Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3703 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2010 4:46 PM by chelsearunner RSS
chelsearunner Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2010 5:27 PM

Why is the right water so important to all runners?

I have been given a huge runners tip..........and it worked for me!   Hydrate with ionized alkaline water which will hydrate and absorb 5 times faster into cells.

I have run the Crim 7 times and at 60 I am running faster than the first time I ran .....and no lactic acid pain the next day due to the super hydration....if the Japan hosptials use this water we probably all should be drinking this water.......I got my first water free to try......you have nothing to lose by trying this water.....your body will repair itself faster...by the way ...look at the label of your water...if it is "purified" or uses Reverse Osmosis to make it....it will be Acidic....just like energy drinks and soda.   Beware of acid....it eats things right? Reverse osmosiss takes out all the alkaline minerals from the water..that makes it acidic...spring water labels are ok...they must be alkaline by law.   Some of this information was on WXYZ TV  late night news about a month ago....go to their site and watch the health segment on Alkaline water......but most of all get some of this water....it makes a huge difference in performance  and the aftermath of a long run!

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009

Are there any studies that prove your point?  I'd like to review the literature out there.

How many elite runners use ionized alkaline water?

- Fitz.

Strength Running
  • crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007

Take a look on the web at the typical vendor prices for "water ionizers" - most of them are in the $1000 to $2000 range - and I'll let you all draw your own conclusions.

Compare that to the cost of a quality mainstream water purifier brand, like PUR or Brita, that costs about $30. Enough said.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• car2nwallaby Amateur 21 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

This reads like barely literate email spam.  Anytime you see someone writing in all caps or with dot-dot-dots every five words, do not believe it.

Let's think about digestion.  Suppose we were to drink alkaline (high pH) water.  Where does it go?  Into the stomach.  What is the stomach full of?  Gastric acid.  What happens the second alkaline water (if ionizers actually can produce this, which I doubt they do) hits the gastric acid?  It is immediately re-acidified.  The problem is, pure water has no buffering capacity, which means it will have zero effect on the pH of your stomach.  The only way to change the pH of your stomach is to consume alkaline salts, like alka-seltzer.  However, there's a reason stomach pH has naturally evolved to be acidic: it has to be for you to digest your food.  The only reason you would want to raise your stomach pH would be if you have been medically diagnosed with acid reflux or ulcers.

There are a few scientifically accurate statements in here though.  First soda is acidic (and with some buffering capacity), though that's not a problem for your stomach, it's more a problem for your teeth.  And then there's the sugar, but that's another story.  Second, reverse osmosis and distillation do remove minerals from water.  That's bad not so much because it makes the water acidic, but because this "purified" water is then hungry for minerals which it leaches from you.

Get a standard water filter and your water will be fine.

• Dees Dude Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 22, 2010

Sorry all, but the wallaby makes a lot of sense to me.

• potok2010 Rookie 99 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Last time i checked, no wild animal will pass by fresh spring water thinking, hmmm, nope, i am looking for ionized one. LOL, it is water, just drink it, dont make science out of nothing. BTW, you will still drink it from PVC bottle, while running next to the diesel 8V truck.

On the end, there is no such thing as ionized water. You simply cannot ionize water, it doesnt have enough conductivity to be ionized. Actually if you can ionize is, it is definately so dirty it should not be consumed by humans.

• madsdad03 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010

I agree about the alkalinity.  I am a chemist, BS Chemistry, that works for a specialty chemical company that is primarily focused on water treatment on the municipal and industrial markets.  Alkalinity is the main characteristic in water that facilitates many reactions and would suppose this is true in the human body as well.  I dont think it is necessary to spend alot of money on water that has been alkalized.  Check your local utility.  Many publish a CCR or cummunity confidence report that will tell you about their alkalinity.  Look for 80 mg/L or above for a good level.  Most ground water sources have high alkalinity as well as some surface waters.  I am a runner and believe in this principle, but it dont think its a cure all for everything as some do.  If your tap water alk is low, add some baking soda, sodium bicarbonate, to your water or chew up a tums, calcium carbonate, and drink water with it before you run. I have been adding about 1/2 teaspoon of bicarb to a 12-16 oz bottle of water. I like the flavor it adds too.  Be careful, I understand very high levels of alkaline meds can be a very bad overdose, but it is a very high level.  Keep in mind what sodas consist of.  Gas CO2 converts to carbonic acid which you are ingesting and taking away from your own buffer in your system, so stay away from these. The way I think of it is that alkalinity is a buffer which mediates the lactic acid or buffers it and changes its form from acid to a more neutral species or changes it to CO2 and expelled by the lungs.  I am not a doctor or any kind of health expert. I cant say for sure the alkalinity is helping my running because there are many factors that effect how you feel from day to day and remeber the placebo effect.  If I think something helps, that may be enough to make it feel right.  Just my thoughts on this issue.

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    7. Jul 27, 2010 11:33 AM (in response to potok2010)
    Re: Why is the right water so important to all runners?

potok2010 wrote:

Last time i checked, no wild animal will pass by fresh spring water thinking, hmmm, nope, i am looking for ionized one. LOL, it is water, just drink it, dont make science out of nothing. BTW, you will still drink it from PVC bottle, while running next to the diesel 8V truck.

On the end, there is no such thing as ionized water. You simply cannot ionize water, it doesnt have enough conductivity to be ionized. Actually if you can ionize is, it is definately so dirty it should not be consumed by humans.

Water is ionized, I think it is from the trace minerals in the water.  We use tap water for liquid cooling of chokes and have to de-ionize the water to prevent it from conducting.  When we start the conductivity of the water is around 500uS/cm.  After running through the de-ionizer for about 45 minutes the conductivity drops to less than 15uS/cm.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points