Skip navigation

4386 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2012 10:36 AM by runningangelinvt RSS
Ledomln6 Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 8, 2007 1:20 PM

Vegetarian Soups

With winter on its way, when I think of food one of the first things that comes to my mind is a tasty bowl of hot soup. Being a vegetarian I have found it difficult to find GOOD soup recipes. I'm looking for ideas about how to make a good batch at home...

• MelissaE Community Moderator 39 posts since
    Jun 7, 2007
    1. Nov 8, 2007 1:27 PM (in response to Ledomln6)
    Re: Vegetarian Soups

Well you're in luck. I just posted a fantastic vegetarian soup on my new recipe blog. Check it out!  It's for Sweet Potato, Corn, Kale, Squash Chowder. http://community.active.com/blogs/HealthyRecipesByMelissaE/2007/11/06/sweet-potato-corn-kale-and-squash-chowder. And I'll be updating the blog regularly with new recipes -- many of which will be vegitarian.  So visit: http://community.active.com/blogs/HealthyRecipesByMelissaE for new ideas.  

• Puppyleader Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Nov 16, 2007 10:06 AM (in response to Ledomln6)

HI,

There are two books that I have used extensively and certainly worth adding to your library.  One is Diet for a Small Planet by Frances Moore Lappe.  As is typically of most vegetarian cookbooks, half the book is about the benefits of vegetarianism.  The other book  is May All be Fed Diet for a New World by John Robbins.  This book has the best cold weather soup recipes that I have found in my 25+ yrs of being a vegetarian.  Be sure to try Potato Corn Chowder, and Creamy Butternut Squash Soup.  My notes in the book has "good on a cold day."  I found that making remarks in the cookbook helps me recall if it was a recipe I needed to modify, make again or forget forever.  Good luck in your quest.

• run2011 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 24, 2008
    3. Dec 21, 2009 10:52 AM (in response to Puppyleader)

Any cookbook by Mollie Katzen is highly recommended by me.  I grew up eating soups out of The Moosewood Cookbook and The Enchanted Broccoli Forest.  Also, check out the Horn of the Moon cookbook.

• ryder100 Amateur 25 posts since
    May 7, 2010
    4. Nov 24, 2010 9:06 PM (in response to Ledomln6)

Soup is very good for your health and fitness , when it is prepare from the vegetables than it is really make a

differece , the vegetarian soup is very effective for those people who want to lose their weight...

hgh

human growth hormone

• SaladSpinner Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 13, 2012
    5. Jun 18, 2012 2:05 AM (in response to Ledomln6)
    Vegetarian Soups

I love soups, I always try to use chunky whole vedgtables as your locking in all the nutrients inside the skin of each of the vedgtables. I find that having soups that are too watery simply is not allowing your body the time and abilty to absorb all the goodness from your meals.

Want Tasty Salad Made the Easy Way? Get A Salad Spinner

• DelanaHildreth Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 4, 2012
    6. Jul 4, 2012 2:52 AM (in response to SaladSpinner)
    Vegetarian Soups

So, I'm looking for some new soup ideas for lunch at school. I'm a vegetarian so things like bean soups, etc, would be great. Any ideas? I've made white bean soup with vegetables, that was good, and I have some frozen chili right now.

Regards

Delana Hildreth

• HannaMellows Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 5, 2012
    7. Jul 5, 2012 1:41 AM (in response to DelanaHildreth)
    Vegetarian Soups

Have you tried making a brocolli soup? Just mix it up with butter and a bit of mustard topings on top.

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    8. Jul 9, 2012 10:36 AM (in response to DelanaHildreth)
    Vegetarian Soups

Hi Delana,

Are you looking to make a soup out of your frozen chili? If so how about adding some vegetable broth, kale, green and/or yellow squash, some extra seasoning and let it heat up in a crockpot?

Kerry

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points