Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3303 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2011 8:20 AM by Art Davis RSS
BrianaKO Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 15, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 15, 2010 8:38 PM

It's official...I'm running my first marathon!!!

Hey everyone!

I'm a first time marathoner looking for tips on endurance training & the Big Race.  I was a sprinter back in the day, and I've just started running again.  I always hated long distance running but lately I keep pushing myself farther and faster.  So I'm doing my first marathon to see what I'm really made of.  Any advice?

Briana

• rlmuck Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 22, 2010
    1. Jul 21, 2010 10:00 PM (in response to BrianaKO)
    Re: It's official...I'm running my first marathon!!!

I am in the same boat... I am just getting back into running and I have given myself a year of training before I do the big 26.2... my first! I have been training for 5 months now and am going further and faster each week. Right now I am in the middle of miles building training and experimenting with my diet. I hope to have everything "figured out" in the next few months before I begin the 18 weeks of training leading to the main event. My biggest concern are injuries and reconditioning my body for longer and longer distances. Congrats and Good Luck!!!

• Ken R Amateur 13 posts since
    Aug 4, 2008
    2. Jul 22, 2010 9:16 AM (in response to rlmuck)

You may want to consider getting an online running coach to help.  check out www.5speedrunning.com

Have fun and get it done!

Coach Ken

Visit Running Coach Ken at 5 Speed Running

1 Question Runners' Survey

Free Running Training Handbook

• znovitske Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 23, 2009
    3. Dec 15, 2010 12:11 AM (in response to BrianaKO)

Have you tried a half marathon first?  Main thing is to have a plan, stick with it, and staying injury free.  Good luck.

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 15, 2010 7:31 AM (in response to BrianaKO)

I just completed my first marathon and the whole process was a grand adventure.  It was hard work but worth every moment.

I agree with the advice to find people to run with.  I think joining a local running club this year was instrumental in helping me achieve my goal.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    5. Dec 15, 2010 7:36 AM (in response to BrianaKO)

You did not list a time when you are going to run your first marathon. I think that is a good thing, and congratulations on your decision.

You ask for advice -- I think the first thing to do is start logging some mileage and see how your body reacts.

When you start placing the stresses of LDR on the body you need to watch for injury. Responsibly adding mileage to your routine will help this way. The muscles, bones, ligiments, etc all need to get stronger -- this happens by building your mileage up.

Personally, I would add a few races -- 10K and a half marathon -- not because it is a must but the experience helps with pacing and dealing with the excitement of a race -- plus, I just find them fun.

Then down the road pick a marathon you want to run -- get a marathon training plan (google it for free ones) and work with the plan. Read and work on the nutrition end of running.

I would not set a goal at first except to finish.

• jenkins4life Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 5, 2010
    6. Dec 15, 2010 9:45 AM (in response to skypilot77)

Whenever my training would get above 10 miles a day I would have issues with my stomach. During the run, after the run, almost the whole day. I am not sure if you have a similar issue, I know it is fairly common among long distance runners. At least runners who are just getting into long distance running.

I use PREV to control my stomach now. http://preventprevail.com

It allows me to run over ten miles without messing up my digestive system all day.

Best of luck on your training!

Tim Jenkins

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    7. Dec 15, 2010 10:55 AM (in response to BrianaKO)

AWESOME!!  CONGRATS on your decision to run a marathon!!  It is exciting, right?  I am also running in my first marathon next month, Jan. 2011!!!

I have always been active in various sports and did run in my 'younger' days but in the past three years, I have been competing more in 10k, 15k, 1/2 marathons, 25k, etc., and at 50 y/o, I am amazed that I am finishing ahead of others practically half my age!  YES!!

I thought I was content with racing in such events, and really never thought seriously about running a marathon but last year, after finishing a 1/2 marathon under 2 hours, "why not?" ....... INSANE, running for HOURS,  haha!

I prefer and love trail running so my competitive spirits craves the training runs in the mountains.  One of the major challenges I find is getting use to running and racing on pavement as the marathon will be all road course. So I have been racing both, trail and road courses since summer. 

I have been training for most of the year and I am very confident that I can finish ......... the question is: how well? Other runners constantly tell me to just think about 'finishing'...........

My training runs on the trails have definitely helped in overall performance in regard to strength, endurance and speed.

So sometimes in the next couple of weeks, I have to run at least 22 miles and then start tapering off to rest my muscles for the big day; I am so looking forward to it!

I absolutely agree with others that you need to give yourself plenty of time to train consistently, whether you feel like it or not.  And, to try 10k, 1/2 marathons, etc. to get a feel for running in a race event and focusing on form, pace, breathing, nutrition, hydration, etc.  There is a lot to be said for training and just 'running' in preparation for a marathon.

GOOD LUCK!!

Trail runner

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    8. Jan 21, 2011 8:20 AM (in response to BrianaKO)

I am 52 years old and ran my first marathon, The Cincinnati Flying Pig in 2008.

I am currently training for the Southern Indiana Classic Marathon in April and I have started a blog to document my progress.

Good Luck!

Check out my blog, I would appreciate any questions, comments, critiques, suggestions, etc.

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Art Davis

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points