Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1218 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2010 6:55 AM by lenzlaw RSS
djsturtevant Amateur 16 posts since
May 23, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 16, 2010 2:42 PM

Out with an ankle sprain.  What can I do?

I sprained my ankle on Monday stepping in a hole while on a hike.  This was one of the worst sprains I've had and I have experienced many.  My ankle looked like someone had shoved a tennis ball inside of it.  Clearly running is out of the question for a few weeks, I even had to miss a 5k this week because of it.  It is healing and I am RICE-ing the heck out of it.  However, I am getting a little punchy.  

I am going to start going to the gym in the next day or two to continue my weight lifting program that I began a few months back.  I'll be doing activity that only involes sitting until I can bear extra weight while standing.  I know I'll lose some level of conditioning, endurance, and speed but what can I do when I work out to help minimize that loss?  Should I focus on my legs more often?  Ideas for exercises to help?

• Haselsmasher Legend 513 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Jul 17, 2010 6:28 AM (in response to djsturtevant)
    Re: Out with an ankle sprain. What can I do?

It's a little dusty, but I wrote a short article about sprained ankle and rehabbing it.  It's not comprehensive - but it has some ideas.

I think the bottom line is 1) work on getting the nervous system working well so the ankle and brain can sense when it's in a bad situation and 2) make it strong so if it needs to react it has the strength to do so.

If you haven't already I'd look at going to a good sports PT.  They'll have all sorts of things you can do to make it better.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jul 17, 2010 6:55 AM (in response to Haselsmasher)
    Re: Out with an ankle sprain. What can I do?

Ditto on going to a PT.  The last time I sprained an ankle I did the usual RICE home treatment and didn't run for a couple weeks.  When I tried to go back to running, I still couldn't.  PT fixed me up in a 10 or 12 visits, and I added some ankle strengthening exercise to my routine.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...