Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3050 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2011 7:55 AM by Art Davis
coolcin Amateur 25 posts since
May 6, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 21, 2010 11:11 AM

Training program for half marathon

Hi! I'm starting a training program for a half marathon on Oct 31st. I am not new at running but I would like advice on what kind of training program for someone 55 years old. I read where you should not have any junk miles at this age. I have run 2 marathons and tons of other races but I want to minimize my chances of an injury.

I had a goal pace of an 8 minute mile. I don't know if this is going to work or not. I ran my 2 marathons at a 10 min mile with my last one around 3 years ago this Dec.

I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

• Jennifer Prestwich Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 19, 2010
    1. Jul 21, 2010 11:15 AM (in response to coolcin)
    Re: Training program for half marathon

I don't really have any age-related advice, but I do like the training programs you can get through Runner's World.  They actually have an article about 1/2 Maras in this month's issue too.

Good Luck!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jul 21, 2010 11:31 AM (in response to coolcin)

What do you think constitutes "junk miles"?  Let me put it this way.  If you design your training plan so that each run has a purpose - base-building, speed, recovery, long, etc. - then none of them are junk miles.  I think the main thing is to listen to your body, don't overdo it or push too hard, take days off when you're tired, and watch your form.  If your form starts to suffer, it's time to back off for a few days.

You should be able to use one of the online plans, maybe adapting it to your desired weekly mileage and workouts (speed sessions, etc.).  Possible sources include www.halhigdon.com, www.runnersworld.com (SmartCoach), and Active.Com - http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/144.shtml.

As for the 8 minute pace, that depends on you and where you're at, training-wise.  Has your training the last couple years kept you capable of that kind of pace?  If you're not close now, you're not likely to get there by Oct. 31st.

Len

Len

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    3. Dec 24, 2010 6:14 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Thanks for sharing Len!!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • biscuitballista Rookie 18 posts since
    Dec 19, 2005
    4. Jan 27, 2011 12:26 PM (in response to ColoCorredor)

I agree about the Runners World programs.  I ran a half marathon 18 months ago following the "Your Ultimate Half Marathon Program", and I modified it by blending the intermediate with the advanced program. Last year I trained for a 15k by following virtually the same program though it was a little more the advanced than the intermediate.  I got great results both times.

Also, I use the McMillan calculator to determine my training paces.   http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm  The paces suggested by the Runner's World program are based upon the pace you would like to run the race, and that is not usually a good way to determine your workout paces. Rather, base that upon your current fitness level, and let the calculator provide you with the tempo paces, interval paces, long run paces, etc.

Good luck with your half marathon!

Brian

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    5. Jan 28, 2011 7:55 AM (in response to coolcin)

I agree with Runner's World they have very good articles and training programs.

I am 52 years old and have lost 60 pounds by running and watching what I eat.

I am currently training for my 4th full marathon and have started a blog to document my progress.

Any and all comments will be appreciated and please check out my sponsors as they make this blog possible!

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points