Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2083 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2010 9:09 PM by JTrempe
HowCome17 Amateur 27 posts since
Aug 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 19, 2010 3:54 PM

Achilles Tendonitis

I have achilles tendonitis, very mild, grade 1.  However, I have been able to get rid of it despite reducing my mileage significantly from 12 miles a week to 4-6 miles a week, and all runs are easy runs preceded by a thorough warm-up.  My achilles does not bother me during the run or even after.  It bothers me in the morning or after a long period of sitting.  It will bother me though if I try to do explosive movements while running/walking or if I walk around the house barefoot.  I try icing but my achilles gets too cold too quick, depsite wrapping the ice in rags.  I am able to still do calf raises and lower leg exercises in the weight room without issue and I do stretch.

So, I wondering if anyone has any advice for this?  Should I stop running completely?  I've been told pain should be my guide.  I was wondering if anyone thinks compression socks might help.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Can't rush running...
  • Sknib Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 16, 2010
    1. Jul 21, 2010 10:38 AM (in response to HowCome17)
    Re: Achilles Tendonitis

I currently have peroneal tendonitis.  I was told by the ortho doc to rest and take Naproxen for 6 weeks.  My suggestion would be NO RUNNING!  It sucks (ALOT) to not be able to run but I keep telling myself its for the best.

• Curt & Kristin Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 17, 2009
    2. Jul 21, 2010 12:43 PM (in response to HowCome17)

Check out www.trekoclinics.com. Fairly new site that gives some great info on self PT treatment for running related injuries, including yours. Good luck!

• drsdowell Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 25, 2009
    3. Jul 22, 2010 7:42 PM (in response to HowCome17)

As a sports medicine doc I have to say that your best bet is to intervene. There are a ton of different options for you and to answer your question I would agree that you need to stop running for a while. Find someone who can do some aggressive tissue work on you. I am not talking about a massage. I mean some deep, aggressive stuff that will lengthen the tissues and break up adhesions within the muscles, fascia, and connective tissue. Your best bet is to find a chiropractor or physical therapist who does Active Release Techniques. Foot, Achilles, calf, and hamstrings all need to be treated.

Most of these practicioners should have ultrasound in the office as well and you need to take advantage of what it can do for you. Ultrasound will complement the tissue work as it breaks protein bonds with collegen fibers and therefore weakens scar tissue build-ups. It also increases the metabolism of the treated tissues which will speed your recovery.

Sitting around waiting for something to heal is unfortunately the most common choice of athletes. It is also a huge mistake. It will prolong your injury and will most likely result in tissue that is not optimally healed.

Using pain as your guide is important but don't let your mind be at ease just because no pain is present. Soft tissue injuries have a good chance of recurrence if you don't work hard on keeping those tissues healthy (pain or not).

My best,

Dr. D

• JTrempe Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 17, 2010
    4. Jul 30, 2010 9:09 PM (in response to HowCome17)

Hi,

As a physical therapist I would recommend that you cut back running for a bit.  Consider seeking physical therapy.  Utilize ice massage instead of regular ice...only 3-5 minutes is all you need.  Tendonitis generally does feel better when warm and painful after extended rest (such as overnight).

For specific information and treatment ideas visit:

http://www.joint-pain-solutions.com/achilles-tendonitis-treatment.html

~JTrempe PT, ATC

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...