Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

725 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2010 8:37 PM by saratogaslim RSS
saratogaslim Rookie 4 posts since
May 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 18, 2010 8:37 PM

First 5k, super fun! Now to keep going...

Wow, now that was awesome!  I ran in my first one on Friday, the Run for the Gulf 5k in Arlington, VA.  I used the C25k starting in early May for the most part, with some variation towards the end, and what a blast. Everyone was so nice, and I really enjoyed the atmosphere of just going out and having a good time and doing your best.  It was a head index of high 90s but I'm glad I went anyway!  I can't wait for  my next one...already registered for a couple.

I have really hit a few road blocks, I've got rotten knees from old running days in HS (track and XC), and my other sports, about which I'm pretty serious.  I think what helped me a ton, and will continue to help, is getting a gym membership and augmenting my running with low or no impact exercise as well.  If I am really feeling battered, it was just as easy to drive up the road and have a good elliptical workout as it was to run...even if not as fun.  I really do find the different exercises enjoyable, though.

That said, I would really like to hear about what people with chronic injuries do to keep going.  I already have done injections in the not-so-distant past, and they do help, but obviously not something to do regularly.  Sometimes I wear a ring brace, but I don't feel a lot of difference.  Does anyone have any experiences with good exercises, stretches, etc?  Magic bullets?   I'd love to hear!

Also, I would like to plan to do a 10k or two in the fall.  I was looking at Hal Higdon and would love to know people's thoughts/experiences on beginner 10k programs.

Happy running, even in this gross heat!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...