Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2188 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2011 10:42 AM by how2runfast RSS
RunningArends11 Rookie 9 posts since
Aug 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2010 4:28 PM

Watch for distance

Hello Running Community,

I have a forerunner 150. It has given me numerous problems. I have had issues with the watch holding battery life as well as the footpod. I am looking into getting a new watch that can keep track of speed and distance. What is the best bang for my buck? Suggestions? Thanks for the help.

• Billiken on the Run Pro 135 posts since
    Nov 28, 2007
    1. Jul 16, 2010 10:13 AM (in response to RunningArends11)
    Re: Watch for distance

I just replaced an old Garmin 201 with a 305.  It was a great purchase and a relative bargain from walmart.com at $150ish bucks, shipping included.  It's much bigger than a regular watch, though.  The newest Garmins are more watch-like but are also more expensive.

Joe

• Beer and Cupcakes Legend 970 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    2. Jul 16, 2010 5:18 PM (in response to Billiken on the Run)

I bought a Polar with footpod to track distance and pace,  but after about 50 runs I gave up with it.   The footpod is sensitive to your gait so if you change up your running with strides, slow/fast, tempo,  charging up hill, etc it screws up the distance and pace calculation just enough that you never really know if your improving.   In other words over time I look for a couple % improvement, but the footpod is off by 5% so I never really know where Im at.    I tried calibrating it on the track several times bla bla.  Just a pain.    I now use a GPS app in my droid phone and its incredible.  accurate, gives distance, pace, time,  voice announements every mile etc.   And its free,  I use SportyPal but theres others like Cardio Trainer.   Tried that one and its good too, and also free.

If you dont have a smartphone try one of the new watches from Garmin,  I just bought my wife the new Forerunner 110.    Its small,  girly (pink) and does all the neccesary's, pace, distance, time, heart rate etc.  very cool.

Virtual Racing Antagonist.  I run for beer and cupcakes.kenyan.jpg

1 Mile PR 6:44

5K PR 22:21 

10K PR 48:30

Half Marathon PR  1:48:43 

Marathon PR - 4:09:10  

i before e except after c, weird?

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    3. Jul 18, 2010 6:57 PM (in response to RunningArends11)

If you don't need/want a heart rate monitor (HRM), the Garmin Forerunner 205 is the best bang for your buck.  If you want to venture into the HRM world, the 305 is a better choice.  You can find both for around $150 to $200.  Great quality and user-friendly.  But of course, the 110 is also a good choice, but has less advanced timing features than the 205 or 305.

Other good watches include Polar and Timex. 

Given your focus on distance and speed, just look for a watch with a GPS function, and you'll be fine.  All three are great brands, but Garmin's probably the best for GPS capabilities.

Good luck!

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• sassigrass Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    4. Jul 28, 2010 10:30 AM (in response to ActiveWatches Dave)

I love my Garmin 305! I still have to explore all the options like the virtual partner, but everything has been great so far. My only complaints is sometimes it can take a while to locate the satelites when I first turn it on, and the size is really big for a woman with small wrists. All worth it though.

• stuu3270 Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    5. Apr 27, 2011 3:37 AM (in response to RunningArends11)

The good thing about the Forerunner 305 is that it is a Garmin. They are reputed to have the best accuracy and precision. When it comes to GPS watches the Garmin Forerunner has a better satellite fix.

Its a good all round watch and perfect for the beginner and pro alike. We have one and use it a lot. Very reliable and easy to use.

Best GPS For Running

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    6. Apr 30, 2011 10:42 AM (in response to RunningArends11)

Here's a blog post that I wrote that might help you:

6 Great GPS Watches for Under $200

Personally, I use a Garmin 305 with the Heart Rate Monitor.  It's a little "chunky", but it works well and the price is right at under $130.

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points