10K?

I'm a fairly new runner who just completed my first 4k race. My goals now are to a) finish a 5k in three weeks with a slightly improved pace, and b) to complete a 10k with no walking by the end of August (about 6 weeks from now).

I finished the c25k program and am now on Week 2 of the  Bridge-to-10k program. Interval training is definitely something that works for me. Does anyone have any advice about how to incorporate strength and cross training into this program? During c25k, I did 60 minutes of circuit training on my off days with one rest day per week, but I think that may be a bit much now that I'm spending considerably more time on my runs. Would love some advice from a more seasoned runner! My thoughts are:

Day 1 - B2-10k run

Day 2 - Stretch & strength

Day 3 - B2-10k run

Day 4 - Cross (30 - 60 min)

Day 5 - B2-10k run

Day 6 - Stretch & strength

Day 7 - Rest

Thanks for your help!

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 11, 2010 6:51 PM (in response to kellyincolorado)
    Re: Adding Strength and Cross to Bridge-to-10K?

Hi Kelly,

What type of strength and cross-training would you like to do?  The best types of cross-training for runners are pool running (aqua jogging), cycling, and elliptical (probably in that order) which you can do on your off days.  You can add strength work on your easy running days or on off days.

What do you mean that interval runs work for you?  I'd say for a new runner, you should be focusing on aerobic development and limit the hard, anaerobic interval stuff for awhile.  Aerobic development is the most important thing for a new runner.

Good luck, - Fitz.

Strength Running

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...