Skip navigation

9394 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2011 2:29 AM by nightmare123 RSS
Gaston1041 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 13, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2010 1:23 PM

I can breath just fine w/ a pull buoy but run out of breath w/o it? Any advise?

I can breath just fine w/ a pull buoy but run out of breath w/o it? Any advise? Those who watch me swim w/ the buoy say that even with its help my legs still drag.

• KurtinSC Pro 126 posts since
    Nov 23, 2009

A lot of people just starting up with swimming have a tendency to let their legs drop.  This causes a lot of drag which makes it harder to swim.  Often kicking harder to keep the legs up can be just as draining.

You want to maintain a flat body position in the water... you do NOT want your legs to drop.  Some things to try:

1.  Keep your head down.  The more you lift up your chin, the more your legs are going to want to drop toward the bottom of the pool.  Try making sure your nose is pointed straight down at the bottom of the pool, and breath directly to the side.

2.  Back off on your kick.  Kick only enough to keep your legs up... try to do all the work for moving forward with your arms.

3.  Roll your shoulders.  The correct freestyle stroke involves rolling your body from one side to the other (the shoulder up where your arm is recovering out of the water, the shoulder down that is pulling through the water).  This rolling motion will also aid in keeping your feet from dropping.

Many distance swimmers have a "2-beat" kick in the water for most of their race.  For every full stroke (one pull with the left, one with the right), they'll only kick twice.  The "standard" kick for a swimmer is more of a 6-beat kick... guys doing a 200 free will display something close to that.  And of course in the sprints you kick as fast as you can.  Slowing the kick down can have a huge positive impact in your endurance in the water.

• PedDoc1 Pro 159 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008

I agree completely with the above poster.  If you can breath fine with a pull buoy, but not without, your legs are dropping and/or splaying outwards and you are not "rolling to the air" because your legs are dropping.  In short, your balance is off.  Without trying to sound like a commercial, "total immersion" methods are almost entirely about getting your balance right so that you can decrease resistance.  In so doing, you pick up speed and comfort without increasing energy significantly.

Keys:  head down.  Your nose should be pointed at the floor of the pool.   If you do this, however, your breathing is going to be VERY difficult unless you learn to roll to the air while still keeping your balance.  Keeping your balance will require that you have "wide tracks," that is, that your spearing arm goes forward and does not approach your midline.  Best if the spearing arm is at shoulder width. 

Your legs play very little role in all of this.  Where your head is facing and pointing and where your arms/hands hit the water and end up at full extension are going to play the largest role in fixing your problems.

Try checking out a "Total Immersion" book, or better yet, DVD, from the local library if you can.  You'll see very quickly why you're struggling.  Most of us struggle with exactly the same thing.

05/09 Bridge the Gap, Quincy, Ill HM: 1:45:27
  • Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008

Everyone is spot on.  If you are not able to catch a breath you need to work on your balance issue.  Take the bouy and let the dog use it as a pull toy.  The more toys you use in the pull the more they become a crutch.  Swimming is a progression.  First Balance, then Form, then Stroke.  You really need to concentrate of correct body form by doing side and back drills them you start to slowly add stroke mechanics.

It seems like a slow progression.  However, swimming is mostly about form in the beginning.  With correct balance and form, the speed will come.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• elderswimmer Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 11, 2010

While it is true that dragging legs make it harder to maintain proper position to breathe, he says he runs out of breath.  This is a different problem.  Older swimmers, or swimmers lacking conditioning often breath well with buoys but need more oxygen without.  When you use pull buoys you are not using your largest muscles-glutes and thigh and calf muscles.  These are great oxygen users.  When you swim without the buoys you kick to keep level and oxygen usage goes up.  This causes that out of breath feeling.  Concentrate on leg fitness and body position!

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008

Read the book Call to Suit.  It is a great book and really explains swimming better than any other.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• mapanoy Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 20, 2011

I agree that when people begin with swimming have a tendency to let their legs drop. You are right that it's the cause of the difficulty to swim.

how much should i weigh for my height

how to lose 60 pounds in 2 months

• nightmare123 Amateur 15 posts since
    Nov 17, 2011

nice link sharing dear,

But I used to scare from water, as I have waterphobia.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points