4461 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2010 12:21 PM by Phenom70 RSS
KingJames24 Amateur 13 posts since
Apr 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 19, 2010 6:22 AM

Better D or O?

Better Defense or offense?

Which helps you win?

I say both because the D has to get the ball in order to play good offense .....but without good offense you cant score.

• adanny14 Legend 590 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    1. Jul 19, 2010 6:30 AM (in response to KingJames24)
    Re: Better D or O?

Yeah, this is always a tough question to answer, but here's what I think. I would say defense is more important because it helps you get your offense into its rythm. Look at it like this. If you aren't a good half-court team, then you HAVE to create turnovers on the offensive side of the ball, so you can score transition baskets. Of course, if you give up baskets, then you have to throw it in, and teams will try to fluster you with the press. So that's my opinion. But, in reality it could go either way.

• ToughD Legend 502 posts since
    May 11, 2010
    2. Jul 19, 2010 6:48 AM (in response to adanny14)

Yeah I say D is better because if you can't score a single basket the entire game, but don't let the opposing team score at all either, then you might get fast break points.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

- Kevin Durant

• ericbenjaming Legend 456 posts since
    Jan 5, 2009
    3. Jul 19, 2010 10:07 AM (in response to KingJames24)

I remembered there's a same thread talking about this, but I'd continue saying "Great O = D".

• Pointguard1995 Legend 304 posts since
    Apr 24, 2010
    4. Jul 19, 2010 12:11 PM (in response to KingJames24)

Defense>Offense

• akabuckets Expert 43 posts since
    Apr 24, 2010
    5. Jul 19, 2010 2:48 PM (in response to KingJames24)

Im going with offense although defense a key to winning too, offense allows you score. The team with the most points wins. If a team plays bad defense then the other team scores. If their offense is superior then they will score and the game will be back and forth(which still isn't good).

If a teams offense is bad then they can't score and therefore can't win. Even if they have lockdown defense eventually the other team will score and they will win the game. All of this is just in theory and is just my opinion.

• KOnyima Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 4, 2010
    6. Jul 19, 2010 3:05 PM (in response to KingJames24)

Defense wins games. Point blank. Good defensive posessions create more offensive possesions and if you take advantage of your offensive possesions and then get back and play good D and create more opportunities, you'll win. Look at Boston, LA, they play scrappy on the defensive end and thats what wins games.

• Busdriverkid Legend 362 posts since
    Apr 16, 2010
    7. Jul 19, 2010 3:19 PM (in response to KingJames24)

Yeah, I could write a big article about this but here's the fact Defense leads to Offense...

• PHXSuns1 Legend 361 posts since
    Apr 25, 2010
    8. Jul 19, 2010 4:55 PM (in response to KingJames24)

I got Better D then O, I put Hard Defense on the other people and its hard sometimes I lack when I have a bad Day. My Offense is my shooting but they go in and Out.

• Phenom70 Legend 574 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    9. Jul 27, 2010 11:40 PM (in response to PHXSuns1)

Defense wins Championships.

You could have the best offensive team in the league, but a tough, physical defense will disrupt the rhythm of your offense. Check the '08 Celtics against every team, but mostly the Lakers. They couldn't stop Kobe, but they made it difficult on him, but even harder on his teammates. If you make other players beat you beside a reliable scorer, it'll be harder for the offense to flow, and when people who are not use to having the ball as much in games, they'll panic, and make a bad pass, and a great team defense will catch the error, and turn it into 2 points for there team.

Offense is important, and the best players know how to score. But, defense is most likely to win you games.

If your team shoots 60% from the field, then the defense is bad. If the offense shoots 30%, the defense is great, and if you shoot under 30% and don't at least outrebound your opponents, which is also a defensive stat, then don't count on winning.

• Fox97 Pro 94 posts since
    Jul 22, 2010
    10. Jul 28, 2010 9:27 AM (in response to KingJames24)

Both are just as important as the other. If you dont have offense you cant score, but if you dont have defense the other team will just run wild. They both are important to winning

• Zacksly Expert 40 posts since
    Jul 24, 2010
    11. Jul 28, 2010 10:28 AM (in response to KingJames24)

The Best defense is a good offense.  Good defense leads to  easy offense.

Attachments:
  • Lancer4 Amateur 41 posts since
    Jan 27, 2010
    12. Jul 28, 2010 11:16 AM (in response to KingJames24)

D

• D3wood Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 25, 2010
    13. Jul 28, 2010 12:01 PM (in response to KingJames24)

I say defense because playing good D makes turnovers and steals and then u get  fastbreak point

Attachments:
  • Phenom70 Legend 574 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    14. Jul 28, 2010 12:21 PM (in response to D3wood)

Exactly.

Your team can struggle offensively all season, but if they have stellar defense, it'll disrupt the other offense, and lead to easy offense for your team. Which will not only boost team morale, but people may get hot off layups, and may start hitting a few jump shots. Defense will get you points if you execute on the fast break, whether you attack hard and draw the foul and get your free throws, or you dish it to a teammate.

I remember I played in a championship game for a rec team awhile back, and we won by scoring more, and rebounding. The team we played was much bigger than us, and we tried to use speed, and we weren't use to that tempo. We missed a lot of shots, no one wanted to shoot, and some wanted to ball hog. Team chemistry was messed up, and by the second half, we had defeated ourselves. It happened about two or years ago, but it's still in my memory. Then, it didn't help that we couldn't get our shots off and attacked the basket, but we'd get ripped or blocked, and they got easy fast break points.

But, I learned from the failure, and I take pride in my defense more now. And there is no better feeling then stealing the ball from someone and scoring two easy points, or poking the ball lose to a teammate, or diving for a loose ball and getting your team energized! The more interested your team is on defense, I'm sure they'll be fired up to get back on offense for fast breaks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...